Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Hmmmm......interesting theory.....so you're saying that in order to make the new immigrants assimilate and prize their new-found US citizenship that we should first harrass them....subjecting them to a "hazing" ritual....that way, they'll realize how special they are for surviving it and how desirable the United States is for being an exclusive club. How juvenile. Your method of assimilation is only appropriate for membership in a college fraternity. Or a gang.
This post made me remember of the Brazilian way to illegal immigration.

Maybe most of you don't know about it, but Brazil is a country built by immigrants, after slavery was abolished, there was a huge demand for workers and lots of land to develop, so there was a massive influx of people from Germany, Italy, Japan, Poland, USA, China, etc.

Brazil is a country that has almost every race in the world, but what is amazing about this country is that races mix and get along surprisingly well, you see beautiful people both men and women with mixes that you woulnd't believe, like dark skinned people with blue eyes, fair skinned people with afro features, and japanese people with tall and strong bodies like swedish vikings, here there is no prejudice against others because of their race or their ethnicity, and brazilians are one of the most friendliest and warmest people in the world with foreigners, and you have thousands if not millions of them living here, but surprisingly 97% of them speak portuguese fluently, the friendly vibes are so strong here that you can't run from them and start becoming brasileiro over time just for being here.

Something that is interesting is that brasileiros call foreigners gringos here but to spot a gringo is hard because anybody could be a brazilian regardless of their ethnicity, and the country is sooo big that every region has it's own version of portuguese so weird accents aren't uncommon, only newbie gringos who are just learning the language are easily spotted. "Illegal" immigration here is not criminalized and it is considered less than a misdemeanor, most policemen here are warm and friendly too (unless you are a criminal) those in charge of migration issues are the Policia Federal, it is very hard for you to be deported if you are here illegally, unless you are really causing some serious trouble, police here aren't zealots so if an illegal is discovered (usually when they return to their home countries and they see that they overstayed their allowed time) the law says that you have to pay a fine of 8 reais (about 4 dollars) for each day that you overstayed, but the maximum fine is of 800 reais (400 dollars) but usually you can talk to them, I know people who told one policia in perfect portuguese: cara, sinto muito mas fiquei apaixonado por uma mulher brasileira e foi por isso que acabei ficando tanto tempo (man, i'm sorry but i fell in love with a brasileira and that was the reason i stayed so long) the police officer said, hmmmmm ok even though you should pay a much heavier fine i'll give you the minimum fine, most people actually find it cool that gringos fall in love with Brazil and decide to stay, and it is not an uncommon practice, Brazilian law also states that if you have a baby here, you automatically become a legal resident regarless of your migratory status.

How do I know this? because I lived (legally) for two years with my girlfriend in this awesome country, after a couple of months people didn't notice I was a gringo anymore, and my trusted friends who knew us since we arrived used to say, vc ja é brasileiro (you are a brazilian already) or vc é da casa (you are a homie now) it was hard to return to Mexico because the saudades (brasilian word for nostalgia or homesick) were strong, but saudades do Mexico were strong too so in the end we returned, but Brazil traps you because of this friendly and open attitude towards gringos, that's the reason I'm here right now staying at my friend's house who treat me as family, I don't feel a gringo here but a true braxican, and it was these experiences what made me develop a world citizen consciousness.

Most gringos I've met here from spain, america, japan, germany, england, sweden, france both legal and illegal are waaaaay more assimilated and accepted than in most countries of the world (at least for what the news tell us)

Thanks to this attitude of tolerance toward gringos, most people end up falling in love with Brazil and considering themselves Brasileiros, this love they felt from the people who arrived here before them makes them care about this country as if it was their own.

Perhaps America could learn a lesson of two from the Brazilian way to "illegal" immigration, just my humble opinion

Love and Light!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 09:21 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
This post made me remember of the Brazilian way to illegal immigration.

Maybe most of you don't know about it, but Brazil is a country built by immigrants, after slavery was abolished, there was a huge demand for workers and lots of land to develop, so there was a massive influx of people from Germany, Italy, Japan, Poland, USA, China, etc.

Brazil is a country that has almost every race in the world, but what is amazing about this country is that races mix and get along surprisingly well, you see beautiful people both men and women with mixes that you woulnd't believe, like dark skinned people with blue eyes, fair skinned people with afro features, and japanese people with tall and strong bodies like swedish vikings, here there is no prejudice against others because of their race or their ethnicity, and brazilians are one of the most friendliest and warmest people in the world with foreigners, and you have thousands if not millions of them living here, but surprisingly 97% of them speak portuguese fluently, the friendly vibes are so strong here that you can't run from them and start becoming brasileiro over time just for being here.

Something that is interesting is that brasileiros call foreigners gringos here but to spot a gringo is hard because anybody could be a brazilian regardless of their ethnicity, and the country is sooo big that every region has it's own version of portuguese so weird accents aren't uncommon, only newbie gringos who are just learning the language are easily spotted. "Illegal" immigration here is not criminalized and it is considered less than a misdemeanor, most policemen here are warm and friendly too (unless you are a criminal) those in charge of migration issues are the Policia Federal, it is very hard for you to be deported if you are here illegally, unless you are really causing some serious trouble, police here aren't zealots so if an illegal is discovered (usually when they return to their home countries and they see that they overstayed their allowed time) the law says that you have to pay a fine of 8 reais (about 4 dollars) for each day that you overstayed, but the maximum fine is of 800 reais (400 dollars) but usually you can talk to them, I know people who told one policia in perfect portuguese: cara, sinto muito mas fiquei apaixonado por uma mulher brasileira e foi por isso que acabei ficando tanto tempo (man, i'm sorry but i fell in love with a brasileira and that was the reason i stayed so long) the police officer said, hmmmmm ok even though you should pay a much heavier fine i'll give you the minimum fine, most people actually find it cool that gringos fall in love with Brazil and decide to stay, and it is not an uncommon practice, Brazilian law also states that if you have a baby here, you automatically become a legal resident regarless of your migratory status.

How do I know this? because I lived (legally) for two years with my girlfriend in this awesome country, after a couple of months people didn't notice I was a gringo anymore, and my trusted friends who knew us since we arrived used to say, vc ja é brasileiro (you are a brazilian already) or vc é da casa (you are a homie now) it was hard to return to Mexico because the saudades (brasilian word for nostalgia or homesick) were strong, but saudades do Mexico were strong too so in the end we returned, but Brazil traps you because of this friendly and open attitude towards gringos, that's the reason I'm here right now staying at my friend's house who treat me as family, I don't feel a gringo here but a true braxican, and it was these experiences what made me develop a world citizen consciousness.

Most gringos I've met here from spain, america, japan, germany, england, sweden, france both legal and illegal are waaaaay more assimilated and accepted than in most countries of the world (at least for what the news tell us)

Thanks to this attitude of tolerance toward gringos, most people end up falling in love with Brazil and considering themselves Brasileiros, this love they felt from the people who arrived here before them makes them care about this country as if it was their own.

Perhaps America could learn a lesson of two from the Brazilian way to "illegal" immigration, just my humble opinion

Love and Light!
obrigado for a great post! i was just talking about this with a friend yesterday. we're both single and tired of the over-work and over-tax of living in the united states, paying for others in this country, etc. my friend knows several gay brasileiros who all live here in austin. i was told by others that living in a flat on the beach would cost like about $200-300/month, but that crime was very bad. my friend also said that he heard that rio is not really gay tolerant as much as one would like to believe. what's your take on this?

Old 10-28-2007, 09:23 AM

537 posts, read 441,121 times
Perhaps Mexicans and other ILLEGALS could learn and change their own countries for the better instead of coming here illegally and taking what they have no right to.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
obrigado for a great post! i was just talking about this with a friend yesterday. we're both single and tired of the over-work and over-tax of living in the united states, paying for others in this country, etc. my friend knows several gay brasileiros who all live here in austin. i was told by others that living in a flat on the beach would cost like about $200-300/month, but that crime was very bad. my friend also said that he heard that rio is not really gay tolerant as much as one would like to believe. what's your take on this?
Well brazilian is a huuuuuge country, it's bigger than the US without Alaska, and income, varies depending on the region, some places have first world living standards while others have third world living standards, most brasileiros are very tolerant with gay people, and is not uncommon to see gay couples kissing each other publicly.

Regarding Rio, my impression is that it's a nice city but it's a mess and for what i've heard crime is really bad there, most beaches near the city are polluted and you can't swim, but there are some awesome beaches not so far away.

if you want to have living standards similar to those in America you should consider the more prosperous southern states, like Paraná, Santa Catarina & Rio Grande do sul, specially the small or middle sized cities, because they are very well planned (Brazil is one of the countries with the most innovative city planing in the world) crime is low, living costs are cheap, and most cities are full of green, with lots of trees and lakes.

Maringá the city where I am right now is like that, it has a huge national park inside it with a lake in the middle, full of macacos (monkeys) and other interesting bichos (animals) it's full of trees, has an excellent infrastructure, restaurants, night clubs, etc I've seen lots of gay couples here and nobody minds, income is high here and living costs are low, although considering the drop in dollars value and the rise in the real value they could be expensive for american citizens.

Hope you find this information useful, all the best

Old 10-28-2007, 09:29 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
I think this is too glowing an assessment of Brazil, unfortunately! Maybe they have lax immigration laws, but even Brazil has problems.

There's actually a separatist movement in Brazil amongst the Southern States, and race is VERY important in Brazilian life.:

Brazilian Racism

Old 10-28-2007, 09:30 AM

Brazil, not Brazillian. Brazil is a country. Brazillian is a nationality.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I think this is too glowing an assessment of Brazil, unfortunately! Maybe they have lax immigration laws, but even Brazil has problems.

There's actually a separatist movement in Brazil amongst the Southern States, and race is VERY important in Brazilian life.:

Brazilian Racism
Very true but there are many people who go out of their way to try and make America look bad, even though in their own country they treat illegals much harsher than we ever did or would. We should follow Mexico's laws and punish harshly any illegal and then maybe they would respect us more.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:32 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
Brazil, not Brazillian. Brazil is a country. Brazillian is a nationality.
I don't understand.... what point are you trying to make this distinction for?

Old 10-28-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Well brazilian is a huuuuuge country, it's bigger than the US without Alaska, and income,
I made it for the above quote. It was not made toward you at all.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Brazilian Racism
Well, I'm speaking on my own experience, and not for something I read on an article I've been almost in the entire country and people is very tolerant here, I guess racism exists everywhere in the world, but trust me, compared to most countries I've visited Brazil is very tolerant, not just with "Illegals" but with gays, hippies, and all those groups of people that are shunned by society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration