Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:29 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,336,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
From my perspective, I often see that the couple wants to be with each other, there isn't any concept of it being for citizenship (the only further benefit of naturalizing over legal residency is voting, unless you want to serve on a jury). That isn't an immediate gain either. My wife cried for joy when she gained legal residency, even though she was already on a K-3 visa that allowed us to cross the border and her to live here (to be fair, there was also an aspect that she was finally able to work in the United States as well).

But she isn't as motivated to naturalize. She's qualified on time for more than a year. In her mind, it doesn't change anything (despite that it requires our younger children to go through adding biometric data at age 14; they would be able to apply to derive U.S. citizenship from her once she naturalizes).

Imagine that, she just wants enough status to live (and work) here, it matters who I am (her husband), but not what I am (a U.S. citizen)...
It doesn't matter if an illegal marries a U.S. citizen out of love, desire for citizenship or both. The fact remains that just because they want to be together does not excuse their illegal entry into our country.

I am curious, why isn't your wife motivated to become a U.S. citizen? Is it because her devotion is to Mexico instead? Mind you, I am not making any accusations here just asking a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 01:47 PM

136 posts, read 85,886 times
Good Riddance.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,854,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It doesn't matter if an illegal marries a U.S. citizen out of love, desire for citizenship or both. The fact remains that just because they want to be together does not excuse their illegal entry into our country...
I am addressing that both illegal and legal immigrants are not typically going to marry a U.S. citizen to gain citizenship (I don't live in "malamute world"). There are many denials of I-601s, after years and thousands of dollars spent (an immigration lawyer familiar with the process is highly recommended, as well as getting advice from the I2US forum). Marrying a citizen is not any sort of guarantee on anything.

Quote:
...I am curious, why isn't your wife motivated to become a U.S. citizen? Is it because her devotion is to Mexico instead? Mind you, I am not making any accusations here just asking a question.
You are leading the question with an incorrect assumption. It has nothing to do with her home country, or any "loyalty" that you are thinking of. She worries needlessly about the civics test, and it is always a case of finances for the petition fees (in October of last year, the fee waiver for the derivative citizenship petitions of minor children of servicemembers and veterans was removed, so we would pay full-price for that too).

She (and the kids) are quite amazingly American by now, but without the naturalization papers to prove it...

You've even seen her in Red, White, and Blue before...

Old 04-11-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I am addressing that both illegal and legal immigrants are not typically going to marry a U.S. citizen to gain citizenship (I don't live in "malamute world"). There are many denials of I-601s, after years and thousands of dollars spent (an immigration lawyer familiar with the process is highly recommended, as well as getting advice from the I2US forum). Marrying a citizen is not any sort of guarantee on anything.

You are leading the question with an incorrect assumption. It has nothing to do with her home country, or any "loyalty" that you are thinking of. She worries needlessly about the civics test, and it is always a case of finances for the petition fees (in October of last year, the fee waiver for the derivative citizenship petitions of minor children of servicemembers and veterans was removed, so we would pay full-price for that too).

She (and the kids) are quite amazingly American by now, but without the naturalization papers to prove it...

Wearing red, white and blue doesn't necessarily mean one is American at heart. An American at heart would honor our laws, our culture, our language. That is true assimilation and loyalty. No divided loyalties. Again, I am generalizing here, if the shoe fits wear it, if it doesn't then don't.

And no, I made no assumptions, I merely asked a question.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Wearing red, white and blue doesn't necessarily mean one is American at heart. An American at heart would honor our laws, our culture, our language. That is true assimilation and loyalty. No divided loyalties. Again, I am generalizing here, if the shoe fits wear it, if it doesn't then don't.

And no, I made no assumptions, I merely asked a question.
Hahaha, I don't know who you envision us to be, but you're so funny...

Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,252,098 times
My wife a legal immigrant who is now naturalized felt the day she became a citizen to be among the greatest days of her life. Judging by the tears for joy in the room from other immigrants I would say my wife is not unique.
Its a personal decision to naturalize or not. It saves you the hassle of renewing your green card etc. It also gives many benefits. Especially when it comes to travel. Many doors open to a us citizen that are closed to others.
Back onTopic
The woman in question elected to have a relationship with an illegal.
Common sense is clearly not her strength.
The woman has elected to move herself and her children to Mexico. One would hope to a safe region. The question begs. How will she support herself and her children? How will he? After all we read post after post from the pro illegal side about how illegals are forced to come here because of the poverty at home. The vast majority of illegals are from Mexico so it is fair to assume these conditions of poverty are pretty bad in Mexico.
4 children by an illegal. Moving into a potentially dangerous place.
The threat of poverty is very real.
Clearly common sense is not this womans strength...

Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,933,975 times
Quote:

Unless your wife and step kids are US citizens, they AREN'T "American".

Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,252,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Ah be fair. They are in fact North American......

Old 04-11-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Sez who? I'm not claiming formal citizenship for them, just showing how well they have adapted. My two youngest were brought so young that they don't have an accent, and are indistinguishable from their classmates.

Why are the definitions so exacting now, when the "you know what I meant" attitude and wording is so common around here?...

Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Hahaha, I don't know who you envision us to be, but you're so funny...
I don't envision anything about you and your family as a group. I think however that you have made your own position clear in here on illegal immigration. Sorry, but I don't see the humor that you are finding.

I know it is against the rules to get personal but you are the one that keeps bringing up your family in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration