Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,327,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
A "forum deportation"?...
I really don't know. If you want the details why don't you ask the mods rather than discussing his departure in the open forum?

Old 01-07-2012, 06:58 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,077,497 times
Quote:
A "forum deportation"?...
To link it to illegal membership... there are some on here who have been deported numerous times yet keep coming back, is it economically beneficial to them or is it to justify there own ego's?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:58 PM

121 posts, read 216,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Are you saying those Latin countries do not speak English? That's is ridiculous. Go to any resort town or popular town south of the border, you will find English just about anywhere you go with the exception of remote areas.
Of course tourist destinations would speak English to accommodate their patrons. People who work and live in day-to-day Columbia are NOT going to be speaking English.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:47 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,015,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You're looking at it BACKWARD. To stay in the country, prove you are a citizen. Not only did she not prove citizenship, she made an affirmative claim of being a citizen of another country here illegally.
Exactly!

The media is framing this all wrong. Instead of the headlines reading "15 year old deported to Colombia" it should have said "15 year old US citizen Illegally Immigrates to Colombia" because that's just what she did.

She did just what many illegal immigrants do when they come to this country--they lie to get here. Instead in this instance, you have a 15 year old adolescent illegally entering the country of Colombia. Not the reverse.

Expecting the US government to prevent her from illegally immigrating to Colombia is the equivelent to expecting Mexico to prevent illegal immigrants from crossing the border to get into this country.

Why anyone at ICE, Homeland Security or the State Department would be held accountable is just simply ridiculous.

Does anyone think "heads would role" with Mexican officals when their citizens illegally immigrate here? Of course not.

No one should be held accountable here other than a 15 year adolescent. Why is everyone walking on egg shells from blaming her anyway? Here you have someone who deliberately lied to officials to get out of this country and into another and now governments are pointing fingers at one another instead of squarely pointing at the 15 year old.

If anything they should charge her for the round trip airfare, plus processing fees for both countries, in addition to a public apology to both governments.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:58 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,850,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Exactly!

The media is framing this all wrong. Instead of the headlines reading "15 year old deported to Colombia" it should have said "15 year old US citizen Illegally Immigrates to Colombia" because that's just what she did.

She did just what many illegal immigrants do when they come to this country--they lie to get here. Instead in this instance, you have a 15 year old adolescent illegally entering the country of Colombia. Not the reverse.

Expecting the US government to prevent her from illegally immigrating to Colombia is the equivelent to expecting Mexico to prevent illegal immigrants from crossing the border to get into this country.

Why anyone at ICE, Homeland Security or the State Department would be held accountable is just simply ridiculous.

Does anyone think "heads would role" with Mexican officals when their citizens illegally immigrate here? Of course not.

No one should be held accountable here other than a 15 year adolescent. Why is everyone walking on egg shells from blaming her anyway? Here you have someone who deliberately lied to officials to get out of this country and into another and now governments are pointing fingers at one another instead of squarely pointing at the 15 year old.

If anything they should charge her for the round trip airfare, plus processing fees for both countries, in addition to a public apology to both governments.
Yeah, except a minor is not usually viewed as being culpable for their actions...

Old 01-07-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, except a minor is not usually viewed as being culpable for their actions...
They can be in some instances. If someone had been murdered, she'd be charged as an adult and/or her parents would held responsible. Either way, rumor has it...that the family is filing a law suit against the US government. Unbelievable.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:03 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,836,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Exactly!

It is not the same as an illegal immigrant coming to America, crossing a border and sneaking in. It would be the same if a Mexican government official told the USA that one of their citizens was actually a citizen of the USA and then deported said Mexican citizen to America. I cannot believe or understand how you would think it is the same thing when there were government officials involved. The girl was in jail in the US for a while before being deported. Fingerprints should have been taken, like the PP said, she didn't speak Spanish. Also I cannot believe that they would think that the girl was not a child. I can tell a teenager when I see one because of how silly they act and the dumb stuff they say. Most people in my experience can tell the same things. Fifteen is a mile away from 21 in regards to maturity even though 21 year olds are rather silly IMO as well, not as silly as a 15 year old though.

This girl was reported missing. A report was filed, she was listed with Missing and Exploited children. A 15 year old is legally a child and cannot be held responsible for many of their actions. All children lie.

Also, they are the ones who sent her out of the country. Why should her family, who reported her missing have to pay to have her sent back. They didn't send her! The people who sent her (ICE) should pay for her to come back.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:04 PM

152 posts, read 377,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
You are under the assumption none of those questions were asked by the Houston Police, Houston Judge, ICE, Immigration Judge, or the Colombian Consulate. So there were at least 4 or 5 interrogators over a 6 week period, are they all incompetent even the Judges (I know how you hold judges decisions with such high esteem)? Define reasonable? This can go on, but what's the point? You're stuck on the fact that she is underage, I can't help you get over being blind to facts, you have to do that by yourself.
Absolutely I think none of those question were asked. This is not a skilled sociopath. It is a teen age girl.

The one that amazes me is the consulate. They did not carry that out in Spanish?

Do I believe they could be this incompetent? Government is really good at not doing their job and this sounds like one of those.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is not the same as an illegal immigrant coming to America, crossing a border and sneaking in. It would be the same if a Mexican government official told the USA that one of their citizens was actually a citizen of the USA and then deported said Mexican citizen to America. I cannot believe or understand how you would think it is the same thing when there were government officials involved. The girl was in jail in the US for a while before being deported. Fingerprints should have been taken, like the PP said, she didn't speak Spanish. Also I cannot believe that they would think that the girl was not a child. I can tell a teenager when I see one because of how silly they act and the dumb stuff they say. Most people in my experience can tell the same things. Fifteen is a mile away from 21 in regards to maturity even though 21 year olds are rather silly IMO as well, not as silly as a 15 year old though.

This girl was reported missing. A report was filed, she was listed with Missing and Exploited children. A 15 year old is legally a child and cannot be held responsible for many of their actions. All children lie.

Also, they are the ones who sent her out of the country. Why should her family, who reported her missing have to pay to have her sent back. They didn't send her! The people who sent her (ICE) should pay for her to come back.
Nonsense. Illegal entry is illegal entry. If a Mexican citizen was picked up by Mexican immigration officials and informed them that she was an American even though she was Mexican, and they deported her to America--would that not be illegal?

She fabricated an identity of her age, DOB and country of origin to enter the country of Colombia.

She went through a legal process and informed US officials that she was from Colombia.

Colombian officials provided her with official Colombian documentation to make her a Colombian citizen based on all of the above.

At what point did she NOT illegally immigrate to the country of Colombia? Her actions demonstrated that her intention the entire time was to illegally enter Colombia and she did just that, and successfully if I may say so.

The headlines should frame the issue as a 15 year who illegally immigrated to Colombia. Not that she was falsely deported through negligence of the US. I could only understand if she had tried several times in some way shape or form, to inform someone that she was actually a US citizen and they still insisted on deporting her anyway. That I could completely understand. But if she deliberately and consistently lied so that she could get to Colombia--well then she lied with the intent of illegally crossing the border.

As far as appearence goes--that's far too subjective. There are some 15 year olds that are easily disinguishable from 21 year olds and vice versa, and many that are not. That's really not something that can be generalized.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Not true. They can be held accountable for their offenses. I once stole my parents car when I was 16. I was caught, taken to a police station, where my parents were called and I was fined about $250 and sent home. I had to pay the fine in installments with my 12 hour a week job making what was the minimum at that time of $5.25 per hour. I was the only one held accountable. If she can't pay it now--that's ok...we'll hold the bill for you until you turn 18.

She and/or her parents should have to pay because it was the daughter who cost the government money to send her to Colombia and back in the first place. The parents may have taken the right steps, but their daughters actions still came at a price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.