Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:03 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,078,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I think you need to visit any major american city, I'll give you an example; LA, there you have large parts of the city strictly Korean, other large area strictly Mexican, another strictly african american, chinese area, etc the same goes for SF, SD, Sacramento, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, etc., etc., etc....... the only monocultural area that I can think of in usa is appalachia, and no one wants to go there for sh..
So a few city blocks of where there is mostly one predominant group of people constitutes the requirement to learn a language here in the USA?, especially when in those few city blocks almost all speak English. They still fall within Western Culture as is our culture here. They all share attitudes, values, and the same goals while here. What you describe is a sub-culture based on territory and sub-groups.

Face it, both of you are arguing points that show ignorance on your behalf, Savoir Faire decries we must be more like Europe and willing to learn other languages in our own country, while Miss Wacko claims that because we have pockets of non-assimilators we must cater to them.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 02-26-2012 at 11:18 AM..

Old 02-26-2012, 10:26 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,333,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Yankee View Post
Chicago nut,

I don't think you have a very good grasp on what's taking place. The illegal immigrant population is down more than 1,000,000 over the last few years (*1), and illegal entry is at its lowest point in 4 decades (*2). What is more, Hispanic Americans (those born in the US) out-marry (that is, marry non-Hispanics) at a rate of nearly 40% (*3)---what "Hispanic" even means will change substantially, similarly to what we have seen with Americans of Irish, German, or other (now mostly mixed) ancestries.

Try having a little faith in the power of our country's culture.

*1: http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...ll_pe_2010.pdf
*2: DHS | Immigration Enforcement Actions: 2010 (figure 1)
*3: http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files...arriage-II.pdf (page 11)
We still have millions of illegal aliens in our country with our president promising them amnesty. That will open the floodgates for more to come here hoping for yet another amnesty in the future. I have seen far too many non-hispanics who have married hispanics adopting the latter's mindset rather than the other way around. As far as our culture goes I have already seen it altered a great deal here in the southwest due to the high influx of illegal aliens from south of our border.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,580,474 times
As a hispanic myself I would like to know why this article was posted in the "illegal immigration" forum since the article obviously deals with millions of hispanic Americans who are legal and are able to vote. Unless some of you rabid haters are trying to tie the "illegal alien" issue as to why legal hispanics would vote for the next President based solely on that issue.
To most hispanic Americans jobs, education and healthcare come first and the "illegal' issue isn't a top priority in regards to the other issues that I mentioned.
The issue becomes how the GOP has treated hispanics regardles of their immigration status including the SB1070 law in Arizona which many hispanics see as racial profiling.. The GOP has seem to alienate the hispanic community & they have done nothing on the immigration issue when they were in power for 8 years under Dubya.
Someone mentioned that Cubans & Puerto Ricans vote in higher numbers & that is true. Take my state of Florida where the vast majority of hispanics are not Mexicans. President Obama won those groups in Florida by a very good margin and will likely do so again. The latest polls has Obama's approval ratings at around 65% of hispanics which is way higher than than the national average. The GOP will eventually become a minority party by continuing to ignore "minorities".

Old 02-26-2012, 10:57 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,333,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
As a hispanic myself I would like to know why this article was posted in the "illegal immigration" forum since the article obviously deals with millions of hispanic Americans who are legal and are able to vote. Unless some of you rabid haters are trying to tie the "illegal alien" issue as to why legal hispanics would vote for the next President based solely on that issue.
To most hispanic Americans jobs, education and healthcare come first and the "illegal' issue isn't a top priority in regards to the other issues that I mentioned.
The issue becomes how the GOP has treated hispanics regardles of their immigration status including the SB1070 law in Arizona which many hispanics see as racial profiling.. The GOP has seem to alienate the hispanic community & they have done nothing on the immigration issue when they were in power for 8 years under Dubya.
Someone mentioned that Cubans & Puerto Ricans vote in higher numbers & that is true. Take my state of Florida where the vast majority of hispanics are not Mexicans. President Obama won those groups in Florida by a very good margin and will likely do so again. The latest polls has Obama's approval ratings at around 65% of hispanics which is way higher than than the national average. The GOP will eventually become a minority party by continuing to ignore "minorities".
I think the polls disagree with your claim that illegal immigration isn't one of the top issues with Hispanics. Please explain how the Arizona law affects Hispanic-Americans or legal immigrants. Racial profiling is prohibited and there is no such wording in the law that allows it. Hispanics who "see it" otherwise have no legal standing for it and it usually means they are just trying to protect their ethnic group here illegally from detection. If wanting our immigration laws enforced is alienatiing Hispanic-Americans then that says a lot about them, doesn't it?

Most states are not like Florida where there are mostly Hispanics of Cuban descent. Most of the Hispanics in other states and in particular the southwest are of Mexican ancestry and it is those Hispanics whereby immigration is a big issue with them. Sorry, but I will never understand how any American regardless of their ancestry or ethnic makeup can be advocates of illegal aliens regardless of how negatively it impacts this country.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,927,466 times
Quote:
Ask the OP: Miss Yauco is the 1 who posted first.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:14 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,078,292 times
Quote:
The article was posted here by the OP whom doesn't understand the difference of legal and illegal immigration, this topic would have been better in the politics forum.
While the GOP and Dubya were in office they did attempt CIR and the DREAM ACT, they were curtailed. The actual issue is the wording that is being used, the Democrats wording, if you really listen to and understand it, refers to immigrants (they blur the lines when the question is about illegals and immediately go to their talking points on immigrants in general), thus many illegals and Latinos in General believe they are talking about them, when in reality Obama and the Democrats didn't even bring up CIR in the first 3 years, the DREAM ACT was nothing but a joke at the end of the 2nd Congressional year (December 2010) after having lost their over whelming majorities (November 2010). Obama's pole rating among Hispanics is the same as what had voted for him or a little less in 2008, so really no change other than it has gone up as of late due to policy change he could have done his first day in office, but instead has waited and is now using it as a wedge issue to shore up his votes.

The Hispanic vote is less than 10% of the general population vote. As for always voting for the Democrats, it has declined from 77% voting for Clinton to only 67% percent having voted for Obama in 2008. Hispanic numbers appear to be close to the same or declining for 2012. Which in reality means the Republicans are increasing there Hispanic voting block.

There was an article as of late where in it it said that illegals were returnig to the State of Alabama and finding out from relatives telling them people weren't being deported after traffic stops as some had feared. Some initially feared the law would mean that people would be rounded up, or that "you'd be stopped just for being Hispanic," said Ferreti, an anthropologist from the University of Texas who is living in Tuscaloosa, about 60 miles southwest of Birmingham, for her studies. "That has not happened," she said.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 02-26-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
Quote:

What is the number one "hispanic" issue? Giving illegal aliens, anyone from a hispanic nation that broke the immigratiion laws and now expects a nice big reward of citizenship handed on a silver platter and also to bring in all family members they left behind to enjoy the good easy life here in this country.

Ask the OP -- unlimited immigration from hispanic nations at least Mexico and Central American nations is the number one issue of hispanic voters.

Hispanic voters do not care about taxes, nor abortion, nor foreign wars, nor gas prices, too much federal government, high unemployment rates of American people. They care about one thing and one thing only. Ask the OP.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:56 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,467,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Many Europeans are eager and willing to learn a 2nd or 3rd language, unlike many Americans. To be fair some Americans, the non ignorant ones, do want to learn 2 or 3 language.
Of course they do, you know how many Americans travel overseas, and to Europe, of course, they want to at least knwo some English.
When we traveled there were so many Americans also traveling either for business or pleasure.

I find your statement sort of rude! because someone wishes not to learn another language, should be none of your concern? i do not find that an American who does not wish to learn another language is ingorant. Their choice, not all Euuropeans spoke English

I know friends who speak 2 to 4 languages, some speak only english, and i do not look down on them. But gosh to say those who do not wish to speak another language are ignorant, is an ignorant statement!

What i find appauling is those who break the laws, and jump the fences to get here illegally, make demands on us, take from us freely, but however do not wish to learn the language of the land they have invaded!

Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,581,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Yankee View Post
Chicago nut,

I don't think you have a very good grasp on what's taking place. The illegal immigrant population is down more than 1,000,000 over the last few years (*1), and illegal entry is at its lowest point in 4 decades (*2). What is more, Hispanic Americans (those born in the US) out-marry (that is, marry non-Hispanics) at a rate of nearly 40% (*3)---what "Hispanic" even means will change substantially, similarly to what we have seen with Americans of Irish, German, or other (now mostly mixed) ancestries.

Try having a little faith in the power of our country's culture.

*1: http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...ll_pe_2010.pdf
*2: DHS | Immigration Enforcement Actions: 2010 (figure 1)
*3: http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files...arriage-II.pdf (page 11)
The U.S. government can't even keep track of foreigners who enter this country with visas. If they can't manage to track those with government issued documents, how on earth do they track those without?

Quote:
Roughly 40 percent of illegal immigrants in the United States simply overstayed their legal visas once they are in the country, but the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has limited resources to identify and remove these overstays, congressional investigators reported Tuesday.

"Despite numerous congressional and DHS efforts, we still lack an exit system that will effectively identify people who have overstayed their visas, and do so in real time," Lieberman said in a statement. "The reality is that US-VISIT remains a very troubled and ineffective program."
Homeland Security Today: DHS Lacks Resources to Identify and Remove Visa Overstays, GAO Says

Quote:
Mr. CORNYN. Madam President, last week the media reported that 17 Afghan military trainees had gone AWOL--absent without leave--from the
Defense Language Institute at Lackland Air Force base in San Antonio, TX
. The shocking thing about this is not that 17 Afghan trainees left the military base without leave, but that we hadn't heard anything about it. Even though these officers went missing over a period of 2 years, neither the Department of Homeland Security, the U.S. Air Force, nor the Department of Defense notified me. No one advised the Congress or the American people, to my knowledge, that this had happened. Obviously, it created a lot of consternation and concern.

The fact is, this is just one example--really the tip of the iceberg--of some of the problems with our broken immigration system--our inability to track individuals who come into the United States with visas, whether it is a tourist visa, a student visa, or a visa like those issued to the Afghan military officers. We have virtually no ability to track individuals who overstay their visa and then simply choose to melt into the great American landscape.
Congressional Record, Volume 156 Issue 96 (Thursday, June 24, 2010)

Despite their glaring inadequacies, we are expected to believe they actually have a clue as to the number of illegal aliens who enter/exit this country, or the alleged 40 year "low point?"

Old 02-26-2012, 12:26 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,581,162 times
Quote:
Had you bothered to actually read this thread, rather than making assumptions based on your own "rabid" opinion of the regulars on this forum, you would realize we posed that same question to the OP, Miss Y. Perhaps you should ask HER (Hispanic) why she chose to post an article in this forum that clearly has no relevance to the issue of ILLEGAL immigration.

Last edited by Benicar; 02-26-2012 at 12:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.