Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:29 PM

140 posts, read 112,201 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in Las Vegas and we have in recent years seen a huge increase in illegal immigration. This has negatively effected our property values, school systems, lifestyle and our way of life in general (for example; several years ago I took my dad down to the social security office to apply for benefits and were told that we could only come on a tuesday or wednesday as all other days were spanish only!!). Now we are concerned for our childrens safety. Several months ago a 13 year old girl was raped several blocks from our home by one of the illegals. Unfortunately, this sort of thing is all too common to our area. I am fairly desperate to get my family in a safer, better place. Is this now part of the American way of life? Whre, in the US, can you raise a family without fear?
Any and all responses would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Old 10-18-2007, 12:53 PM

150 posts, read 636,805 times
I live in Vegas too.

Crime comes in all shapes sizes and ethnic backgrounds so yes crimes can be committed by illegal individuals or anyone else for that matter.

Yes, crime can drive down property values in certain neighborhoods in any city, such as Detriot or New York, or Washington....checked our Philadelphia lately? but the cause of crime is more complex than an increase in an ethnic group.

Raising a family without fear starts with the fear part....are you afraid of crime or of individuals of an ethnic background?

Last edited by VegasResident; 10-18-2007 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 01:06 PM

216 posts, read 830,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmith View Post
I currently reside in Las Vegas and we have in recent years seen a huge increase in illegal immigration. This has negatively effected our property values, school systems, lifestyle and our way of life in general
Seriously I don't think illegal immigrants have anything at all to do with our sinking property values or whatever is lacking in our school systems. If the illegal immigrants here have affected your way of life, it's because your letting them.

Illegal immigrants here in Nevada is nothing new.

Quote:
Now we are concerned for our childrens safety. Several months ago a 13 year old girl was raped several blocks from our home by one of the illegals. Unfortunately, this sort of thing is all too common to our area.
It's a terrible thing that happened to that child, but illegals are not blame for all of the rapes and other crime that happens here or anywhere else.

Quote:
Whre, in the US, can you raise a family without fear?
I guess it depends on what you're afraid of. But I would really think about raising my children in an environment that teaches them to be afraid of people that are different. In this world, you have to be able to along with all types of people, and that includes all races, ethnicities, etc. Isolating them will only hurt them in the long run, when they need to be out in the real world.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:30 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,155,726 times
I've reviewed your other posts, stsmith, they all seem to have one thing in common....rabble rousing..... I for one have absolutely NO problem with Mexicans whether legal or illegal but am a firm believer in LEGAL imigration.....

Old 10-18-2007, 01:41 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,532,519 times
Plus....hasn't the WHOLE country seen a huge increase in Illegal Immigration in the past few years? It's a hot political subject now. I also support LEGAL immigration, but I think there's a lot more legal citizens causing the crime in this country than the illegal immigrants (whom mostly try to pass under the radar, undetected and quietly.)

Old 10-18-2007, 01:43 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,957,430 times
Quote:
I currently reside in Las Vegas and we have in recent years seen a huge increase in illegal immigration. This has negatively effected our property values, school systems, lifestyle and our way of life in general (for example; several years ago I took my dad down to the social security office to apply for benefits and were told that we could only come on a tuesday or wednesday as all other days were spanish only!!). Now we are concerned for our childrens safety. Several months ago a 13 year old girl was raped several blocks from our home by one of the illegals. Unfortunately, this sort of thing is all too common to our area. I am fairly desperate to get my family in a safer, better place. Is this now part of the American way of life? Whre, in the US, can you raise a family without fear?
Thanks,

Who else are you going to get to clean hotel rooms for less then minimum wage? The smaller hotels couldn't survive with out illegal labor.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:46 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,647,486 times
Quote:
Thanks,
i wish that were too outrageous to be believed. sadly, it isn't.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:46 PM

818 posts, read 3,701,669 times
There is a huge component of our economy that needs these workers to survive. Why do you think the gov't has looked the other way for so long? Because they have no choice. Too many crummy jobs, not enough people willing to do them.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:58 PM

87 posts, read 164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasResident View Post
I live in Vegas too.

Crime comes in all shapes sizes and ethnic backgrounds so yes crimes can be committed by illegal individuals or anyone else for that matter.

Yes, crime can drive down property values in certain neighborhoods in any city, such as Detriot or New York, or Washington....checked our Philadelphia lately? but the cause of crime is more complex than an increase in an ethnic group.

Raising a family without fear starts with the fear part....are you afraid of crime or of individuals of an ethnic background?
Take head out of the sand. Look at the percentages of crimes committed by each ethnicity! The OP clearly stated that this is aboutcrime and safety, NOT ethnicity therefore I reprimand you for trying to distract from the original conversation.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:00 PM

140 posts, read 112,201 times
I have no issue with people of different ethnic backgrounds and I have no issue with legal immigrants but I do have an issue with poeople who knowingly and regularly break our laws. Why do people immediately think that illegal immigration is a racial issue? Wake up people! This isn't about race it is about abiding by the laws , cultures and norms of a society! Since I have moved here I have seen many things change:
1. Our local parks; Once a great place to visit. Now they are littered with everything from dirtly diapers to bags of trash. I can't go anywhere that I don't hear foriegn languages being spoken. Been to Home Depot lately? They play it over the loadspeakers constantly!
2. Grocery stores; Since the invasion they have been forced to lock up baby formula, cosmetics, razors, etc. If you wish to purchase these items you must ask for assistance from store personnel who cary your items up to the register. This has caused prices to escalate!
3. Hospitals; when my first daughter was born my wife wanted to have her at St. Rose because of their quality of care. The cost was around $10K (after insurance). But during pre registration we seen countless hispanics (all illegal by the look of them) having their babies for free (Medicair, free for them but a huge burden for taxpayers)
4. School system; when we first moved here my oldest daughter was on the honer role every year. She absolutely loved school. No that she is in middle school she hates school and is terrified! She is constantly bullied and harrassed by the hispanics.
I'm not personally afraid of anyone, irregardless of their color, ethnicity, etc. But I am very afraid of what these people might do to my children when I am not there to protect them.
We need change in America and we need it now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration