Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times

Advertisements

Should undocumented students receive the same access to public services as U.S. citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Should undocumented students receive the same access to public services as U.S. citizens?
No. Why should they (illegals) be rewarded for participating in breaking the law?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:20 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
No. Why should they (illegals) be rewarded for participating in breaking the law?
I agree.
There would be no benefit as an American if illegals access the same resources as us.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
As much as I want to be sympathetic to these kids I'm always struck by the lack of gratitude they seem to have. At no point does the person in the article express happiness that Americans provided her with an education up to and including a college degree. At no point does she say thank you, let alone tell us that was a nice thing we did. At no point does she ever admit that Americans had every right to deport her and that her mother did something fundamentally wrong.

Instead all get from her is whining that we haven't done more for her.

My great-grandparents who immigrated LEGALLY were happy to be here. They were grateful. The last thing on their minds was getting Americans to provide for their needs at every turn. They knew that if they could not succeed they would have to leave.

What do we get today? Complaints that Americans not only have the nerve to enforce our laws but pure anger that we don't want to reward law breakers!

Unreal.

Illegals should not have access to anything but a jail cell, a fine and a firm warning to go home and stay home. They most certainly should not have access to a small pot of higher education funding that many natives don't even get access to.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
My bf yesterday told me one of his classmates is an illegal alien from the Dominican Republic. She spoke freely about it and also added that the state is paying for education!!!

What the heck is this????

Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
As much as I want to be sympathetic to these kids I'm always struck by the lack of gratitude they seem to have. At no point does the person in the article express happiness that Americans provided her with an education up to and including a college degree. At no point does she say thank you, let alone tell us that was a nice thing we did. At no point does she ever admit that Americans had every right to deport her and that her mother did something fundamentally wrong.
Instead all get from her is whining that we haven't done more for her.

My great-grandparents who immigrated LEGALLY were happy to be here. They were grateful. The last thing on their minds was getting Americans to provide for their needs at every turn. They knew that if they could not succeed they would have to leave.

What do we get today? Complaints that Americans not only have the nerve to enforce our laws but pure anger that we don't want to reward law breakers!

Unreal.

Illegals should not have access to anything but a jail cell, a fine and a firm warning to go home and stay home. They most certainly should not have access to a small pot of higher education funding that many natives don't even get access to.
Absolutely! I am thoroughly disgusted by their total lack of gratitude. Not only her, but the whiny Dreamies on their website, never cease to amaze me with their delusional sense of entitlement. What makes them believe we owe them something simply because their lawless parents brought them here illegally?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:50 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
as john mccain expressed , this is all the fault of congress who refused to address illegal immigration.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:02 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
My bf yesterday told me one of his classmates is an illegal alien from the Dominican Republic. She spoke freely about it and also added that the state is paying for education!!!

What the heck is this????
It’s BS. That’s what it is. Dreamies are getting tuition assistance from several states. Actually, I can’t think of too many benefits illegals don’t get, either legally or fraudulently.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Plyler decision US Supreme Court....

The children who are plaintiffs in these cases are special members of this underclass. Persuasive arguments support the view that a State may withhold its beneficence from those whose very presence within the United States is the product of their own unlawful conduct. These arguments do not apply [p220] with the same force to classifications imposing disabilities on the minor children of such illegal entrants. At the least, those who elect to enter our territory by stealth and in violation of our law should be prepared to bear the consequences, including, but not limited to, deportation. But the children of those illegal entrants are not comparably situated. Their "parents have the ability to conform their conduct to societal norms," and presumably the ability to remove themselves from the State's jurisdiction; but the children who are plaintiffs in these cases "can affect neither their parents' conduct nor their own status." Trimble v. Gordon, 430 U.S. 762, 770 (1977). Even if the State found it expedient to control the conduct of adults by acting against their children, legislation directing the onus of a parent's misconduct against his children does not comport with fundamental conceptions of justice.

[V]isiting . . . condemnation on the head of an infant is illogical and unjust. Moreover, imposing disabilities on the . . . child is contrary to the basic concept of our system that legal burdens should bear some relationship to individual responsibility or wrongdoing. Obviously, no child is responsible for his birth, and penalizing the . . . child is an ineffectual -- as well as unjust -- way of deterring the parent.

Weber v. Aetna Casualty & Surety Co., 406 U.S. 164, 175 (1972) (footnote omitted).

Of course, undocumented status is not irrelevant to any proper legislative goal. Nor is undocumented status an absolutely immutable characteristic, since it is the product of conscious, indeed unlawful, action. But § 21.031 is directed against children, and imposes its discriminatory burden on the basis of a legal characteristic over which children can have little control. It is thus difficult to conceive of a rational justification for penalizing these children for their presence within the United States. Yet that appears to be precisely the effect of § 21.031. [p221]

So do they become illegal when they reach adulthood?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Absolutely not!!!

When Mexico and the other countries Illegal Aliens come from start paying benefits and providing for Americans that illegally entered their countries and violated their laws and are rewarded equally, maybe then we can call this fair and revisit this issue. At this poin in time HELL NO !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration