Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:37 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,422,270 times

Advertisements

These immigrants that so many scream about support those on the Left. They are Obama supporters, and they're going to help give him a second term too. Only the Left is willing to acknowledge that those who are less fortunate may require a bit more consideration to advance their educational aspirations. I'm all for any mechanism that helps as many underprivileged people as possible, get a higher education. The parents of these kids came here illegally, and these kids grew up here. For all intents and purposes, they are citizens, just undocumented. Those who worked hard in school and are qualified for college, should be helped.

For centuries, only whites were allowed to go to college. Glad to see the opportunity extended to those less privileged, those here because their parents came as immigrants seeking to realize the American dream we market so effectively around the globe, and those who have historically been discriminated against. If the GOP had its way, ONLY the most privileged would be able to go to college. They represent the ultimate regression, exclusion, divisiveness, and bigotry.

For you people on the Right, scream on. This society is moving AWAY from your ideal which is the preservation of the hierarachy that emerged from slavery and a continuation of the benefits of "unearned privilege." Good move by California!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 10:40 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,493,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
They are awarding the scholarships to the best residents of California. You prefer they go to the someone else?

Given that the vast majority of these kids are virtually certain to end up citizens it sounds rational to me on that basis as well.
More an more people are mad as hell bout any sort of amnesty. There WONT be any amnesty. Time for those Dream kids to just go home, we dont em here.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:42 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,493,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
These immigrants that so many scream about support those on the Left. They are Obama supporters, and they're going to help give him a second term too. Only the Left is willing to acknowledge that those who are less fortunate may require a bit more consideration to advance their educational aspirations. I'm all for any mechanism that helps as many underprivileged people as possible, get a higher education. The parents of these kids came here illegally, and these kids grew up here. For all intents and purposes, they are citizens, just undocumented. Those who worked hard in school and are qualified for college, should be helped.

For centuries, only whites were allowed to go to college. Glad to see the opportunity extended to those less privileged, those here because their parents came as immigrants seeking to realize the American dream we market so effectively around the globe, and those who have historically been discriminated against. If the GOP had its way, ONLY the most privileged would be able to go to college. They represent the ultimate regression, exclusion, divisiveness, and bigotry.

For you people on the Right, scream on. This society is moving AWAY from your ideal which is the preservation of the hierarachy that emerged from slavery and a continuation of the benefits of "unearned privilege." Good move by California!
ILLEGAL aliens dont deserve a thing xcept deportation. An many Hispanics ARE white, even illegal Hispanics. They ALL need to go home.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:51 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,876,624 times
Quote:
Bullsh*t. They are residents. They may also be unlawful and deportable. Then again virtually anyone not a US citizen is deportable.
They are not residents. Residents cannot be deported at any moment. They most certainly can. They're arrogant foreign nationals.

Quote:
Sure we could. Don't have to give anyone a free college degree. I would think though we would give them to the best and brightest if anyone. You prefer we give them to the perky nosed?
I prefer we give them to people who are obeying our laws and have the legal right to work in this country. So should you.

Quote:
They have nothing to do with your immigration lines. That is their parents problem not theirs. They violated no law to get here.
Their problem is that they are adults who have no right to be here legally. Their desire to be here legally -- let alone to get a taxpayer provided free college degree -- is not MY problem. I am sorry you and they think otherwise.

Quote:
Sure we can deport them. That of course makes no sense but we could do it. Why would we want to deport an exceptional student? You can't understand that that is stupid?
The exceptional student can apply as a foreign national. No one's stopping him. You don't understand why is it unfair to grant him residency and a free college education because his idiot parents dragged him here?

Quote:
I would agree that stopping illegal immigration is a desirable goal. It is too bad you antis insist upon letting continue.
I'm not the one literally arguing in favor of giving free college educations to illegal aliens. YOU are. That is not the way to stop illegal immigration.

Quote:
We would not have these discussion about education if your side would get its head straight and help us stop the illegals coming here. But you won't. YOu are fixated on removing the ones already here. Which is not going to happen. So you will allow all the new arrivals.
It happened in Alabama. Why do think it won't happen again in the rest of America? We wouldn't have this discussion if your side wasn't in favor of granting special privileges to illegals. The massive nerve of even demanding that we give them a free college education is almost unreal. How is doing so going to STOP illegals from coming here in ever larger numbers?

You make no sense at all.
Quote:

You simply have lost track of reality. Residents pay taxes and get services. Citizens get to vote.

You really need to learn the difference.
I wasn't aware that people who can't even legally work paid taxes. I certainly wasn't aware the average illegal eighteen year old was a taxpayer.

You really need to come up with a better argument because this one makes no sense at all.

Quote:
We should have fixed all this in the 1980s. We did not. Now it haunts us. But the fact you don't like it will get us very little mileage.
The way to "fix" it is not with free college degrees to illegals.

Quote:
In the mean time we should take good care of the children who grow up here. And we should take particular care of the best and brightness.
Again they are perfectly free to apply to college as foreign nationals. They are not free to DEMAND that we hand them paid college degrees. We have a responsibility to our citizenry and our children. We have no corresponding responsibility to Mexico's underclass and their brats.

Quote:
Hey maybe we can make a deal with Mexico to send them the ones who don't get out of high school. Trade for the ones we want to keep. We could pay the Mexicans a substantial amount to take our non achievers and end up ahead.
The status quo is that Mexico sends us their high school drop outs. Telling said Mexicans that if they drag their brats here we'll give them a free college degree is insane.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:58 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,876,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

Our own poor people should not be punished to provide for the educational needs of foreign nationals. Illegals often hurt our own poor people most of all by directly competing with them for jobs and seats in school. The link I posted proves that. Many of the teacher's aides being laid off are from the poorest districts. That's not fair to them.

It really is simple. Eighteen year old illegals are not entitled to anything from Americans, let alone a free college degree. They are residents of a foreign nation. They should be grateful we educated them in the first place instead of making yet more demands from us.

If they want to come to our universities they are free to apply to them as foreign nationals. They are not welcome to literally demand that we hand a degree to them for free. All that does is invite yet more illegals and punish our own suffering poor and middle classes even further.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:22 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,079,401 times
Quote:
Bullsh*t. They are residents. They may also be unlawful and deportable. Then again virtually anyone not a US citizen is deportable.
I hate to break it to you, but being domiciled within a State does not make one a Resident of said State, especially in California. University requirements for establishing residency are independent from those of other types of residency, such as for tax purposes, or other state or institutional residency. A resident for tuition purposes is someone who meets the requirements set forth in the University of California Board of Regents Policy Relating to Residence.
Quote:
The term “resident” is confusing because it may have several definitions as it relates to, voter registration, driver’s licenses, contracts, income taxes, and even admission to the University. The regulations found in Standing Order 110.2 were promulgated not to determine whether a student is a resident or a nonresident of California, but rather, to determine whether a student should pay University fees on an in-state or out-of-state basis. A student at the University of California may be a resident of California for some purposes, but not a resident for tuition purposes, and a student who pays in-state fees at one of the California state colleges or community colleges may not be considered a resident for tuition purposes at the University of California upon transfer.
Here is the State residency requirement for tax purposes
Quote:
Meaning of Domicile
The term “domicile” has a special legal definition that is not the same as residence. . While many states consider domicile and residence to be the same, California makes a distinction and views them as two separate concepts, even though they may often overlap. . For instance, you may be domiciled in California but not be a California resident or you may be domiciled in another state but be a California resident for income tax purposes.
Domicile is defined for tax purposes as the place where you voluntarily establish yourself and family, not merely for a special or limited purpose, but with a present intention of making it your true, fixed, permanent home and principal establishment. . It is the place where, whenever you are absent, you intend to return.
Change of Domicile
You can have only one domicile at a time. . Once you acquire a domicile, you retain that domicile until you acquire another.
A change of domicile requires all of the following:
• Abandonment of your prior domicile.
• Physically moving to and residing in the new locality. .
• Intent to remain in the new locality permanently or indefinitely as demonstrated by your actions.
http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2010/10_1031.pdf Domicile Page 9

For Drivers License purpose
Quote:
Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.
To apply for an original driver license if you are over 18, you will need to do the following:
http://dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm How to apply for a driver license if you are over 18

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 10-09-2011 at 12:09 AM..

Old 10-09-2011, 03:42 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,232,523 times
Quote:
They are awarding the scholarships to the best residents of California. You prefer they go to the someone else?

Given that the vast majority of these kids are virtually certain to end up citizens it sounds rational to me on that basis as well.
Yes, I prefer American tax dollars to go towards Americans.

It's a pity is it not that the Mexican government doesn't care about it's own citizens instead leaving the standard of living poor in their own country so that the .001% of their population can live the good life.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:00 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,688,146 times
Quote:

What part of they are here ILLEGALLY is it so hard for you to understand?

That is the bottom line.... ILLEGALLY, in violation of our Federal Laws.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:47 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,338,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well, Jerry Brown cannot grant citizenship; only the Fed Gov can.
And Obama just doesn't have the support in Congress.

So they do nothing and support "stealth amnesty" instead.

If I recall, the only way illegals can get "instant" citizenship is to serve in the military.
That is incorrect. Illegal aliens cannot join our military.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:05 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,338,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You were the one talking bad about Shakira...

Isn't that nose perky enough for you?...
Maybe you should ask that question of the person who made the crack about blondes with perky noses. It wasn't me.

What are you talking about? I never talked bad about her. I just asked how she is qualified to be appointed by Obama for some position and why Hispanics need special attention for education. I only knew her as a singer and wasn't aware of any background she had in politics. Her looks had nothing to do with what I said.

Let's face it the poster was just portraying American college students as white anglo blonde women who aren't as deserving as illegal aliens based on their supposed less ambition, intelligence and so-called "white priviledge". People who make those kinds of insinuations are holding a grudge against the white non-hispanic race and in many cases are self-hating who hate the white non-hispanic part of themselves (white guilt), IMO.

Last edited by chicagonut; 10-09-2011 at 06:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration