Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,014,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
No "amnesty" has been proposed, and it seems to me you haven't taken the time to learn what the proposed legislation does or doesn't to ... if approved. Your comment regarding Social Security ignores the fact that a large number of the illegals have had social security taxes withdrawn from their paychecks and to deny them whatever they're due at some point, whether in the USA or 'back home' is not only illegal, it's mean spirited. Maybe you should be denied what you've contributed. And you comments about leaving them illegal .... is ... not even ... well, you know.
Quote:
Seeing that you're the one whining about "amnesty" ... I find it humorous that you would object to my responding to your inaccurate assertions.

So .. now .. we get to the heart of your anger. Very revealing, I'll suggest. I don't need to comment further. Readers of the discussion(s) and your previous remarks will connect the dots.

Yes ... it's mean-spirited. Probably more. Not a very Christian position to be taking.
Not exactly. How do they get SS numbers in the first place? Could they have stolen them from elsewhere? Even if they use TINs instead, they still would've had to accept the conditions of their employment. When you're not here legally in this country, why should they be given the privilege of not paying Uncle Sam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,077,632 times
Quote:
1. There is no proposal for amnesty. I enjoyed listening to one of the leaders of the Southern Baptist Confernce yesterday when he said people who keep tossing around the amnesty assertion need a lesson in English comprehension.

2. Yes, a principal interest in this issue by the SEIU is organizing the illegals, because many of the illegals are already working in jobs which are represented by the SEIU but the illegals don't have the opportunity to join the union nor enjoy whatever contract benefits there are. But, too, I think the union has an equal interest in doing the right thing. Not all of its interest is selfish.

3. For the illegals to get "full rights" would take 13-15 years from the point they registered, paid their fines/fees, etc. But before that point they would be allowed to work legally and probably join a union ... which they also liekly would be inclined to do, in certain but not all industries. The construction unions and the meatpackers have keen interest in the illegals as well.

4. As Marco Rubio has been saying, to not do anything to reform the immigration process and handle the illegal issue ... is de facto amnesty. The proposal being considered in the U.S. Senate isn't (amnesty).
What Rubio was saying is either way it is amnesty, for you to say it isn't amnesty based on some Southern Baptist Conference is laughable. Illegals can and have joined unions, to claim or say they can't shows a lack of knowledge on your part. nwlaborpress.org | Carpenters organizer faces prison, deportation How about this from a lawyers website.
Quote:
Rights if You Are Working

Illegal immigrants are blocked from collecting unemployment insurance in most states, because a condition of unemployment insurance is usually that the employee must be willing and able to work. Undocumented workers are not technically able to work, so they don't qualify. However, if you're hurt on the job, you have the right to collect worker's compensation benefits in some states. You may even have the right to collect disability insurance if you paid into it from your paychecks. You have the right to organize or join a union to force better working conditions.
http://immigration.lawyers.com/immig...mmigrants.html

Your credibility in anything is waning.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,501,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
When you're not here legally in this country, why should they be given the privilege of not paying Uncle Sam?
I'm certain someone has made the calculation, but I haven't seen it in some time ... of the amount of $ contributed to various tax categories by illegal immigrants. It's substantial, I'm certain. The Irish alone have probably contributed substantially to the cigarette and liquor taxes. The proposed legislation does require a payment of 'back taxes' and I'm interested in seeing how the tax collector will make that calculation.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 PM

63,008 posts, read 29,203,719 times
Quote:
Seeing that you're the one whining about "amnesty" ... I find it humorous that you would object to my responding to your inaccurate assertions.

So .. now .. we get to the heart of your anger. Very revealing, I'll suggest. I don't need to comment further. Readers of the discussion(s) and your previous remarks will connect the dots.

Yes ... it's mean-spirited. Probably more. Not a very Christian position to be taking.
I am just sick and tired of the focus being on the terminology rather than the crux of the matter which is objectiont to allowing them to remain here. No matter how many times it has been proven to you that there is no reform in the making but it is forgiveness (amnesty) for violating our immigration laws instead you keep insisting it is reform anyway.

Anger? What loyal American wouldn't be angry at millions of illegals in our country and the negative impact they have and some insisting they should be rewarded for doing so? Yes, connect the dots....I am a loyal, law abiding American who wants our immigration laws enforced. Oh the horror!

I have to laugh at the moral superiority attitude. And I will just leave it at that.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 AM

50 posts, read 38,123 times
It's interesting that some people are so determined to get the hard line definition of Amnesty, but when it comes to the Iraq war and multiple crimes likely committed by politicians of all affiliation, not a word about pursuing those that investigation and those criminal charges.

That war cost us $6 trillion and was based on deceit and false reports. about 50% of the GDP.

Illegal immigration costs now where near that. If this is about cost, the priorities seem very convoluted.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM

50 posts, read 38,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I am just sick and tired of the focus being on the terminology rather than the crux of the matter which is objectiont to allowing them to remain here. No matter how many times it has been proven to you that there is no reform in the making but it is forgiveness (amnesty) for violating our immigration laws instead you keep insisting it is reform anyway.

Anger? What loyal American wouldn't be angry at millions of illegals in our country and the negative impact they have and some insisting they should be rewarded for doing so? Yes, connect the dots....I am a loyal, law abiding American who wants our immigration laws enforced. Oh the horror!

I have to laugh at the moral superiority attitude. And I will just leave it at that.
Plenty of people are able to argue without anger driving their opinions. Your opinions to solve the problem, mass deportation or some other across the board government intervention are very expensive to the taxpayer and irrational.

Right now an illegal immigrant can reapply for resident visa and eventually citizenship after 10 years. Most of the plans proposed alters that same legal timeline requirement without breaking up families or forcing the government to spend on some costly hide and seek deportation plan.

The immigrants and employers that sponsor them should pay for their locality in the country. As it stands now, everyone else foots a substantial amount of the bill.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantHuman View Post
It's interesting that some people are so determined to get the hard line definition of Amnesty, but when it comes to the Iraq war and multiple crimes likely committed by politicians of all affiliation, not a word about pursuing those that investigation and those criminal charges.

That war cost us $6 trillion and was based on deceit and false reports. about 50% of the GDP.

Illegal immigration costs now where near that. If this is about cost, the priorities seem very convoluted.
I am for ending all unnecessary spending burdens to our country. That would include these useless wars and illegal immigration. Why does there have to be a priority? Both of these things are costing us mega bucks. We should end both.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantHuman View Post
Plenty of people are able to argue without anger driving their opinions. Your opinions to solve the problem, mass deportation or some other across the board government intervention are very expensive to the taxpayer and irrational.

Right now an illegal immigrant can reapply for resident visa and eventually citizenship after 10 years. Most of the plans proposed alters that same legal timeline requirement without breaking up families or forcing the government to spend on some costly hide and seek deportation plan.

The immigrants and employers that sponsor them should pay for their locality in the country. As it stands now, everyone else foots a substantial amount of the bill.
Self-deportations would cost nothing. As most in here we would like to see the job magnets removed, benefits and birthright citizenship. There is nothing costly or irrational about that and they would have no reason to remain here.

Families don't have to be broken up. These illegals and their entire family here illegally can return to their homeland. Even their U.S. born children if minors should leave with their parents.

As for anger, since millions of illegal immigrants have been allowed to sneak in here compliments of our negligent government and now trying to pass legislation to allow them to remain here I would say that is a very natural emotion to feel.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:47 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,874,208 times
Quote:
They want amnesty for illegals, but t doesn't that mean that an expanded labor pool would weaken their strength? If the illegals get full rights, might they eventually decide that they don't need a union to represent them and bypassing payment of any union dues? I don't understand how they could expect lifelong fealty from the illegal unionized workers.
In S. California many of SEIU's members and friends are Illegals, are related to them and/or they are 1 - 2 generations removed from them.

That's why their protest banners are in Spanish also often times carrying the Si Se Puede nonsense that illegals so love.

But you are 100% correct on this course of stupidity for this JOKE of a union. Illegals do not care about laws only themselves and will undercut union labor and scab themselves out at any opportunity.

So in essence SEIU is only laying the groundwork for their demise. It's leadership doesn't care as it is corrupt and just sees more dues money coming in.
Michelle Malkin | SEIU 6434: Union corruption story of the day «

Old 04-25-2013, 07:21 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,501,912 times
Quote:
When you're not here legally in this country, why should they be given the privilege of not paying Uncle Sam?
Follow the bouncing ball. Do some homework on the topic of illegal aliens, social security cards and employers who withhold taxes which are supposed to be paid into social security. How an illegal alien gets these credentials isn't a national secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration