Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:36 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Yes, but the reality is that there are illegals who come here as children, grow up here, and make this the only home they've ever really known and cared for. I don't see why they should be automatically deported. It could be argued that they didn't even knowingly violate immigration laws, given their age and lack of maturity (in many cases).

I'm not saying that each and every one of these children ought to be allowed to stay, either. But the law isn't always fair or even wise, and I think there may be cases where we might want to make exceptions and allow some who are technically 'illegal' to stay.

The guy who was interviewed in the article, for instance...a college graduate and probably someone who could easily be productive and contribute in some way to society here. It makes no sense to send him back to a country he doesn't even know versus keeping him here in a place he knows as well as anyone one of us.

I think anyone who would seriously advocate this 'law is the law is the law' approach in any and all circumstances -- to the point of arguing against any sort of meaningful immigration reform -- isn't really just anti-illegal immigration but anti-immigration and just doesn't have the balls or integrity to admit it.
Young illegal's problems are neither my problems to care about nor mine to solve. They have a country. They should do the right thing and go back to it. Let's have immigration reform. No more publically funded education for illegals. If you are here illegally let your parents pay for your education not the American taxpayer. No more birthright citizenship either. If your parents are illegals you are an illegal. No more have a baby and demand the American public pay for it. No more amnesty for illegals ever again. That's the only way to make it clear there will be no rewards for breaking our immigration laws.

I'm really sick of this. We're one of the most generous nations on the planet. We've let in literally millions of people legally in the last decades including many people from Mexico where more than half of all illegals are from. Are we thanked? Do illegals say hey Americans thank you for educating me and not immediately deporting my criminal parents. Of course not!

Instead we're lectured at at every turn for not being generous enough. What nonsense! The purpose of our immigration laws isn't to make life easier for foreigners. Especially foreigners who break them time and time again. The purpose of our immigration laws is to make life easier for Americans. Granting blanket amnesty in the name of ethnic pandering is really what's being asked. Not a single one of these hispanic leaders would give a damn about illegals if most were Chinese instead of Hispanic.

All granting amnesty will do is encourage more illegal immigration, especially from people who could never meet the educational and lingustic requirements to come here legally. A massive influx of low skilled migrants are the last thing we need particularly in the middle of a recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 04:39 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times
Quote:
Yes, our prisons are full of humans guilty of all sorts of 'crimes'. We have the highest incarceration rate and largest prison population on earth. Not exactly the hallmark of a civilized, enlightened, Utopian society.
You sure hold Americans in contempt for someone who wants to make a lot more of them. Which criminals do you want to let out? Muggers? Rapists? Corporate theives? Crack addicts?

Old 01-31-2012, 04:50 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,324,534 times
I'd like to know how giving amnesty/legalization to any illegals is "reform". We already take in the number of legal immigrants annually that we can accomodate in jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens. We should change that sane policy to accomodate those who came here illegally even if they were dragged here by their parents? I don't think so! We don't need these people. We have a shortage of jobs and other resources and our population is booming. Humans adapt to moves. This is nothing new.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:54 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yes, "we people" do. That isn't what this thread is about. There should be no free ride for the dirtbag people that hire them either. The Dream Act is just another carrot that will bring a flood of more illegals if it were to pass. Luckily, we haven't been insane enough to do it.

The guy claims, Not the America I want. I don't want him have it either. His America is further South and it's called Mexico.
Wish I could rep you again. I couldn't agree more. I really am sick of the hypocrites claiming we are responsible for separating their familia when it's convenient for them. It never seems to bother them to leave entire families behind, come here and build an entire new identity and lives equipped with new wives and anchor babies to ensure their future generations of welfare recipients survive.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
You're right, they should have run back across the desert to Mexico by themselves at the age of 13.
Some one may of asked but I will again.
Which crimes do we forgive in interest of the the illegals children?
If a man plunders the retirement acct of his employees do we allow the children of this man to keep his stolen money? They didn't break the law right? Why punish them?
No they didn't have a choice in the matter. But then niether did we the people, the citizens of this country.
So the question is why should we the people be expected to accept ownership?
We allow more legal immigration than all other countries combined.
We owe nothing to these individuals.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:34 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
Quote:
Re: your snarling rant above, I don't think it's really necessary for me to take care of anyone. They seem quite willing to take care of themselves. All I'm saying is that it might not be a bad thing for us to allow someone who came here - albeit illegally - at the age of 10 or 11 and otherwise grown up here as a Latino-American to continue becoming more and more American. I think there's a difference between a child who comes here not entirely by their own choice and a 19-year-adult who does the same on his own volition.
+1

I just wanted to give you some props, you're making alot of great points here that I agree with.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
+1

I just wanted to give you some props, you're making alot of great points here that I agree with.
There are a couple points you are forgetting. 1. They don't take care of themselves. They are being supported by our taxes. 2. We don't need these Dreamies/illegals staying here to compete for our jobs and resources. Let em go back and compete in their own countries.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:29 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Calm down, mate. You're likely to have an aneurysm before we even get to the 4th page on this thread.

Re: your snarling rant above, I don't think it's really necessary for me to take care of anyone. They seem quite willing to take care of themselves. All I'm saying is that it might not be a bad thing for us to allow someone who came here - albeit illegally - at the age of 10 or 11 and otherwise grown up here as a Latino-American to continue becoming more and more American. I think there's a difference between a child who comes here not entirely by their own choice and a 19-year-adult who does the same on his own volition.

Blood, or compassion? You just seem angry. I'm sorry for that, whatever its source may be.
Those illegal alien kids can still go home and apply to come back legal. The blame lies with their PARENTS, not Americans.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Those illegal alien kids can still go home and apply to come back legal. The blame lies with their PARENTS, not Americans.
I'd like to know where these advocates for illegal alien's compassion is for Americans that are bearing the brunt of this illegal invasion.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Young illegal's problems are neither my problems to care about nor mine to solve. They have a country. They should do the right thing and go back to it. Let's have immigration reform. No more publically funded education for illegals. If you are here illegally let your parents pay for your education not the American taxpayer. No more birthright citizenship either. If your parents are illegals you are an illegal. No more have a baby and demand the American public pay for it. No more amnesty for illegals ever again. That's the only way to make it clear there will be no rewards for breaking our immigration laws.

I'm really sick of this. We're one of the most generous nations on the planet. We've let in literally millions of people legally in the last decades including many people from Mexico where more than half of all illegals are from. Are we thanked? Do illegals say hey Americans thank you for educating me and not immediately deporting my criminal parents. Of course not!

Instead we're lectured at at every turn for not being generous enough. What nonsense! The purpose of our immigration laws isn't to make life easier for foreigners. Especially foreigners who break them time and time again. The purpose of our immigration laws is to make life easier for Americans. Granting blanket amnesty in the name of ethnic pandering is really what's being asked. Not a single one of these hispanic leaders would give a damn about illegals if most were Chinese instead of Hispanic.

All granting amnesty will do is encourage more illegal immigration, especially from people who could never meet the educational and lingustic requirements to come here legally. A massive influx of low skilled migrants are the last thing we need particularly in the middle of a recession.
I don't think anyone here is arguing that the U.S. isn't generous enough with its immigration policies. The first post I made on this thread made it clear (I thought) that I was against immigration and that I agree that more needs to be done to discourage illegal immigrants from coming in the first place. And the good news is, I think we're actually doing that. E-verify, for example, is a great idea if it's used. If all 50 states and the federal government impose stiff penalties for not using an e-verify type system or something similar to it, that would probably cut down on a lot of the problems, which are really one of looking the other way while knowingly tolerating firms that hire illegal migrants.

There is nothing racist or wrong with being against illegal immigration in general. Arguing against stronger borders is a rational position to take. But the fact is that there are special circumstances. Not everyone's circumstances are the same and not everyone deserves to be treated the same, and that principle is actually something the state department has long recognized when deciding on if and where to deport illegal immigrants from, say, Cuba or other despotic regimes -- illegals can stay on humanitarian grounds because sending them back would mean risking death. And we long ago agreed as a nation - at least at the official level, and at least people interested in the values that this country supposedly espouses - that it can make exceptions for 'illegals' on humanitarian grounds.

I see the same thing when I look at say someone who came to the U.S. as an infant or even an adolescent. To say that they 'chose' to break the law is ignorant of the facts at best and disingenuous at worst. They chose to remain a part of their family in coming here, and they have made a choice to remain a part of their community and to pursue a livelihood in a place in which they have learned to adapt and survive. To throw them back is like taking a tamed zoo animal and tossing it back into the Serengeti and expecting it to flourish, never mind the fact it never learned how to survive in that sort of rugged environment. It's cruel, and it's un-American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration