Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 05:54 AM

62,996 posts, read 29,178,555 times

Advertisements

Many say let illegal immigrants stay in US, poll finds

There were only a little over a 1,000 polled about illegal immigration in this poll which claimed that the majority of Americans want legalization of illegal immigrants and/or a path to citizenship now. Yet, an internet poll was conducted right after that whereby over 35,000 Americans responded and voted on this issue. The results were 80% said "no they are here by illegal means".

Do you feel illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay in the US?
  1. Yes; they deserve the opportunity.

16 %

Yes; they deserve the opportunity.
    5,681 votes

2. No; they are here by illegal means.
    80 %

No; they are here by illegal means.
    28,355 votes

3. I'm not sure.

4 %

I'm not sure.
    1,349 votes

Total Responses: 35,385
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

There were only a little over a 1,000 polled about illegal immigration in this poll which claimed that the majority of Americans want legalization of illegal immigrants and/or a path to citizenship now. Yet, an internet poll was conducted right after that whereby over 35,000 Americans responded and voted on this issue. The results were 80% said "no they are here by illegal means".

16 %

5,681 votes

80 %

28,355 votes

3. I'm not sure.

4 %

I'm not sure.
    1,349 votes

I hope you are not so poorly schooled on scientific polling that you don't understand what is going on here: the first poll was based on random sampling and sound polling methodology. The second (internet) results came from self-selected respondents and is completely worthless. You would think you conservatives would have learned your lessons about questioning modern scientific polling results, but apparently you have a ways to go yet.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I hope you are not so poorly schooled on scientific polling that you don't understand what is going on here: the first poll was based on random sampling and sound polling methodology. The second (internet) results came from self-selected respondents and is completely worthless. You would think you conservatives would have learned your lessons about questioning modern scientific polling results, but apparently you have a ways to go yet.
Merely your opinion on both. Why wouldn't you think that just as many illegal immigrant supporters would respond to an internet poll as those of us who oppose them? I'll take the opinions of 35,000 vs 1,000 any day of the week. What does conservatism have to do with it? You think only conservatives want our immigration laws enforced?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Ain't just conservatives who DON'T want illegal aliens in the US. Many liberals don't either. Sheesh!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Ain't just conservatives who DON'T want illegal aliens in the US. Many liberals don't either. Sheesh!
It is conservatives who put their heads in the sands of denial and ignorance over presidential polling showing they were going to lose. My point is that they still don't get it. An internet poll of 35K is worthless - a scientifically conducted poll of 1000 is far, far more reliable - orders of magnitude. The knuckleheads are trying to make the point that the internet poll is better because 35K self-selected respondents were polled. It's not. That's OK, they don't understand evolution or climate change either.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
It is conservatives who put their heads in the sands of denial and ignorance over presidential polling showing they were going to lose. My point is that they still don't get it. An internet poll of 35K is worthless - a scientifically conducted poll of 1000 is far, far more reliable - orders of magnitude. The knuckleheads are trying to make the point that the internet poll is better because 35K self-selected respondents were polled. It's not. That's OK, they don't understand evolution or climate change either.
Sorry you don't like the results of the poll and that is really what it is all about. Do you really have to use deragatory words like "knuckleheads"? Stop making this about conservatives. I'll ask again, do you really think that it is only conservatives that want our immigration laws enforced?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,673,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

16 %

5,681 votes

80 %

28,355 votes

3. I'm not sure.

4 %

I'm not sure.
    1,349 votes

This is nothing more than propaganda. Most Americans want them deported.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
I read the poll questions and results. Quite interesting.

The majority were White, between 30-45 (Generation X), earning less than $75K, had no guns in the home and had kids.
Another interesting bit was that there are a growing number of "Independents" when asked about party affiliation and "moderate" was a trait most described themselves as.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,673,111 times
When they start polling tens & millions of Americans, then & only then its significant enough to pay attention & watch.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I read the poll questions and results. Quite interesting.

The majority were White, between 30-45 (Generation X), earning less than $75K, had no guns in the home and had kids.
Another interesting bit was that there are a growing number of "Independents" when asked about party affiliation and "moderate" was a trait most described themselves as.
Would you post a link to those poll questions? I have a hunch that these whites were bleeding heart liberals. There are plenty of them out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration