Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:00 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,331,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Let me get this straight...The woman is an AMERICAN citizen...she marries a man who is a Mexican citizen and has a family with the guy..and they send the man packing to MEXICO...bringing harm to the AMERICAN wife and children?---This is wrong. Marriage has been the traditional ticket to citizen ship...This shows that AMERICAN authorities do not respect the institution of marriage...no wonder men are getting married to men...The government condones one but not the traditional other?
How many illegal aliens would take advantage of getting married to a U.S. citizen to gain citizenship here? Come on, that leaves our immigration system wide open for abuse. Do American lawbreakers get a pass from jail just because they have a spouse and children here? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 07:39 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,040,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
How many illegal aliens would take advantage of getting married to a U.S. citizen to gain citizenship here? Come on, that leaves our immigration system wide open for abuse. Do American lawbreakers get a pass from jail just because they have a spouse and children here? Really?
It happens quite often already.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,852,350 times
Quote:
This particular couple has been together for 14 years, and attempted to do things correctly before getting married. Especially using their example as an attempt to gain U.S. citizen fraudulently for him as quick as possible is incorrect. Let's do some math:

14 years + 10 year ban + 3 years Legal Permanent Residency married to a U.S. citizen = 27 years (minimum) before being eligible to naturalize...

The child they had eight years after meeting will be at least 19 years old when her dad is able to first apply for U.S. citizenship...

That certainly is a fast-track, all kinds of patient illegal aliens will line up for that...

Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,736,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is what should happen. I have no problem with this if US citizens willingly marry illegals than they have to face the consequences of that decision.
ITA. We can thank Reagan's 1986 amnesty and the treasonous administrations on both sides of the political aisle for the past two decades for aiding, abetting and emboldening illegal aliens to invade and systematically destroy America.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:17 PM

50,412 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
This particular couple has been together for 14 years, and attempted to do things correctly before getting married. Especially using their example as an attempt to gain U.S. citizen fraudulently for him as quick as possible is incorrect. Let's do some math:

14 years + 10 year ban + 3 years Legal Permanent Residency married to a U.S. citizen = 27 years (minimum) before being eligible to naturalize...

The child they had eight years after meeting will be at least 19 years old when her dad is able to first apply for U.S. citizenship...

That certainly is a fast-track, all kinds of patient illegal aliens will line up for that...
This really bugs me. They were given a solid "NO" right? No means no. I want a Ferrari. I doubt I'll get it unless I steal it. WANT is not a valid reason for Citizenship.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This really bugs me. They were given a solid "NO" right? No means no. I want a Ferrari. I doubt I'll get it unless I steal it. WANT is not a valid reason for Citizenship.
Their attorney should have known to follow the I-129F (Fiance(e) visa) with an I-601, it would have likely been approved a dozen years ago. Immigration law is complex enough that some of the "immigration attorneys" (nor most of their clients) understand all of the nuances. For them meeting as 18-year olds, I can fully believe that they didn't know what was in store for them (but, despite all that, they have stayed devoted to each other).

When my wife and I realized that we wanted to marry, I thought it would be a breeze. Like most Americans, there was probably even a perception that the marriage would give "instant" immigration or citizenship status. As we bogged down in the delays, with another military deployment looming in front of me, we really wanted to be able to get our lives started together.

I knew of the wives of two Marines being frustrated in the same situation, and one going through a Port of Entry with documents she bought showing her as a U.S. citizen. She was caught, and received a lifetime ban from the United States for false claim to citizenship. The other was caught trying to enter concealed in a car, deported, with her husband filing the start of their I-601 while on deployment.

All of these instances, including my own, are devoted spouses just trying to be together, or in a location where the command can support their family on deployments lasting longer than a year. During the time of our processing, servicemembers were deploying to a military conflict outside the U.S., before USCIS could get their spouse in the United States. I had my command involved as much as possible, and both of my U.S. Senators, but it was still a delay.

His attempt wouldn't seem to be at citizenship, or else he would have taken a path shorter than a minimum of 27 years...

Old 04-09-2012, 06:11 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,331,919 times
Quote:
Their attorney should have known to follow the I-129F (Fiance(e) visa) with an I-601, it would have likely been approved a dozen years ago. Immigration law is complex enough that some of the "immigration attorneys" (nor most of their clients) understand all of the nuances. For them meeting as 18-year olds, I can fully believe that they didn't know what was in store for them (but, despite all that, they have stayed devoted to each other).

When my wife and I realized that we wanted to marry, I thought it would be a breeze. Like most Americans, there was probably even a perception that the marriage would give "instant" immigration or citizenship status. As we bogged down in the delays, with another military deployment looming in front of me, we really wanted to be able to get our lives started together.

I knew of the wives of two Marines being frustrated in the same situation, and one going through a Port of Entry with documents she bought showing her as a U.S. citizen. She was caught, and received a lifetime ban from the United States for false claim to citizenship. The other was caught trying to enter concealed in a car, deported, with her husband filing the start of their I-601 while on deployment.

All of these instances, including my own, are devoted spouses just trying to be together, or in a location where the command can support their family on deployments lasting longer than a year. During the time of our processing, servicemembers were deploying to a military conflict outside the U.S., before USCIS could get their spouse in the United States. I had my command involved as much as possible, and both of my U.S. Senators, but it was still a delay.

His attempt wouldn't seem to be at citizenship, or else he would have taken a path shorter than a minimum of 27 years...
I really don't know why you keep bringing up your wife's and yours immigration experience. It has nothing to do with illegal immigration. The other two examples you gave were about illegal immigration. Just because they were devoted and wanted to be together does not excuse their spouse's illegal entries.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I really don't know why you keep bringing up your wife's and yours immigration experience. It has nothing to do with illegal immigration. The other two examples you gave were about illegal immigration. Just because they were devoted and wanted to be together does not excuse their spouse's illegal entries.
Don't you think we were driven by the same frustration? I'm contrasting the examples I know of, to counter claims that spouses (whether legal or illegal immigrants) are purely driven to get U.S. citizenship. Sure, I've heard of a few cases that I know are motivated by fraud, but the majority are just trying to be together.

This case in particular is an example of those good intentions, any motivation of a quick grab at citizenship would have been evident much earlier...

I don't think the best interests of the United States are served to make a Marine chose between his country or his spouse. There might be that critical occasion where he is needed, and is not there. These are all case where couples are trying to do things the right way, and making a simple mistake or not having the support that should be there for them.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,924,636 times
Quote:
Don't you think we were driven by the same frustration? I'm contrasting the examples I know of, to counter claims that spouses (whether legal or illegal immigrants) are purely driven to get U.S. citizenship. Sure, I've heard of a few cases that I know are motivated by fraud, but the majority are just trying to be together.

This case in particular is an example of those good intentions, any motivation of a quick grab at citizenship would have been evident much earlier...

I don't think the best interests of the United States are served to make a Marine chose between his country or his spouse. There might be that critical occasion where he is needed, and is not there. These are all case where couples are trying to do things the right way, and making a simple mistake or not having the support that should be there for them.
That Marine needs to be kicked out of the Corps for marrying someone he KNEW would be illegal.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That Marine needs to be kicked out of the Corps for marrying someone he KNEW would be illegal.
I can't remember much of the specifics at this point. The wife that misrepresented herself was in Mexico, I think at least one of the two couples I was aware of had married there, and were going through a regular I-130 application (it was similar to our case, which is why it seemed more relevant to me at the time). Purely a case of the wife being frustrated, and trying to enter without telling her husband.

I certainly wouldn't say anything about a Marine (or their wife), but maybe that is just from more familiarity with them...

Semper Fi...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration