Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:15 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A WinCo Foods spokesman said Monday that on "several occasions" over the past week immigration agents have detained "a number" of illegal immigrants at the store on Blue Lakes Boulevard North, though the store management was not involved of the action. The supermarket's clientele includes many Hispanics.

But Ben Reed, a personality on the Rupert-based La Fantastica Spanish language radio station, said many Hispanics feel "frustrated" with the store's response.

"It's reflecting the frustration of a lot of people within the Hispanic community that certain businesses have granted - we feel - undue access to (immigration) agents,"
Times-News: Magicvalley.com, Twin Falls, ID (http://www.magicvalley.com/articles/2007/11/14/news/local_state/124642.txt - broken link)

Interesting comment at the bottom of the article:

Quote:
Angie Roland (id:angier1967) wrote on Nov 15, 2007 8:45 AM:

" Since my first response wasn’t posted, I am resending my response with some corrections. I’m not upset because ICE/INS is raiding our local markets, banks and malls. What upsets me is that I am an American and I now have to carry my birth certificate with me because there’s a chance I might run into an ICE/INS agent on mission to deport all who have brown skin. I have to carry my birth certificate to prove who I am when I am asked. Do the ICE/INS agents carry their birth certificates? If this isn’t racial profiling then what is it? Bad luck on my part because my skin is brown?
Should there be any limitations to Raids? Or should Raids be allowed anywhere were Hispanics are sending money via Western Union, shopping, riding the bus...etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 11:19 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
Well as far as the last comment goes and caring their birth certificate, they have the illegals and the people who employ them to thank for that.

ICE can conduct raids where ever they believe illegals frequent. it is called enforcing our laws.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:28 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,509,239 times
I saluate Greyhound for notifying ICE and Twin Falls for cleaning house. Let's clean up Idaho!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:41 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
I do not understand "the problem" here!

If these people are in this country legally, ICE would not be "bothering" them!

Obviously, they are ILLEGALS and need to be dealt with accordingly. Why did they not consider the consequences prior to snubbing their noses at our immigration laws and our Border Patrol Agents?

Old 11-27-2007, 01:08 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Times-News: Magicvalley.com, Twin Falls, ID (http://www.magicvalley.com/articles/2007/11/14/news/local_state/124642.txt - broken link)

Interesting comment at the bottom of the article:

Should there be any limitations to Raids? Or should Raids be allowed anywhere were Hispanics are sending money via Western Union, shopping, riding the bus...etc?
Raids should be allowed to continue anywhere immigration officials think they can find illegals.

The comments Angie Roland made at the end of the article are nothing more than race baiting. A common tactic used by many who support illegal immigration and open borders.

We do in fact have people here illegally from all corners of the globe, and they come in all shapes, sizes and shades, but most people who are here illegally are Hispanic. And by most I mean millions upon millions upon millions. So who should ICE be looking for? Light skinned blond haired people from Iceland?

No, you look for Hispanic people who fit the profile of an illegal alien. Profiling is a legitimate law enforcement tool that has saved countless lives.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Angie Roland:

Deal with it------------I have known several non Hispanic people who looked 'Latino' and they sometime attracted attention from law enforcement.

Heck: 30 years ago 'the Man' used to stop me whether walking or driving due to my resembling a stereotypical drug dealer while still outside of Wash DC. When the cops found out I was 'clean', I was free to go on my way

Aas Hawkeye48 stated: the phrase is probable cause.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:54 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
What a burden, imagine having to carry identification! Everyone, please leave your purses and wallets at home, chuck those cards!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:41 PM

323 posts, read 742,293 times
I wish they'd check out our local Walmart.

I do carry my birth certificate, as well as my sons and daughters. as well as mine and their SS cards. So what does skin color have to do with anything? I'm blonde with death white skin. Does this mean I don't have too? You always carry ID.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:34 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker Fallen Angel View Post
I wish they'd check out our local Walmart.

I do carry my birth certificate, as well as my sons and daughters. as well as mine and their SS cards. So what does skin color have to do with anything? I'm blonde with death white skin. Does this mean I don't have too? You always carry ID.
You're just an identity theft waiting to happen. You carry around social security cards? I certainly hope that they are stapled to your body. I keep my SS card, my birth certificate, and my license (since I am out of state and don't drive a car) in a lockbox and only take them out when I know I'll need them. I know too many common sense challenged people who have had their numbers stolen due to lost or stolen wallets- even in small towns.

As I said in another thread, I've been in an ICE raid with a boyfriend who was Hispanic. He was not carrying his ID as he was just across the street from his apartment accompanying me while I bought something. I am a non-Hispanic American who was on the ground and almost cuffed before they let me show my student ID (which normally isn't a valid ID but I guess since I didn't speak with an accent it was ok ). I look very much like the American stereotypical view of a Latina and speak Spanish near fluently and speak it often in public... after that day, it's been a constant fear that something like that will happen again. And it's incredibly frightening.

ICE raids are some of the most ridiculous things ever. They are very traumatic- especially to children. Working in an immigrant advocacy group, we dealt with several LEGAL IMMIGRANTS who had their doors knocked in at 4AM with ICE officers storming in and grabbing them and their children out of bed. Then- whoops, sorry, didn't realize you were legal. You'd think they'd get their research straight- especially when dealing with people who were already TRAUMATIZED by similar events in Central America during the Civil Wars there (or people who lived through the "Dirty Wars" in Argentina).

There has got to be a better way than raids that cast a wide net and let the trauma rain where it falls. If you were in an ICE raid being 100% legal or, in mine and my boyfriend's case, not really immigrants at all, you wouldn't be too supportive of them either.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:53 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,509,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You're just an identity theft waiting to happen. You carry around social security cards? I certainly hope that they are stapled to your body. I keep my SS card, my birth certificate, and my license (since I am out of state and don't drive a car) in a lockbox and only take them out when I know I'll need them. I know too many common sense challenged people who have had their numbers stolen due to lost or stolen wallets- even in small towns.

As I said in another thread, I've been in an ICE raid with a boyfriend who was Hispanic. He was not carrying his ID as he was just across the street from his apartment accompanying me while I bought something. I am a non-Hispanic American who was on the ground and almost cuffed before they let me show my student ID (which normally isn't a valid ID but I guess since I didn't speak with an accent it was ok ). I look very much like the American stereotypical view of a Latina and speak Spanish near fluently and speak it often in public... after that day, it's been a constant fear that something like that will happen again. And it's incredibly frightening.

ICE raids are some of the most ridiculous things ever. They are very traumatic- especially to children. Working in an immigrant advocacy group, we dealt with several LEGAL IMMIGRANTS who had their doors knocked in at 4AM with ICE officers storming in and grabbing them and their children out of bed. Then- whoops, sorry, didn't realize you were legal. You'd think they'd get their research straight- especially when dealing with people who were already TRAUMATIZED by similar events in Central America during the Civil Wars there (or people who lived through the "Dirty Wars" in Argentina).

There has got to be a better way than raids that cast a wide net and let the trauma rain where it falls. If you were in an ICE raid being 100% legal or, in mine and my boyfriend's case, not really immigrants at all, you wouldn't be too supportive of them either.
What ever it takes. I don't have a problem with ICE doing it's job. Also, it might be wise to memorize social security numbers folks. I know mine and my husbands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration