Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,119,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
...here is what I did. I told the owner that if I saw anyone of his workers who didnt speak english or appeared to be an alien I would require FULL LEGAL DOCUMENTATION of the workers ON MY PROPERTY OR HE WOULDNT BE PAID.
Personally, I would be impressed if you made the same demand of every contractor regardless of your personal perceptions of who is or isn't a suspected illegal immigrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 06:38 PM

387 posts, read 338,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Can you cite such laws?
Federal stuff at...

Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination: Questions And Answers

You can find similar state stuff by googling equal opportunity.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:54 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,312,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
What happened? How did you determine that the people who showed up were not illegals? Were the workers white or black? How did you determine that a white guy, or black guy, weren't illegals?

You were right to be concerned. After all, from your post, you were paying cash (i.e., no insurance) for this work. That is admirable. When my roof was damaged, the insurance company paid for it.
In defense of that person, I think it is safe to say that most people know that many construction companies and landscaping companies are using workers who are illegally here. A person has the right to wonder if they are contracting a company that employs illegal immigrants.

It has NOTHING to do with race. If the word-on-the-street was that the majority of Irish-acented people were coming here illegally and working in a specific industry, then people would assume things there.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,938,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
In defense of that person, I think it is safe to say that most people know that many construction companies and landscaping companies are using workers who are illegally here. A person has the right to wonder if they are contracting a company that employs illegal immigrants.

It has NOTHING to do with race. If the word-on-the-street was that the majority of Irish-acented people were coming here illegally and working in a specific industry, then people would assume things there.
You're right. I'm "Irish" but really an American, I was born here as well as my parents, etc. That DOESN'T mean I want illegal alien Irish here and I WILL rat them out to ICE.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 PM

373 posts, read 712,381 times
You can have in the contract that FULL IDENTIFICATION of all of the workers coming to your property will be furnished or void the contract can you not? This is what I could have added if I wanted to but just saying what I did scared him into not letting his mexicans show up..thats all I wanted.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:38 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,952,310 times
How about adding a line to the contract that requires the contractor to demolish any work done by illegals and redo using legal workers at contractor expense? Never mind, you should be applauded for taking action.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:26 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,211,512 times
About two years ago I had a new roof installed on our house. We had a new roofer that opened a shop close to our house. I received a bid of right around $10,000 - which was in line with other roofers in our area.

Our economy was down and I wanted my money to help our local economy. I asked the contractor if he used local help and he replied that he did. He asked me to give him half the money down to pay for the materials - which I did. I did not think to stipulate in the contract that he would not use illegal workers!

The materials were delivered and the work crew showed up on time. I was in an out that day and did not pay that much attention until they were finishing. I think, but cannot prove, that most of the group was illegal. Only one of the eight workers spoke English - I know that language does not prove citizenship or legal status. I am also aware of all the trouble I could be in for stereotyping.

Besides the possibility that my money could have enabled illegal immigration; I also question the other negatives of allowing this mess to continue. My wife told me that they took no breaks or lunch, that they were very hard workers. The shingle lift that they used had a broken foot and was bent. I was a union member for thirty years. We fought for better working conditions and championed safe work practices. Even though I have no complaints with their work (other than stated); I still feel deceived. I would never hire them again.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,312,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
About two years ago I had a new roof installed on our house. We had a new roofer that opened a shop close to our house. I received a bid of right around $10,000 - which was in line with other roofers in our area.

Our economy was down and I wanted my money to help our local economy. I asked the contractor if he used local help and he replied that he did. He asked me to give him half the money down to pay for the materials - which I did. I did not think to stipulate in the contract that he would not use illegal workers!

The materials were delivered and the work crew showed up on time. I was in an out that day and did not pay that much attention until they were finishing. I think, but cannot prove, that most of the group was illegal. Only one of the eight workers spoke English - I know that language does not prove citizenship or legal status. I am also aware of all the trouble I could be in for stereotyping.

Besides the possibility that my money could have enabled illegal immigration; I also question the other negatives of allowing this mess to continue. My wife told me that they took no breaks or lunch, that they were very hard workers. The shingle lift that they used had a broken foot and was bent. I was a union member for thirty years. We fought for better working conditions and championed safe work practices. Even though I have no complaints with their work (other than stated); I still feel deceived. I would never hire them again.
That's the thing, if we are against supporting illegal immigration then shouldn't we have a way of knowing which businesses are employing illegal immigrants? Your story is that of a lot of people. It's just like wanting to boycott any business for any reason. Some people boycott places because of different reasons. A person wants to not give their hard earned money to a company that employs illegal immigrants. The reasons could be that they would rather see a fellow U.S. citizen or legal immigrant working the job.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:39 AM

475 posts, read 509,462 times
My dad use to have an American guy who used to do a lot of work around my house but he got rid of him because this guy was lazy and always had an excuse for not showing up. One thing the illegals do is work very very hard and sometimes they dont even take breaks and they are always willing to come when you need them. Now we have these two illegals guys who barely speak English working for us when we need something. As soon as we call them they are like "oh yeah, what do you need sir, we can be there in 20 minutes, dont worry". I dont care if they are legals or illegals as long as they do a good job, and in this case the illegals win.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:45 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,188,271 times
Hire union contractors if you want to be sure that you're not paying illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration