Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

DELAND, Fla. -- A Catholic monk at a DeLand monastery says he has faith that he will be able to stay with his brothers despite facing deportation in just a few weeks because of an immigration backlog.

"That's our main goal, to be in love with God," Brother Joachim said.

Far from the hustle and bustle of daily life, the Augustinian Monks of the Primitive Observance minister to the world at a monastery in remote DeLand. Joachim is one of two monks, along with a Catholic priest cloistered here, who hope to change lives with the power of prayer.

Monk Seeks Intervention To Avoid Deportation - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando (http://www.wesh.com/news/14724145/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 12:26 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,591 times
Quote:
"That's our main goal, to be in love with God," Brother Joachim said.

If in fact they are telling the truth and their main goal is to be in love with God, then they should have no problem loving him from their home countries.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,069 times
one God, one planet

If God is with him, he shouldn't fear

Old 11-29-2007, 01:04 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,430 times
If he's actually going through the process to become a legal resident, or whatever, it is unfair just because there's a backlog. And, these politicians think that the immigration service will be able to handle all those illegals being given amnesty?? ha,ha

Seriously, I'd rather keep this guy, than to give immunity to drug dealers coming across the border to be used as witnesses against our own border patrol. Let's give this guy immunity instead.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:33 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
If he's actually going through the process to become a legal resident, or whatever, it is unfair just because there's a backlog. And, these politicians think that the immigration service will be able to handle all those illegals being given amnesty?? ha,ha

Seriously, I'd rather keep this guy, than to give immunity to drug dealers coming across the border to be used as witnesses against our own border patrol. Let's give this guy immunity instead.
If he has an application pending and he lodged it properly, he should not be deportable just because his previous visa expired. That's not my opinion; that's how it's supposed to work. There's probably something they're not telling us.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:34 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,442,384 times
I don't care who they are if they are illegal send them home! He needs to be in the countries that the illegals are coming from and helping them to be better people and getting them aid and help if they need it.
I'm with ya God is Everywhere!

Old 11-29-2007, 01:35 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
one God, one planet

If God is with him, he shouldn't fear
One God, one planet, several countries.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:39 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
I have sympathy for people like this that have followed all of the laws and because of bureaucratic backlogs and such are forced to leave. In cases like this, I think things need to be looked over carefully. He's not opposing the law, and he didn't come here illegally as far as I can tell. He has said that he just hopes and prays for divine intervention; there's nothing wrong with that. Heck, I would be doing the same thing.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:41 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I have sympathy for people like this that have followed all of the laws and because of bureaucratic backlogs and such are forced to leave. In cases like this, I think things need to be looked over carefully. He's not opposing the law, and he didn't come here illegally as far as I can tell. He has said that he just hopes and prays for divine intervention; there's nothing wrong with that. Heck, I would be doing the same thing.
It doesn't actually say whether he did or not, and it doesn't give enough details about the case for me to be critical of the US government. I know enough about this process to know that in general, the US government does not deport people while an application for a visa is pending without an extremely good reason...and a "bureaucratic backlog" is not a good enough reason.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:45 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Well, it does say that he is facing deportation because of a backlog, not because he is here illegally. It does say that he is awaiting residency, so I am almost sure he entered the country legally and was just waiting for the appropriate papers. Apparently the backlog is longer than the time he had to wait on his approval, or something like that. I don't know, but it all apears that he is pretty much above-board and I can think of a lot more people that need to be deported rather than someone such as this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration