Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do pro illegal people ignore the laws?
They think the laws aren't fair 18 51.43%
They don't care about being lawful 3 8.57%
They have a mental illness 3 8.57%
They want to see the US destroyed 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 06:29 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,864,960 times

Advertisements

the main reason pro-illegals ignore the laws:

THE GOVERNMENT LETS THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

very simple, aint it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 06:49 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,513,041 times
Hey guys, the question is why do pro illegal supporters (not the illegals themselves) think it's OK for illegals to be here. It seems like every time we try to enforce the laws now we are met with opposition from some groups of legal Americans that are pro illegals that try to stop the efforts.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:53 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,513,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Ditto.

The overall 'vibe' in this board is anti illegal immigrant.
Which by the way, is representative of the entire country. I've heard polls range in the 70-80% against illegals overall. Yet most of what we hear about in the media is from the minority of pro illegals wanting their way.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:58 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,454,431 times
Imho reality has surpassed those laws, economics too (but I might be wrong) and there is a need to create laws that work.

It is easy for us to think that creating laws or enacting laws will bring solutions, but sometimes it is not the case (imho) specially if they were created or enacted with a political interest.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:21 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,212,463 times
Big business traditionally is pro immigration-----legal or not, as things are panning out.

OTOH: 'working' people tend to be anti immigration.

Although; with outsourcing of IT jobs and the like, more and more so-called 'white collar' types are in peril of falling out of the Middle Class as well.

And the saddest part is that us Americans have controlled our breeding in all racial/ethnic groups yet we are still the 'great unwashed'

I swear: 'Dubya' Bush is an illegal lover.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:37 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,349,505 times
I think the illegals do themselves a disservice by disrespecting the citizens of this country who SUPPORT them - they often don't pay taxes (and if they do, they're using a fake SS# or your SS#!), they get "free" healthcare, "free" education for their kids, free welfare, free WIC, free, free, free.......and, we, the American taxpayers pay for them.

And, then, they disrespect the "hand that feeds them" by marching in our streets with FOREIGN flags, demanding "rights" that they don't even have!!

I think that's why there's a lot anti-illegal sentiment. They should be grateful to the American people who give them everything, but instead, they demand more and more, and "bite the hand that feeds them".

To me, that's why it goes beyond being against our government, Mexico's government, and the corporations that hire the illegals. It's that deep disrespect that we don't deserve, nor will we put up with it.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:48 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,548,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Greed. Money. Lack of compassion for the middle class, the people who are really affected by it. It's easy to sit in your multi million dollar home and reap the benefits from taking advantage of paying an illegal immigrant $3 and hour and threaten him/her with deportation if they ask for more money, meanwhile not giving a crap about the middle class American who's job was stolen because as a big business owner or Government employee you know your job is perfectly safe. Scumbag business owners and politicians silently fight for illegal migrant workers because they're getting rich off them. Did I miss anything?
I agree completely with your sentiments, but I am a stickler for pointing out inaccuracies. While I'm sure there may be incidents of people working for $3 an hour, I'm also sure that the vast majority of illegals are earning much much more. Those who use fraudulent documentation are obtaining mainstream employment with legitimate businesses that, by law, must pay at least the minimum wage.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:59 AM

1,511 posts, read 981,667 times
ill say my piece and ill play devils advocate, just so all bases are covered:

i voted for the first option. laws are not perfect, as evidenced by past repeals. prohibition being a big one, the chinese exclusion act being another.

but if we want to believe that the laws are indeed perfect, then anchor babies are perfectly legal and we should have no argument against them.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:02 PM

1,511 posts, read 981,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Which by the way, is representative of the entire country. I've heard polls range in the 70-80% against illegals overall. Yet most of what we hear about in the media is from the minority of pro illegals wanting their way.
george bush's approval rating was super high initially. the more we learned about him (through time and actions in that time), the more his approval rating dropped. its safe to say that many people are ignorant about immigrants in general, in terms of the lives they live, their intent on immigrating, their culture, etc.

maybe the same trend will hold true for immigration as the general population acquires more knowledge of them. i mean, this wouldnt be the first time the american population was wrongfully fearful of a new culture:
  • In the mid-18th century, Benjamin Franklin worried about German immigrants who will "be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our Language or Customs, any more than they can acquire our Complexion."
  • In the mid-19th century, the popular view in the West was that Chinese immigrants were "unassimilable." The hysteria led to the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882. In 1943, the act was repealed, and the Chinese were assigned an annual quota of 105 immigrants.
  • In the early 20th century, amid worries that southern Europeans (Italians) were predisposed to criminality and practiced a superstitious religion (Roman Catholicism), Congress set quotas and reduced the number of immigrants from each country in proportion to their percentage of the U.S. population in 1890 — when most immigrants came from northern and western Europe.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:08 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,548,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
george bush's approval rating was super high initially. the more we learned about him (through time and actions in that time), the more his approval rating dropped.
Irrelevant.
Quote:
its safe to say that many people are ignorant about immigrants in general, in terms of the lives they live, their intent on immigrating, their culture, etc.
Except those who support illegal immigration. They truly, truly, really understand the illegal aliens and the illegal immigration issue. I mean, we all know that illegals would starve to death if not for illegally immigrating, and if we send them home, lettuce will cost $10 a head. Leave my salad alone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration