Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 01:57 PM

170 posts, read 847,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You and Macmeal 'stole' the words out of my mouth--------the slow decline of Rome.
I agree. Immigration is causing this country to decline and go down. Not over a trillion dollars spent on a war, not an incompetant administration, not overbloated industry prices and non-increasing wages, not our tarnished international image..

but illegal immigration. Shouldn't we be rounding up these immigrants already and busing them back to where ever they came from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 02:48 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,450,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post
I agree. Immigration is causing this country to decline and go down. Not over a trillion dollars spent on a war, not an incompetant administration, not overbloated industry prices and non-increasing wages, not our tarnished international image..

but illegal immigration. Shouldn't we be rounding up these immigrants already and busing them back to where ever they came from?
Dear Embraer: Something tells me you are being sarcastic :P

Btw are you in anyway associated with Brazilian's Aerospace company Embraer?

Old 11-17-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I disagree. The downfall of America is being caused by none other than immigration. There are no other factors, period.

That is why spending so much time and money debating, arguing, and trying to deport immigrants while ignoring other issues is a good thing. Sure we have many so called "issues" happening in our country and much of it may be contributing to our decline...

but so what? The real problem is immigration. We should deport all immigrants except for those who are white and english speaking immigrants. They can stay-see I don't hate all immigrants, only certain ones.

This next upcomming election I don't want to hear debates about the war, health care, the economy, our international image....

I want to hear about things that affect me which is the legal status of MOD CUT and of course gay marriage. Those are the only 2 important issues.

Come to think of it: Can we deport gay couples along with immigrants?? Shouldn't be that hard....

I fly one of their planes for a living, and I've been to Brazil many times!
Brazil rocks huh? few countries are as special as her

With all respect: Do you really believe that illegal immigration is what's causing America's downfall?

With all respect, that kind of thought seems like self denial to me, what is causing her downfall is the sum of many factors, maybe too much to discuss it here in the forum, but the core of it's downfall is that, the vibes in america are strongly charged to the negative side currently, there's too much hatred, selfishness, greed, lust, racism, pride, etc, this is what is causing the problems America is having.

Karma is a powerful force, you can deny it's existence, but you can't flee from it's effects.

You can blame illegal immigrants and unleash your wrath on them, but this won't help karma, it would just create more karma and worse consequences.

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-17-2007 at 04:51 PM..

Old 11-17-2007, 03:35 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,977,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreDudley View Post
unfortunately, 5000+ years of superior and progressive development of Caucasian civilization, disproves your argument.

China, India, Brazil, and Mexico, are the recipients of lavish gifts from Caucasian civilization. their success is from the generous (outrageous), self-sacrificing donations of Caucasian industries, technology, science...

if Caucasian civilization maintained a trade-secret, closed-society policy similar to China (ie, silk, porcelain), instead of handing over their developments to the world, people from India, Africa, Mexico or China wouldn't be able to post on an Internet forum, let alone use a computer, ride a car,a bike or even have work affiliated to a modern industry. no need to pat yourselves on the back.
People of all races and cultures have contributed mightily to the development of this world; not just Caucasians. Race is not an issue with me.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I find myself agreeing with you here ProLogic.
ditto here

Old 11-17-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Travellingfella: Your first assesment of my posts was correct

And yes, Brazil does rock!
Dear Embraer: Then just tell me something, as you must know, Brazil is waaaaay tolerant with illegal immigration, it's a well kept secret that you can become brazilian by coming here and staying, you can be here ilegally for 20 years, and if you are caught you just have to pay a small fine, you can even appeal to the federal police here, about the reason that made you stay here ilegally and if you come with a good reason, the fine can be lowered or even avoided!! if you do this you aren't banned in any way to return, you can have a baby here and then you become 100% legal, regardless of your status, there are many other "tricks" to legalize your illegal immigration in this country, and how come Brazil is improving everyday, instead of falling apart?

Love and Light!

Old 11-17-2007, 04:08 PM

170 posts, read 847,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Dear Embraer: Then just tell me something, as you must know, Brazil is waaaaay tolerant with illegal immigration, it's a well kept secret that you can become brazilian by coming here and staying, you can be here ilegally for 20 years, and if you are caught you just have to pay a small fine, you can even appeal to the federal police here, about the reason that made you stay here ilegally and if you come with a good reason, the fine can be lowered or even avoided!! if you do this you aren't banned in any way to return, you can have a baby here and then you become 100% legal, regardless of your status, there are many other "tricks" to legalize your illegal immigration in this country, and how come Brazil is improving everyday, instead of falling apart?

Love and Light!
Travellingfella I think you missed my point in my last post. I was being sarcastic the whole time

As for Brazil: Immigration laws have become much more strict following re-democratization and the rapidly exanding economy. This has lead to many immigrants from Latin American and Africa attempt to live in Brazil. Recently the entire Cuban Olympic team was in Brazil for the PanAm games and they deserted and scattered throughout Brazil in hopes of staying.

They were all picked up by the Federal Police and deported. Now, the law may be strict but the people are not. In Brazil a person doesn't care where you are from as much as who you are as a person.

On the legal side of things: You can't become Brazilian by simply going there and staying. In the old days(the 80s and before) entering Brazil and staying was much easier and really you could almost "pay" your way in like you said, but those days are long gone. These days to legally stay in Brazil you have but a few options. Marrying a Brazilian is one way, and having a baby in Brazil is another way of being granted citizenship. Then of course you could go to Brazil on a work sponsored visa, live with no arrest record for a few years then apply for permanent status.

About 2 years ago an escaped Mexican criminal who fled to Brazil, can't remember her name, made sure she got pregnant by a Brazilian pretty quick. The Federal Police picked her up and made sure she was extradited back to Mexico before her baby was born, otherwise they would have been obligated to grant her Brazilian citizenship. There was another case where about 30 Africans-I think they were Angolan-came to Brazil hiding inside a large ship, then as the ship neared the coast and the Africans saw Brazil they became so excited they all jumped ship and attempted swimming to shore. They all drowned

So Brazil does have strict immigration laws but they are applied in a much better way. There is no fear in Brazil of people who come from other countries so the general population tends to be very welcoming. The Government does not apply strict quotas as to who can get in and from where. But never the less there are problems with that immigration system as well, but I will say that at the very least people down there are less xenophobic.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:01 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,197,444 times
Quote:
Travellingfella I think you missed my point in my last post. I was being sarcastic the whole time

As for Brazil: Immigration laws have become much more strict following re-democratization and the rapidly exanding economy. This has lead to many immigrants from Latin American and Africa attempt to live in Brazil. Recently the entire Cuban Olympic team was in Brazil for the PanAm games and they deserted and scattered throughout Brazil in hopes of staying.

They were all picked up by the Federal Police and deported. Now, the law may be strict but the people are not. In Brazil a person doesn't care where you are from as much as who you are as a person.

On the legal side of things: You can't become Brazilian by simply going there and staying. In the old days(the 80s and before) entering Brazil and staying was much easier and really you could almost "pay" your way in like you said, but those days are long gone. These days to legally stay in Brazil you have but a few options. Marrying a Brazilian is one way, and having a baby in Brazil is another way of being granted citizenship. Then of course you could go to Brazil on a work sponsored visa, live with no arrest record for a few years then apply for permanent status.

About 2 years ago an escaped Mexican criminal who fled to Brazil, can't remember her name, made sure she got pregnant by a Brazilian pretty quick. The Federal Police picked her up and made sure she was extradited back to Mexico before her baby was born, otherwise they would have been obligated to grant her Brazilian citizenship. There was another case where about 30 Africans-I think they were Angolan-came to Brazil hiding inside a large ship, then as the ship neared the coast and the Africans saw Brazil they became so excited they all jumped ship and attempted swimming to shore. They all drowned

So Brazil does have strict immigration laws but they are applied in a much better way. There is no fear in Brazil of people who come from other countries so the general population tends to be very welcoming. The Government does not apply strict quotas as to who can get in and from where. But never the less there are problems with that immigration system as well, but I will say that at the very least people down there are less xenophobic.
Well; what may work for Brazil clearly does not work here------partly due to the former country's 'Iberian' based culture. Here the 'Anglo Saxon' rule of law pretty much holds sway here.

Brazil has a huge percentage of poor people......that make many of our 'poor' look almost Middle Class.

Too; the White Brazilians tend to pretty well off whereas the darker skinned ones are usually much poorer for whatever the reason.

That Mexican woman of whom you speak of was Thalia, I believe. She is a singer.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Well; what may work for Brazil clearly does not work here------partly due to the former country's 'Iberian' based culture. Here the 'Anglo Saxon' rule of law pretty much holds sway here.

Brazil has a huge percentage of poor people......that make many of our 'poor' look almost Middle Class.

Too; the White Brazilians tend to pretty well off whereas the darker skinned ones are usually much poorer for whatever the reason.

That Mexican woman of whom you speak of was Thalia, I believe. She is a singer.
Actually the Mexican woman of whom embraer spoke was Gloria Trevi, her story is sad, he happened to be in the hands of a composer who was very talented but had a really twisted mind, he abused all the girls that were on his charge and made them do awful things, when Aline Fernandez, one of the young talents which he was supposed to help wrote a book called glory for hell, this came to light so he fled to Brazil and tried to hid here until he was discovered by the interpol, now Gloria Trevi's back in Mexico and she retook her artistic career.

It is true that Brazil has lots of poverty, but things are getting much better now as the economy keeps improving, Brazil is weird though, it is a huuuuuuuuge country, with areas that are 100% first world or even betterm really there are some cities whose living standards simply amaze me, while others are 100% third or even 4th world, states located in the south are usually very prosperous, organized, well planned and with booming industries while the north is poor, specially the northeast.

What you mentioned about Iberian culture and Anglo saxon culture might be true, but Brazil's a melting pot of cultures and influences that have created a rich and beautiful culture, people here just mixes and blends, most brazilians are so warm and friendly and lack prejudices against gringos (foreigners are called gringos here) that it's hard not to become brazilian over time, specially considering that Brazil is the country of beautiful women and handsome men, with some pretty interesting racial mixes that you can't see anywhere else in the world.

Immigration here is very easy, even though the literal laws are strict, you can buy your way here if you have about 50,000 dollars to spend as "investment" but even if you don't you can go to the embassy and convince them to grant you a visa if you can demonstrate that you will start some kind of business that will employ brazilians, and you'll eventually invest those 50 grand over time.

The same with tourists and artist visas, if the law was interpreted literally you could only stay for 90 days and then extend your stay for an additional 90 days, but law is flexible here, me and my gf were able to legally extend our visas for almost 2 years with diplomacy and politeness

I have to say that Brazil is in my heart and I've became a Brazilian for the influence of this astounding nation, or to put it more properly I'm now a Mexilian who speaks american english, that has an indian guru who was an american immigrant himself when he was still in this earth, but the truth is that i'm just a soul with no country who happens to be temporarily inhabiting this fleshy container that will be discarded someday.

Love and Light!

here's Gloria Trevi picture for you to see with her son angel gabriel

Old 11-18-2007, 11:18 PM

547 posts, read 1,187,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Pretty depressing, SimpleMan---and I've often asked myself, almost word-for-word, your concluding question---"Why are they allowing this? Whoever it is, don't 'they' live here, too? Why would ANYBODY willingly allow this"? Even the unbridled greed of the worst elements of big business, I don't think, can fully explain this.

As I've said many times, history won't be kind to us. Someday in the future, we'll be cited as the first nation in history that, having reached the absolute "top", and the position of world leader, then proceeded to WILLINGLY dismantle itself, and allow itself to descend into eventual third-world mediocrity. It's not a joke, it's not an exaggeration, it's not a misstatement...it's already happening right now, as we speak, and from all appearances is probably already irreversible. We're doing this to OURSELVES. 35 years of "Political Correctness" and a misguided love affair with "multiculturalism" have gone a long way to simply removing our ability to see the world in rational terms. We can no longer "judge" anything, and without that, no one can work through the hard issues.

Many nations throughout history have been vanquished and brought down by hostile foreign invaders---but none, in modern history, have been vanquished and brought down by their OWN INHABITANTS. This is pretty much a "first"..
So very sad and so very true. Excellently written macmeal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration