Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:13 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,158,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Our unemployment rate is determined by the percentage of people who want to work that don't have jobs. Self-employment is included as work unless the person wants additional employment.
Self-employment is only counted if you have registered your business with the IRS, and the business has to meet certain guidelines to even qualify as a business. For example, in the US if two kids had a lemonade stand in their front yard, that would typically not be considered a taxable business. In Mexico, it very well could be, and MANY people make incomes from running small street stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I believe i grew up thinking the wrong things.

I was raised in a strict Italian household. Taught that right was right and wrong is wrong, and do not do wrong.
I believe in the issue of those illegals who break our laws, and enter into this Country, knowingly and illegally, is wrong.
Question, why is it that those who do break our laws, and do what is wrong, reap the benefits, of breaking our laws, and entering illegally into this Country.

You get rewarded for this. Am i wrong or what! where in the hell did this Country get their priorities so screwed up and why!
People we need to let our voices be heard. We are not wrong!
So there is no room for gray in your moral system?

Old 01-03-2012, 06:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,279,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Why is it okay for you to make stereotypical, nasty comments about entire groups of people based on one small (and yes it is small) characteristic, but you find it offensive that I would do that with you? What's wrong, don't appreciate irony? I do.

I don't have a black and white view on this topic and I don't see it as rewarding breaking the law as I still advocate that illegals pay fines and go onto a probationary period for a period of time, and they still have to stay employed, stay out of trouble, etc. In effect, I believe that immigration policy can be made to address multiple problems. It doesn't have to be an either-or situation. And I don't feel like I need to go out of my way to be nasty and inhumane to these people, especially when I understand the context of why most of them come. Many of you do not, do not know any illegals, have never lived in Mexico, etc. Sorry, but it is from pure ignorance that most of the opinions on this forum are formed.
The opinion that illegals should be held accountable for the multiple crimes they commit while here?
The opinion that we owe them nothing more than the due process to deport them?
Please enlighten the rest of us. What do we owe them exactly?
Some of us are actually married to legal immigrants. Waited in the lines, paid the fees and have followed the letter of the law each step of the way. So no we don't believe any illegal deserves a free pass.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,357,784 times
I guess stating facts about illegals is considered to be nasty comments?

Why should they be able to pay fines, etc. and jump in front of the line of those waiting in their homelands? They need to get in the back of the line and apply from their homelands. We need the jobs they are holding so why allow them to stay here and continue to work those jobs?

I'd like to know how they are being treated inhumanely. We know many of the reasons they come here but that is no justification for breaking our immigration laws and then being given the opportunity to remain here afterwards. Their reasons for coming here are irrelevant according to our laws.

As for ignorance. It is pretty ignorant to put illegal foreingers above the needs of the citizens of this country.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,669,423 times
Quote:
....snipped....I don't have a black and white view on this topic and I don't see it as rewarding breaking the law as I still advocate that illegals pay fines and go onto a probationary period for a period of time, and they still have to stay employed, stay out of trouble, etc. In effect, I believe that immigration policy can be made to address multiple problems. It doesn't have to be an either-or situation. And I don't feel like I need to go out of my way to be nasty and inhumane to these people, especially when I understand the context of why most of them come. Many of you do not, do not know any illegals, have never lived in Mexico, etc. Sorry, but it is from pure ignorance that most of the opinions on this forum are formed.
why should they be afforded any latitude for breaking the law.....? Other get in line before they force their way in, thereby, breaking the law. You sound as if we owe a lawbreaker something....that is what gripes people so is that kind of attitude...the lawbreakers are owed something...NOT.

And, yes, I do know illegals. Employed one for 2 years before he was deported for the 3rd time. He had a Puerto Rican wife and a young child and when I agreed to let him work, they needed money for food. I paid him a better than average wage, more than he originally asked for. I also knew when and if he achieved legal status, he would not work for me anymore and would go after a better job.
He was a decent worker but when he was leaving for deportation, he stole suitcases from me, a present from my husband. I paid for his plane fare back to Mexico so he wouldn't have to (horrors) ride the bus......I know he had no loyalty to me or respect for anything I had done for him and his family....
I have met and known many other illegals.....most are shysters and will take advantage of you. I have many stories of trying to be helpful to people down on their luck but I also have family members, down on their luck, and resources are being siphoned away from them by illegals. So don't lecture me.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:58 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,513,635 times
Quote:
Self-employment is only counted if you have registered your business with the IRS, and the business has to meet certain guidelines to even qualify as a business.
No, the unemployment rate only includes people who are in the labor force (people who are working or looking for work).

If you are self-employed and don't need or want other work, you wouldn't be counted.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 01-03-2012 at 08:38 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 PM

313 posts, read 330,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
why should they be afforded any latitude for breaking the law.....? Other get in line before they force their way in, thereby, breaking the law. You sound as if we owe a lawbreaker something....that is what gripes people so is that kind of attitude...the lawbreakers are owed something...NOT.

And, yes, I do know illegals. Employed one for 2 years before he was deported for the 3rd time. He had a Puerto Rican wife and a young child and when I agreed to let him work, they needed money for food. I paid him a better than average wage, more than he originally asked for. I also knew when and if he achieved legal status, he would not work for me anymore and would go after a better job.
He was a decent worker but when he was leaving for deportation, he stole suitcases from me, a present from my husband. I paid for his plane fare back to Mexico so he wouldn't have to (horrors) ride the bus......I know he had no loyalty to me or respect for anything I had done for him and his family....
I have met and known many other illegals.....most are shysters and will take advantage of you. I have many stories of trying to be helpful to people down on their luck but I also have family members, down on their luck, and resources are being siphoned away from them by illegals. So don't lecture me.
What a long story. It's akin to someone who says they have bad stories that prove pittbulls are bad because of details gathered only from horrid news reports and hanging around bad owners only.

In reality there are two sides of the situation.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:34 PM

313 posts, read 330,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post

Why should they be able to pay fines, etc. and jump in front of the line of those waiting in their homelands? They need to get in the back of the line and apply from their homelands. We need the jobs they are holding so why allow them to stay here and continue to work those jobs?

I'd like to know how they are being treated inhumanely. We know many of the reasons they come here but that is no justification for breaking our immigration laws and then being given the opportunity to remain here afterwards. Their reasons for coming here are irrelevant according to our laws.

As for ignorance. It is pretty ignorant to put illegal foreingers above the needs of the citizens of this country.
Do you get this mad over people and speeding tickets? Speeding is a leading cause of death in this country.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The opinion that illegals should be held accountable for the multiple crimes they commit while here?

Generally, we are talking about non-violent crimes, and most of them are related to finding unemployment and housing. I would treat them as non-violent crimes, and that's where the fines and probationary period come into play.

The opinion that we owe them nothing more than the due process to deport them?

This is not about owing them something. This is the biggest fallacy of many of the arguments here... well, okay, one of many.

Please enlighten the rest of us. What do we owe them exactly?
Some of us are actually married to legal immigrants. Waited in the lines, paid the fees and have followed the letter of the law each step of the way. So no we don't believe any illegal deserves a free pass.
Do you believe that every single person, every single family from every single country has exactly the same opportunities, education, wealth etc. in order to make a legal immigration? If so, then you actually don't know much about immigration at all, or the many varied circumstances that come into play for different people.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post

I don't expect some of you to actually acknowledge your behavior. I'm merely stating what it is.

And no one is putting illegals above citizens. That is your hyperbole.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 01-03-2012 at 09:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration