Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:26 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,310,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Because 80% of all illegals are hispanic. Hispanics and hispanic elected leaders cannot have it both ways. They can't overwhelmingly support illegals based on race and then call others racist for associating illegals with hispanics.
So is this the reason for so much hatred towards Hispanics?

Old 02-27-2012, 12:41 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,950,361 times
Obama made a lot of promises to hispanics in 08. How many has he kept? Many hispanics realize that once again they have been thrown under the bus.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:00 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,795,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The person you are replying is full of it. Only 10 million Hispanics voted in the last election and there will not be 25 milion eligible Hispanic voters for this year's election. Many of them are either illegal aliens or too young to vote.
You know that, and I know that. Someone's wishful thinking isn't going to change the facts. Right up there with Spanish becoming the official language and people better learn Spanish because in the future they will need to speak it if they want to get a job.

Last edited by softblueyz; 02-27-2012 at 02:15 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
To be fair some Americans, the non ignorant ones, do want to learn 2 or 3 language.
To be fair, many illegals, the ignorant ones, don't want to learn English.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,310,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
To be fair, many illegals, the ignorant ones, don't want to learn English.
Any person who is hostile to learning anything, including a language is ignorant.

Any person who takes pride in not knowing something, like a language is ignorant.

I don't know Mandarin, but I don't brag about not knowing it. Quite the opposite, I wish I knew more languages. Celebrating any type of ignorance is ignorant.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
To most hispanic Americans jobs, education and healthcare come first and the "illegal' issue isn't a top priority in regards to the other issues that I mentioned.
Illegals should concern you as an American. Unfortunately American hispanics (from different ethnicities) are feeling the backlash as a result of illegals in the country. I think it's damn unfair to American hispanics, but that is just how the wind has been blowing. If American hispanics are feeling the heat, they only ones they have to blame for it are the illegals. Those jobs, education and healthcare of ALL Americans are affected by illegals. You yourself are impacted not just with the backlash, but the financial burden.

I don't ever recall a time when Hispanics were such an "issue", at least not to this level. American hispanics have every opportunity as do all Americans. It's a matter utilizing those opportunities.

As an American are you comfortable with illegals putting their hand in your pocket? Are you comfortable that Americans can't get work because they are being replaced by illegals (and I'm not talking crop workers). If you lost your job and replaced by and illegal would that be OK with you? If you couldn't get a job because you are legal and entitled to fair salary and benefits, but an illegal can get that job because he will settle for what he get because government is already giving him the benefits, additional income and food stamps?

Old 02-27-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Any person who is hostile to learning anything, including a language is ignorant.

Any person who takes pride in not knowing something, like a language is ignorant.

I don't know Mandarin, but I don't brag about not knowing it. Quite the opposite, I wish I knew more languages. Celebrating any type of ignorance is ignorant.
I guess Mexicans are overflowing with pride. I find it amusing when one shows their ignorance when trying to make a point.

Some Americans learn a second language out of need, but the majority learn a language out of interest. Why do you feel that Americans need to learn multiple languages just because you do?

I have an interest in the civil rights movements, people and history, so I read about those subjects. Very interesting subjects, but should I think that Americans who don't share that same interest are ignorant because they don't share my interest? (I also read a lot of novels. I love a good mystery!!!!)

How does "lack of interest" translate into "hostile"?? That's a bit of a stretch I would say. I have no interest in learning to bake, does that make me hostile?? It must be hard being you in your little world, surrounded by a bigger world filled with so much hostility and ignorance.

The majority of Americans don't have passports because there is so much to see and do within the United States that they don't feel the need to go outside. Maybe that would have something to do with the fact that the US is a big draw for tourism???

Old 02-27-2012, 03:11 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,587,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
You know that, and I know that. Someone's wishful thinking isn't going to change the facts. Right up there with Spanish becoming the official language and people better learn Spanish because in the future they will need to speak it if they want to get a job.
Your post sounds very xenophobic considering even ENGLISH isn't the official language of the US! I asked in a previous post why this was being posted in a "illegal" immigration forum when it's clearly about the next President by chosen by legal Hispanic voters who can vote and got a lot of negative attacks.
This is no longer about "illegals" but the xenophobic stance of many people here who think their "Anglo-Saxon" English speaking way of life & culture is being over run & disappearing which is quite a fallacy.
Perhaps if you looked to the south of the US you will notice that every single nation save Brazil speaks Spanish. When you have roughly a half billion people living directly to the south of you whose main language is Spanish it's bound to have an impact whether you like it or not.
By the way the people who don't learn English are usually poorly educated even in their native tongue to begin with but their children do assimilate & learn English. It's attitudes like these that have turned off many Hispanics especially to the GOP & their own xenophobic ways.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
So is this the reason for so much hatred towards Hispanics?
You can thank the illegals for any backlash that American hispanics are getting.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Your post sounds very xenophobic considering even ENGLISH isn't the official language of the US! I asked in a previous post why this was being posted in a "illegal" immigration forum when it's clearly about the next President by chosen by legal Hispanic voters who can vote and got a lot of negative attacks.
This is no longer about "illegals" but the xenophobic stance of many people here who think their "Anglo-Saxon" English speaking way of life & culture is being over run & disappearing which is quite a fallacy.
Perhaps if you looked to the south of the US you will notice that every single nation save Brazil speaks Spanish. When you have roughly a half billion people living directly to the south of you whose main language is Spanish it's bound to have an impact whether you like it or not.
especially to the GOP & their own xenophobic ways.

Where did I say English IS the official language?? The fact is we don't have an official language but some think that Spanish will be it.

"The Spanish are Coming!!! The Spanish are Coming!!!"

Telling Americans that somewhere down the road, in order for non-Spanish speaking people to get a job they will have to speak Spanish isn't delusional?? Americans, regardless of their ethnicity, have no fear or delusion that there is a Spanish takeover in progress. That's something hispanics created in their own head.

I can't believe that you can't see what the main issue is. ILLEGALS!!!!

I guess the hispanics who are "turned off" are illegals and a good majority are those born in the US to illegal parents. I guess those born to illegals don't want future immigrants to "suffer" at the hands of America for their illegal entry and want the gates taken down and borders no longer defined, and in turn give every Mexican a passport and in turn Americans will get a Mexican passport. A win-win for everyone!!!!

There are many hispanic immigrants who migrated to the US LEGALLY and who were born American citizens (and are generational), who are in line with many people who oppose illegals being in the country. You think that those who entered, and went through the legal process, rather than enter illegally, want to see illegals get a pass?

How many countries land border with America??? Two where you can walk across the border.

Canada, where the first language is English, and then you have French Canadian, where they speak French and English.

Then we have Mexico where they only speak Spanish. So Americans should learn Spanish because Mexico is our neighbor, but Mexicans don't have to learn to speak English?? Seeing as how Americans aren't exactly looking to relocate or enter Mexico illegally, I don't see a reason for Americans to learn Spanish. Yet, on the other side of the coin, you have Mexicans who use any means to get into the US, I would say about a very, very high percentage illlegally, and they don't need to learn English because the babies will do that for them.

And it is because of this (see below your comment) Americans resent illegals. The parents are uneducated, don't contribute to society, are a burden on society, and it's not until their children get an education, get a job, then they will be taken care of by their children. In reality, many of the children drop out of high school, and not so many go on to college.

Quote:
By the way the people who don't learn English are usually poorly educated even in their native tongue to begin but their children do assimilate & learn English. It's attitudes like these that have turned off many Hispanics
Your failure to respond to anything in my post leaves me to conclude that you are pro-illegal. God Bless America.

Last edited by softblueyz; 02-27-2012 at 03:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration