Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,850,910 times

Advertisements

And here I thought that someone legally immigrating would actually be encouraged on an illegal immigration section of the forum. This lady is already a U.S. citizen, so she needs no waivers, who would be heartless enough to poke at her in an opinion piece? Do you really think someone can learn another language at age 79 or older?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Of course not. The only ones we should be seeking out are younger ones who can actually contribute to society.
When does someone get too old to contribute to society?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The only people over 65 who should be permitted to immigrate here are genuine refugees/asylum seekers who would be in danger in their home countries. For example, if a 67 year-old North Korean managed to find their way here, I think we should let that person stay. But we shouldn't be issuing family reunification visas to the over 65s as a matter of routine, hell no.
I have an elderly Mother-in-Law. We most-likely won't bring her to the United States, but if we did we would be required to financially sponsor her, just like all other family-based immigrants. I don't even think she would ever naturalize (despite knowing enough English to function here), and was surprised see these statements from you (the opinion piece, and many of the comments here, are mocking an old woman for the way she lawfully voted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Yes, and they never contributed to social security either, and they will collect, and contribute to bankrupting our country. Many will eventually require a considerable amount of medical care as well. Nobody gets it; immigration, legal or otherwise is killing this country.
The premise of an elderly immigrant that didn't pay into Social Security drawing their own benefits is false. There are Americans that can't draw benefits the same way. You have it wrong, immigration has improved this country.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,791,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And here I thought that someone legally immigrating would actually be encouraged on an illegal immigration section of the forum. This lady is already a U.S. citizen, so she needs no waivers, who would be heartless enough to poke at her in an opinion piece? Do you really think someone can learn another language at age 79 or older?
This is partly because the legal immigration forum does not allow any criticism, only inquires. There should be a moratorium on immigration, at least until the economy improves. There are not enough jobs for Americans, yet we continue to export jobs, and import people.

Quote:
When does someone get too old to contribute to society?...

I have an elderly Mother-in-Law. We most-likely won't bring her to the United States, but if we did we would be required to financially sponsor her, just like all other family-based immigrants. I don't even think she would ever naturalize (despite knowing enough English to function here), and was surprised see these statements from you (the opinion piece, and many of the comments here, are mocking an old woman for the way she lawfully voted).

The premise of an elderly immigrant that didn't pay into Social Security drawing their own benefits is false. There are Americans that can't draw benefits the same way. You have it wrong, immigration has improved this country.
This is not false! Yes, there are Americans that did not earn enough to collect social security, but they are AMERICANS, is this suppose to be reason enough to allow elderly foreigners here, so they can abuse our system the same way? Elderly Americans who did not earn enough to collect social security still collect SSI, and are eligible for food stamps, subsidized housing and heating assistance, etc. The idea of sponsoring does not work either, because these people are still eligible for benefits, and are not going to be deported regardless of the circumstance. Obama's aunt Zeituni is an example.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,315,092 times
Quote:
And let's say for argument's sake that your MIL immigrated here legally, then developed cancer and required expensive medical care.

Who is going to pay for that? You? ROFL!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
And let's say for argument's sake that your MIL immigrated here legally, then developed cancer and required expensive medical care.

As I said, the medical insurance I have from my employment (the only way we would bring my MIL here is to have her within our household for her care) covers even catastrophic conditions quite well, Thank You. Phrased in the first-person, why would you have doubts on my abilities for the sponsorship of one more immigrant? Nothing was noted in the opinion piece either to what legal immigration sponsorship this old lady had either.

As a Democrat (if not registered as such, you forward that stance), you don't believe in the principles of subsidized healthcare to make it affordable for everyone?

Read the opinion piece again, the main objection seems to be how these elderly immigrants will vote once naturalized...

Old 04-23-2013, 12:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,315,092 times
Quote:
As I said, the medical insurance I have from my employment (the only way we would bring my MIL here is to have her within our household for her care) covers even catastrophic conditions quite well, Thank You. Phrased in the first-person, why would you have doubts on my abilities for the sponsorship of one more immigrant? Nothing was noted in the opinion piece either to what legal immigration sponsorship this old lady had either.

As a Democrat (if not registered as such, you forward that stance), you don't believe in the principles of subsidized healthcare to make it affordable for everyone?

Read the opinion piece again, the main objection seems to be how these elderly immigrants will vote once naturalized...
So, you'd be able to put your elderly MIL on your insurance? Such plans are rare; most plans that allow dependents only allow spouses and offspring up to a certain age. And what would you do if you got fired or switched jobs and you couldn't have your MIL on your rare Cadillac plan?

I'm not a registered Democrat. I'm not a registered anything. I do support single-payer universal healthcare, but only for Americans and qualifying LPRs. I also do not agree with granting visas to extended family; we are one of the only nations on Earth that does that. It's ridiculous. We do not need to bring elderly people here who can become ill and start drawing taxpayer benefits of any kind. We have enough native-born leeches as it is.

I don't think someone who has never paid into our SS system should be able to draw benefits from it at all, for any reason.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,240,056 times
Quote:
I don't think someone who has never paid into our SS system should be able to draw benefits from it at all, for any reason.
Unless things have changed (which is possible, but I certainly hope the feds are still managing the program this way)...

Immigrants cannot collect US Social Security (or SSI or Disability) if they haven't worked here for the minimum number of qualifying quarters, unless they emigrate from one of the countries with whom the US has a Social Insurance Treaty (and they would have needed enough working credits there to qualify in their former home country).

The countries on the list are generally those with similar social insurance programs to US Social Security:

Country and Date of Treaty
Italy November 1, 1978
Germany December 1, 1979
Switzerland November 1, 1980
Belgium July 1, 1984
Norway July 1, 1984
Canada August 1, 1984
United Kingdom January 1, 1985
Sweden January 1, 1987
Spain April 1, 1988
France July 1, 1988
Portugal August 1, 1989
Netherlands November 1, 1990
Austria November 1, 1991
Finland November 1, 1992
Ireland September 1, 1993
Luxembourg November 1, 1993
Greece September 1, 1994
South Korea April 1, 2001
Chile December 1, 2001
Australia October 1, 2002
Japan October 1, 2005
Denmark October 1, 2008
Czech Republic January 1, 2009
Poland March 1, 2009

Old 04-26-2013, 01:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
If she's too stupid or senile to learn anything, what's the point in encouraging her to come here?

It's about the better government handouts that she would get as a citizen, not anything useful that she can contribute. There should be no waiving of the literacy tests just so we can continue to scrape the bottom for impoverished dependent immigrants.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:

They have a whole welfare program called "emergency medicaid" for non-citizens including illegals that gives them free taxpayer provided health care.

This is what family reunification includes -- illegals want to bring over their elderly and infirm and get them on government handouts here. Of course to get citizenship which qualifies them for disability, they definitely need the standards lowered for them.

These immigrants benefit this nation in no way whatsoever. It's all about making the US into the flophouse of the world.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If she's too stupid or senile to learn anything, what's the point in encouraging her to come here?

It's about the better government handouts that she would get as a citizen, not anything useful that she can contribute. There should be no waiving of the literacy tests just so we can continue to scrape the bottom for impoverished dependent immigrants.
You're actually calling a woman "too stupid" or "senile" if she didn't learn a second language when she was 79 or older?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration