Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:07 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,010,806 times

Advertisements

They want amnesty for illegals, but t doesn't that mean that an expanded labor pool would weaken their strength? If the illegals get full rights, might they eventually decide that they don't need a union to represent them and bypassing payment of any union dues? I don't understand how they could expect lifelong fealty from the illegal unionized workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 03:41 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,747,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
They want amnesty for illegals, but t doesn't that mean that an expanded labor pool would weaken their strength? If the illegals get full rights, might they eventually decide that they don't need a union to represent them and bypassing payment of any union dues? I don't understand how they could expect lifelong fealty from the illegal unionized workers.
they don't care about the American worker...they care about dues. That is all..

Old 04-18-2013, 05:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Once the current crop become legal, employers will start using the next batch of illegals that come across.

Those that want to cut their labor costs are not going to have a change of heart.
Those that think they do are in for a big surprise.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,499,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
1. There is no proposal for amnesty. I enjoyed listening to one of the leaders of the Southern Baptist Confernce yesterday when he said people who keep tossing around the amnesty assertion need a lesson in English comprehension.

2. Yes, a principal interest in this issue by the SEIU is organizing the illegals, because many of the illegals are already working in jobs which are represented by the SEIU but the illegals don't have the opportunity to join the union nor enjoy whatever contract benefits there are. But, too, I think the union has an equal interest in doing the right thing. Not all of its interest is selfish.

3. For the illegals to get "full rights" would take 13-15 years from the point they registered, paid their fines/fees, etc. But before that point they would be allowed to work legally and probably join a union ... which they also liekly would be inclined to do, in certain but not all industries. The construction unions and the meatpackers have keen interest in the illegals as well.

4. As Marco Rubio has been saying, to not do anything to reform the immigration process and handle the illegal issue ... is de facto amnesty. The proposal being considered in the U.S. Senate isn't (amnesty).

Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
1. There is no proposal for amnesty. I enjoyed listening to one of the leaders of the Southern Baptist Confernce yesterday when he said people who keep tossing around the amnesty assertion need a lesson in English comprehension.

2. Yes, a principal interest in this issue by the SEIU is organizing the illegals, because many of the illegals are already working in jobs which are represented by the SEIU but the illegals don't have the opportunity to join the union nor enjoy whatever contract benefits there are. But, too, I think the union has an equal interest in doing the right thing. Not all of its interest is selfish.

3. For the illegals to get "full rights" would take 13-15 years from the point they registered, paid their fines/fees, etc. But before that point they would be allowed to work legally and probably join a union ... which they also liekly would be inclined to do, in certain but not all industries. The construction unions and the meatpackers have keen interest in the illegals as well.

4. As Marco Rubio has been saying, to not do anything to reform the immigration process and handle the illegal issue ... is de facto amnesty. The proposal being considered in the U.S. Senate isn't (amnesty).
I have to disagree with you.

Amnesty | Define Amnesty at Dictionary.com

This is forgiveness for breaking a law of coming into our border without legal means. The Baptist guy just wants more $$ from illegal churchgoers, the Republicans just want to feed their corporate masters and not "lose" the Hispanic vote that turned against them in the last election. It's sad that they refuse to vote on their principles.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:

Amnesty means you are forgiven for some crime.

In this case amnesty is for foreign citizens who broke a number of laws to come here and work here, have children here and so on. Many committed felony document fraud, income tax evasion, and failure to pay into social security -- all that will be forgiven and they will be rewarded very nicely with USA citizenship and allowed to bring in all the loved ones they left behind.

Doing nothing is actually a good idea because they can be more easily deported when they are drunk driving, shoplifting and committing various other crimes.

We don't need door-to-door searches, but no one here illegally should ever expect a social security check for their retirement. They should not be given citizenship -- and why give them citizenship? Why give them amnesty? They chose to break the laws, so let them remain as illegals. It's not as though they're going to get into a snit over that and leave.

Leaving them illegal accomplishes a number of things -- easier to deport when they're bad, fewer government handouts when they lose their jobs or stop working, better for the bankrupt social security program not to add in many millions of new recipients, and harder for them to bring in their family members. Plus if the whole purpose is to have all this cheap labor, then it's better to keep them illegal so they don't start demanding raises.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 PM

No "amnesty" has been proposed, and it seems to me you haven't taken the time to learn what the proposed legislation does or doesn't to ... if approved. Your comment regarding Social Security ignores the fact that a large number of the illegals have had social security taxes withdrawn from their paychecks and to deny them whatever they're due at some point, whether in the USA or 'back home' is not only illegal, it's mean spirited. Maybe you should be denied what you've contributed. And you comments about leaving them illegal .... is ... not even ... well, you know.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
No "amnesty" has been proposed, and it seems to me you haven't taken the time to learn what the proposed legislation does or doesn't to ... if approved. Your comment regarding Social Security ignores the fact that a large number of the illegals have had social security taxes withdrawn from their paychecks and to deny them whatever they're due at some point, whether in the USA or 'back home' is not only illegal, it's mean spirited. Maybe you should be denied what you've contributed. And you comments about leaving them illegal .... is ... not even ... well, you know.
They know that they are working and paying FICA taxes before they accept the work, don't they? I work with a lot of elderly immigrants who eventually qualify for Medicare savings programs, sometimes Medicaid and SSI. These are much more benefits than Native American citizens qualify for despite working forty plus years. An immigrant only needs to work ten years to qualify for retirement benefits. It is wrong for them to better taken care of than our own parents and grandparents.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:27 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,187,836 times
Quote:
You keep repeating "no amnesty" as if it matters anyway what it is called. The objection is to allowing them to remain here regardless of what one wants to call it. So let's not get stuck on terminology rather than the meat of the matter, shall we?

It isn't mean spirited to deny them whatever SS taxes they have incurred already. Think of it as pay back for all the social services they have used while in this country illegally.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You keep repeating "no amnesty" as if it matters anyway what it is called.
Seeing that you're the one whining about "amnesty" ... I find it humorous that you would object to my responding to your inaccurate assertions.

Quote:
The objection is to allowing them to remain here regardless of what one wants to call it. So let's not get stuck on terminology rather than the meat of the matter, shall we?
So .. now .. we get to the heart of your anger. Very revealing, I'll suggest. I don't need to comment further. Readers of the discussion(s) and your previous remarks will connect the dots.

Quote:
It isn't mean spirited to deny them whatever SS taxes they have incurred already. Think of it as pay back for all the social services they have used while in this country illegally.
Yes ... it's mean-spirited. Probably more. Not a very Christian position to be taking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration