Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 04:06 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,181,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Who do you vote for?
Romney Outlines Approach to Immigration in Speech to Latino Officials - NYTimes.com

Mr. Romney’s campaign released an outline of his plan, which would include giving green cards to immigrants who earn advanced degrees at American universities; providing a path to legal status for illegal immigrants who serve in the military; and cutting red tape.“As president, I will stand for a path to legal status for anyone who is willing to stand up and defend this great nation through military service,” Mr. Romney said.

The nearly twenty-minute speech was met with tepid applause and moments of pointed silence.

So sad to see our own citizens betrayed by our elected officials.
My understanding is that illegal immigrants can't serve in the military, and I don't have a problem with giving a legal immigrant who has served in the military a fast track to citizenship, especially if they've been in a war zone.

As for giving green cards to immigrants who earn advanced degrees at American universities, I draw the line there. Just because they've come here to get an education, shouldn't mean they get any special priveleges. The understanding was that when they were through with their schooling, they'd return to their countries of origin, and that's exactly what they should do. If they want to live here, they should follow normal legal steps to get here, like any other immigrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 06:40 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,348,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
My understanding is that illegal immigrants can't serve in the military, and I don't have a problem with giving a legal immigrant who has served in the military a fast track to citizenship, especially if they've been in a war zone.

As for giving green cards to immigrants who earn advanced degrees at American universities, I draw the line there. Just because they've come here to get an education, shouldn't mean they get any special priveleges. The understanding was that when they were through with their schooling, they'd return to their countries of origin, and that's exactly what they should do. If they want to live here, they should follow normal legal steps to get here, like any other immigrant.
I agree with most of what you said. Your understanding is correct. Illegal aliens cannot lawfully serve in our military. IMO, even legal immigrants shouldn't be able to, only citizens.

The problem with that poll is the way it was worded. Such as "do you think these kids (Dreamies) are lawbreakers since they were brought here by their parents"? Right, there it was meant to take the focus off of them and put it on their parents. Granted, their parents did bring them here but that question was asked in that manner where anyone would have to say "no these kids are not lawbreakers therefore they should be given amnesty".

Another misleading question was about those who have served in our military when they can't do that. Anytime someone serves in our military however it tugs on our heartstrings and that was another misleading and inaccurate question to ask.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 PM

884 posts, read 718,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I don't know, but it seems 2/3 of them had functioning brains.
You make me laugh with your febile attempts to undermine the intelligence of people who don't agree with you. Oh and Bob, since this is the illegal immigration forum let me ask you this, why don't we send all the illegals to your house, and you feed them and clothe them? Why not Bob, your over there in sunny Fla, huh Bob? Come on there Bob, pull out that wallet, open that front door Bob. Try keeping your hands out of the wallets of the rest of America who are trying to feed their own family Bob.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:29 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,950,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It's hard not to support President Obama in light of all the GOP vendettas against the common American. They ARE the 1%.
I'm a "common" American who WON'T vote for Obama in 2012.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Anti-illegals still opposed legalization when unemployment was 4 percent when Bush took office. You will come up with another argument even if unemployment was 0 percent.
Anti-illegal ?? Brilliant.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,950,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Besides one-fourth of doctors in the United States, and one-third of nurses, being foreign-born...

Not that "foreigners" getting more jobs here (as someone says above) is the same phraseology as illegal aliens getting jobs here...
Legal or ILLEGAL aliens? I think MOST if the doctors, nurses and so on you talk about are here legally.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,487,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Don't insult me by putting words in my mouth.
You see me posting on this illegal form very seldom.
I voted for Obama.
I will not vote for him this time around.
He has been totally self serving.
Neither candidate puts the average American, the great middle class, before their own greed for power.

But you do have a point. If unemployment were low I probably would have a problem if these people choose not to integrate into society, do not learn English, and do not value our culture.

The bulk of these people seem, to me, to be scheming opportunists.
Even those in their homeland indicate that this might be the case:
Mexicans have a long history of greeting returnees with skepticism — for abandoning Mexico, or because they resent the United States, or view those who moved there as materialistic, culturally out of touch and arrogant. The prejudice often extends to their children.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/wo...ail1=y&emc=tnt
Thank you so much for being so bluntley honest. I too can tell you people i know who voted for him in 08 will not this time around.

As you, these fine folks, believe he is too self serving, and things must go his way, or it is the hwy, and they don't like this.

Until someone is our sitting President, i can't say with certainty what kind of President he might be.

What i can say is what kind of President Obama is not. And he is not one who brings joy to many people, just those who serve is purpose.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Legal or ILLEGAL aliens? I think MOST if the doctors, nurses and so on you talk about are here legally.
I agree with you on that statement. It would be the end of Hospital's name and reputation for starters should they hire people not here legally. One patient death, oh my the lawyers would have a field day. I could hear them now " We don't have to chase ambulances anymore"

Old 07-01-2012, 06:56 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,158,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
You make me laugh with your febile attempts to undermine the intelligence of people who don't agree with you. Oh and Bob, since this is the illegal immigration forum let me ask you this, why don't we send all the illegals to your house, and you feed them and clothe them? Why not Bob, your over there in sunny Fla, huh Bob? Come on there Bob, pull out that wallet, open that front door Bob. Try keeping your hands out of the wallets of the rest of America who are trying to feed their own family Bob.
Stated well but do not forget to tell Bob he can pay for all of their medical bills

Old 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,119,468 times
What the OP failed to mention in the quote was that the margin is 3 to 1 because 86% of democrats favored the amnesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration