Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:54 PM

185 posts, read 355,351 times

Advertisements

America takes in more legal immigrants every year than the rest of the world combined! I would say that's more than fair. Not to mention 3 million illegals annually.

Our infrastructure cannot keep up with those numbers, everybody will suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 02:08 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
America takes in more legal immigrants every year than the rest of the world combined!
And guess where most legal immigrants come from? Yes...you guessed it...Mexico. More than the next nine countries combined. Yep, our policy is soooo biased against Mexicans.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:18 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
United States plays "big brother" more than it should and does not spend as much time and money taking care of its own citizens. These Mexican citizens do not respect us, they are using us and it should stop and I believe it will stop because our citizens will demand that it stop.
The US is fairly rare, in terms of the world's cultures. We suffer a lot of self-recrimination and guilt. Most cultures--(particularly "macho" cultures)---don't think this way. In those cultures, being overly "nice", or trying to compromise, or to appease others, doesn't get you any gratitude--it gets you disgust and contempt. You look like a fool---or a sissy---or just plain pathetic,... if you don't "stand up for yourself". In the eyes of many cultures, we Americans are WAY too accomodating to get any respect. We're "wimps" in their eyes, and don't deserve to be taken seriously.

Sorry if I sound blunt....but this is a pretty "blunt" issue...

Old 11-09-2007, 02:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I don't know but this quote from Gandhi left me thinking.

If someone has seen Gandhi's movie, with Ben Kingsley representing him, I recommend it, what would have Gandhi done if he was an illegal immigrant?
What are your thoughts?
passive disobediance, the ghandi way works
civil disobediance the martin luther king way works
lying cheating and stealing violent crack head gang bang way, you know the new way
does not work. its just another bad guy trying to look like a victim

Old 11-09-2007, 02:35 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The US is fairly rare, in terms of the world's cultures. We suffer a lot of self-recrimination and guilt. Most cultures--(particularly "macho" cultures)---don't think this way. In those cultures, being overly "nice", or trying to compromise, or to appease others, doesn't get you any gratitude--it gets you disgust and contempt. You look like a fool---or a sissy---or just plain pathetic,... if you don't "stand up for yourself". In the eyes of many cultures, we Americans are WAY too accomodating to get any respect. We're "wimps" in their eyes, and don't deserve to be taken seriously.

Thankfully, specially in big and modern Mexican cities, younger generations are starting to shun that Macho attitude.

Yuck!

I think that Macho attitude is nothing but a mask for an inferiority complex

Now getting back to topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
passive disobediance, the ghandi way works
civil disobediance the martin luther king way works
lying cheating and stealing violent crack head gang bang way, you know the new way
does not work. its just another bad guy trying to look like a victim
First of all, I want to thank you people for your time and responses

Now please tell me, all of you what would you think if a leader like Gandhi or Martin Luther king rose and started guiding those people far from lying cheating and stealing violent crack head gang bang way into passive disobediance or civil disobediance?

Imagine they were holding American flags instead of foreign flags, kindly asking to be accepted as americans combined with their disobediance what would you think of them?

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-09-2007 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 02:39 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Thankfully, specially in big and modern Mexican cities, younger generations are starting to shun that Macho attitude.

Yuck!

I think that Macho attitude is nothing but a mask for an inferiority complex
As the years go by, I hope you get more and more people on your side....

Old 11-09-2007, 04:34 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Whether current immigration law benefits America is completely irrelevant. It is our right, as a sovereign nation, to implement any law we choose. This is the meaning of sovereignty. As a free democratic people, if we decide to harm the country through immigration law, so be it. Our national sovereignty is no different than your personal sovereignty. If you decide to harm your body by smoking and drinking, that's your business; no one else's. The same holds true with controlling the borders. The borders are ours to control. It doesn't matter what foreign nationals/governments feel about our decisions.
Exactly! And for those that think they can pick and choose the laws, you can't. The whole reason we need laws is for people that don't know enough to do the right thing. Unfortunately, more and more people don't seem to get that personal responsibility concept anymore so we will be needing to keep those laws around.....

Old 11-09-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Right again! This whole thing is making us look like wimps. And instead of standing up and enforcing the laws we cowder at the thought of someone not "liking" us. It's time to kick butt and stop worrying about appeasing everyone.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
America takes in more legal immigrants every year than the rest of the world combined! I would say that's more than fair. Not to mention 3 million illegals annually.

Our infrastructure cannot keep up with those numbers, everybody will suffer.
Excellent point! And this still isn't enough to appease the tiny pro-illegal base? Open the doors to everyone and this country will go down hill fast. Those that like to protest and complain about the laws may very well loose all their rights. Wonder if they'll think it was a good idea to overlook immigration laws then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration