Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 07:34 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,215,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It's been said English the language of money and power. I've looked at websites of most rich other countries that DON'T use English as a big language and their "default" language is usually English. Go to most countries in Europe, Africa or Asia and it ISN'T Spanish used as a default language.
Most European countries actually consider three languages (in addition to their traditional languages) to be important enough that nearly all European students are required to learn them - English, French, and German. And I've never heard a European complain about having to learn them. Hell, even the Russians have better language skills than the average American.

By the way, Spain, the country where Spanish originated, is a European country. You didn't know this? Huh.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:06 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,324,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Most European countries actually consider three languages (in addition to their traditional languages) to be important enough that nearly all European students are required to learn them - English, French, and German. And I've never heard a European complain about having to learn them. Hell, even the Russians have better language skills than the average American.

By the way, Spain, the country where Spanish originated, is a European country. You didn't know this? Huh.
You are comparing apples to oranges here. It is only the language of the ethnic group here in the largest numbers that we are being pressed to learn which is Spanish. Americans have done just fine being mono-lingual. We have no need to learn Spanish or any other language to conduct our daily lives and in most instances to hold down a job. Learning another language in our own country should be elective not forced via an illegal invasion. Uh, I think most Americans know that Spain is a European country but what has that to do with anything?

By the way, most Mexicans that come here illegally are mono-lingual and they refuse to learn English so I see a hypocricy in the making here.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:06 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:

English is still the default language in most of Europe. Most Americans have NO "need" to learn another. I have no interest cause I don't leave the US.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Illegal Immigrants. Ask the Native Americans. You are all hypocrites and are the descendants of illegal immigrants. Of course back then they where called Pioneers and Explorers but it's the same difference.
to get back toi the origianl question illegal had a different mena then. Just ask the engilsh of Saxon decent. At one time possession of land not under government control was fought over as to right to possess.By the way even the so called natives faught over land possession ;really.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times
Quote:

If you want to lobby to urge Americans to improve the teaching of foreign languages in our schools go ahead. If you want to lobby Americans to take up Spanish to meet the needs of arrogant monolingual latinos too lazy to learn English after they break into this country go to hell.

All your condemnation of Americans as lazy and ignorant and yet not a word of contempt for Mexicans and Guatemalans (who make up 80% of all illegals) and only speak one language. Or for their home countries that urge them to break our laws and then do nothing to prepare them linguistically for life in America.

Your hypocrisy is showing.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
If you want to lobby to urge Americans to improve the teaching of foreign languages in our schools go ahead. If you want to lobby Americans to take up Spanish to meet the needs of arrogant monolingual latinos too lazy to learn English after they break into this country go to hell.

All your condemnation of Americans as lazy and ignorant and yet not a word of contempt for Mexicans and Guatemalans (who make up 80% of all illegals) and only speak one language. Or for their home countries that urge them to break our laws and then do nothing to prepare them linguistically for life in America.

Your hypocrisy is showing.
Wow, what wonderful human compassion you have for your fellow man. It almost brought a single tear to my eye. Did you learn that in a Christian church, or did you get it from listening to Rush Limbaugh rants?

But hey, at least you admit that your problem is not actually with illegal aliens, but with people who you don't know how to communicate with, people who, through no fault of their own, are different from you.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,077,037 times
Quote:

In US Middle and High Schools, students have the choice between French, German, and Spanish, or all of the above. Does this makes us better since we have the opportunity to learn 4 languages here? Europeans don't all speak more than their native tongue, only those in the service industry over there do. In school, all children are taught their native tongue to include English, any other language is nothing but an elective, same as it is here. Lets use Belgium as an example, 3 different languages within the country, 3 different regions within the country, yet none of them will speak the others language. Portuguese hate Spanish and vice versa, even though their languages are similar. As for Russia(ns) coming here, they speak their native tongue (1 of 27 different versions of Russian) and when they come here they attempt to speak English. How is this any better than an American going some where and attempting to speak that other language?

Your arguments aren't arguments, they are rhetoric.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:03 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,077,037 times
Quote:
Wow, what wonderful human compassion you have for your fellow man. It almost brought a single tear to my eye. Did you learn that in a Christian church, or did you get it from listening to Rush Limbaugh rants?

But hey, at least you admit that your problem is not actually with illegal aliens, but with people who you don't know how to communicate with, people who, through no fault of their own, are different from you.
Talk about strawmen and rhetoric all in one. Put simply, illegal aliens have no right to go where they choose and to do as they choose, whether they are poor or not, rich or not, each country is its own society, and to join that society one must ask permission, without permission they are taking what is not theirs for their own benefit, thus there are consequences - deportation and banishment, even Christians recognize this as do most all religions.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Talk about strawmen and rhetoric all in one. Put simply, illegal aliens have no right to go where they choose and to do as they choose, whether they are poor or not, rich or not, each country is its own society, and to join that society one must ask permission, without permission they are taking what is not theirs for their own benefit, thus there are consequences - deportation and banishment, even Christians recognize this as do most all religions.
Erm, I think that was part of my point. Oh, except for the Catholic Church, which has a long history of helping immigrants, whether or not they are here legally.

Are illegal immigrants here illegally? Yes. Duh. That's why they are called illegal immigrants. But whether or not they are here legally, they are still human beings deserving of human dignity and respect. Walk a mile on someone else's shoes, dude.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
In US Middle and High Schools, students have the choice between French, German, and Spanish, or all of the above. Does this makes us better since we have the opportunity to learn 4 languages here? Europeans don't all speak more than their native tongue, only those in the service industry over there do. In school, all children are taught their native tongue to include English, any other language is nothing but an elective, same as it is here. Lets use Belgium as an example, 3 different languages within the country, 3 different regions within the country, yet none of them will speak the others language. Portuguese hate Spanish and vice versa, even though their languages are similar. As for Russia(ns) coming here, they speak their native tongue (1 of 27 different versions of Russian) and when they come here they attempt to speak English. How is this any better than an American going some where and attempting to speak that other language?

Your arguments aren't arguments, they are rhetoric.
I know quite a few Europeans, and I've never met one that wasn't fluent in more than one language. In India, millions speak multiple languages (they'd better, since there are over 100 languages spoken there, and they have 13 national languages). And I'd wager that the U.S. is likely one of the few industrial nations that has such an massive aversion for learning other languages.

The fact is that people who are multilingual are highly intelligent and better multi-taskers than those who are fluent in only one language. The fact is that we live in a multitcultural and multilingual country, and its time the monolinguists get used to it. Comprende?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration