Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:43 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times

Advertisements

Undocumented parents are deported while their children struggle - CNN.com

Quote:
Miami (CNN)
Quote:
-- They came home from school to find their father missing.
It had started off like any other day. As usual, Ronald Soza dropped off his kids Cesia, 17, and Ronald Jr., 14, at school in Pompano Beach, Florida.

Ronald Soza returned home to find U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents waiting for him at his doorstep. Soza, an undocumented immigrant from Nicaragua, was taken to a detention center.

When the teens -- both legal residents -- came home to an empty house at the end of the day, they realized something was very wrong.

Then the phone rang. It was their father, trying to reassure them that everything would be OK.
"Even though we knew my father might get deported, we never thought that it would actually happen, especially since ICE already took our mother away five years ago," Cesia told CNN.....
I love children but I find it hard to be sympathetic to this as I see my grandchildren struggling to find good jobs. I am still working at age 70 because I have to. I know the taxes I pay are supporting illegals or the children of illegals and it isn't right. My grandchildren could be using those benefits, have earned the right to have any benefits that might be coming from my taxes.

Of course, the whole piece is designed to elicit sympathy for illegals. It doesn't happen. The postings afterwards were almost swamping the site. One fellow said his family had to give up their business of many years because their fair prices were underbid by illegals. He was very bitter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 09:34 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Undocumented parents are deported while their children struggle - CNN.com

[b]

I love children but I find it hard to be sympathetic to this as I see my grandchildren struggling to find good jobs. I am still working at age 70 because I have to. I know the taxes I pay are supporting illegals or the children of illegals and it isn't right. My grandchildren could be using those benefits, have earned the right to have any benefits that might be coming from my taxes.

Of course, the whole piece is designed to elicit sympathy for illegals. It doesn't happen. The postings afterwards were almost swamping the site. One fellow said his family had to give up their business of many years because their fair prices were underbid by illegals. He was very bitter.
Agreed.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:38 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
This is a choice made by the parents of those children when the parents are illegal and remain illegal.
There is no one to blame but the parents for choosing to start out and remain illegal.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
From the article:

"ICE told CNN in a written statement that Soza was arrested last year and was allowed to return home under certain conditions, such as attending appointments with immigration authorities. But while under supervision, Soza committed 39 violations, including failure to attend appointments with immigration authorities, according to ICE".

So the truth comes out. Not only did he and his wife violate our immigration laws but as you can see from the above the father continued to thumb his nose at our immigration laws. No sympathy from me.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:35 AM

But that is the point I have made, over and over, illegal immigrants still feel like they are owed something because they made it her to the shores of the USA. Why ? The sheer arrogance is what turns me off. I try and look at it from their viewpoint and be reasonable but, I think the numbers are just too over whelming to take a humanatarian view.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
I'm sure all kids are frightened when their parents choose to abandon them. And it must be difficult when they realize that once the parent couldn't exploit them for food stamps, and other government handouts that they are no longer wanted by those parents.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:35 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
1 down, 30+ million to go.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
1 down, 30+ million to go.
LOL. I feel the same way. Does that make us bad people.....?

Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
LOL. I feel the same way. Does that make us bad people.....?
I don't know. I struggle with that question a lot, AnnieA.

I don't want to see anyone's family torn apart. I also don't want to see anyone struggling, homeless, hungry . . . but I also don't understand why non-citizens are allowed to come here and get benefits that they did not contribute to through taxes.

And having spent time in Europe, all I can think about is . . . let me just plop my butt down in Switzerland (my ancestors are from Switzerland and I LOVE it there) - and let's see what happens.

Let me just stay there instead of flying back home . . . and let's discover how other countries deal with non-citizens who have decided to illegally squat in their country.

It wouldn't be a pretty sight, b/c their laws are so strict - wh/ is why they have a country that isn't in debt the way the USA is.

So I am torn. My compassionate side doesn't want anyone to suffer, but my realistic side knows full well that no other country would treat me the way non-citizens get treated here. I would get the boot.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:30 AM

175 posts, read 406,362 times
I would love to say how I feel...but the amedment of 'Free Speech' does not exist here. The truth hurts.....

My parents came from Germany in the 50's. Even then, they had to wait in Jersey for SEVERAL weeks to even apply for permissionto stay in the States while they applied for residency. The process took 4 years. My mother even went back to Limburg to be with her mother when I was born in case they were denied entrance. I was given residency when my mother returned....after she APPLIED for my residency!
My parents waited 4 years.
Both of them found jobs even before they were granted residency.
Both had to learn English- and were proud to speak the language of USA.
They got legal jobs and paid whatever was legal-I don't know if taxes were taken out at that time.
THEY DID EVERYTHING LEGALLY!! They didn't SNEAK here like the criminals of today!
The USA is weak. Mexicans, Hatians, Cubans...WHOMEVER sneaks in here should be sent to prison I feel, but not a USA prison-that is too good for them! We don't want the expense of giving them the luxurious life here! We need some kind of agreement with their country that they will be returned to the prison of their country if found trying to leave their country illegally!
A friend of mine just lost both of his parents within 2months of each other in Cuba. When he went back for the first funeral, he wasn't allowed to come back to the USA until all his father's bills had been paid...ALL OF THEM.
He stayed until his mother also passed. He wasn't going to be allowed to leave again until everything was paid. He had his wife sell one of their cars/stock to pay the bills.
Cuba wasn't about to let it's citizens live there without paying. Why should we???
The US no longer has the b#@$ to enforce anything.
Do you think anyone who sneaks here will offer to pay their own way?! Not a chance- they can get all sorts of Aid (no they don't need a social security number), they get all the medical care they need (I don't), and then they get a lanscaping/building job for $15-20/hour under the table. They do better than most of us....illegally....and other those of us who do follow the tax laws pay for them.
Yes-I, for one resent everyone of them!
If you come in legally I applaud you!
Learn the language- speak English when in public. Speak whatever when you are behind closed doors.
To me, those of you who sneak here are no better than a drug dealer, a murderer or a big time thief!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration