Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 05:34 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,337,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Thats B.S, anyone can get a degree. Everyone can go to college, JC's charge what. $20 per credit?
I'm talking about the mental capacity

AND, not everyone wants to get a degree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 05:56 PM

902 posts, read 722,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm talking about the mental capacity

AND, not everyone wants to get a degree
But the problem is that anyone can get a degree these days. They have dumbed down the schools so much that idiots are graduating college. They were dumbing down the schools anyway way back when but when affirmative action started they really went into high gear.

Last edited by Ozark-Baby; 12-05-2007 at 06:07 PM..

Old 12-05-2007, 06:05 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,584,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
B ut the problem is that anyone can get a degree these days. They have dumbed down the schools so much that idiots are graduating college. They were dumbing down the schools anyway way back when but when affirmative action started they really went into high gear.
"Dumbing Down" is only part of the problem. Just about every kid takes a turn at being "student of the week", and Mom and Dad get a bumper sticker that reads "My child was STUDENT of the WEEK at (xxx) ELEMENTARY SCHOOL".

But that's just being "inclusive". The BAD part is that now, there are brighter, more colorful, higher-quality bumper stickers which proclaim "MY KID can kick your STUDENT-of-the-WEEK'S A$$".....(and of course, somebody, presumably an adult, BUYS these things)... ah, the "ivy-covered halls of academia".!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:11 PM

902 posts, read 722,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
"Dumbing Down" is only part of the problem. Just about every kid takes a turn at being "student of the week", and Mom and Dad get a bumper sticker that reads "My child was STUDENT of the WEEK at (xxx) ELEMENTARY SCHOOL".

But that's just being "inclusive". The BAD part is that now, there are brighter, more colorful, higher-quality bumper stickers which proclaim "MY KID can kick your STUDENT-of-the-WEEK'S A$$".....(and of course, somebody, presumably an adult, BUYS these things)... ah, the "ivy-covered halls of academia".!
Very true indeed. I am sick of seeing the My son/daughter is an honor roll student at "whatever" school.

Here is what is getting into colleges these days. The girl is 15 and supposed to be oh so intelligent. She sure isn't socially aware at all. I have seen many people who are intelligent as hell, according to some IQ test, but have no common sense. I would rather be around someone that didn't finish high school but has common sense than someone who has all of the secondar and on schooling but has no common sense.

News-Leader.com | Local News

Old 12-05-2007, 07:54 PM

68 posts, read 71,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
There really aren't any jobs Americans don't want. Illegal aliens have just swamped so many entry level jobs they've driven the prevailing wage down so far the jobs no longer pay a living wage. If we got rid of the illegals, the wages would increase back to where they should normally be and Americans would begin to do many of those jobs again.

As far as agricultural jobs go, many farms are now going to automated picking. Even if we did need to utilize a temp worker program for farms we really wouldn't need that many people. Very, very, very few illegal aliens pick crops.
Great point! You hit the nail right on the head!!

Old 12-06-2007, 12:18 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,269,572 times
Quote:
Of course not, they do way more than just that. They are the ones building your house, creating infrastructure, for the most part taking the jobs that pay meagerly.
Really? Construction used to be a good living. I made a fair living doing drywall. That is until the illegals showed up. Willing to work for half.....
Their quality was lacking. I used glue and screws to fasten the sheet rock to the studs. They just used nails. I stood behind my work.. They couldnt be found when it came time for repairs. I had to pay 14% Social security, have contractors insurance, pay workmans comp on my helpers. Them none of the above.
Pro not all people are suited for college. That doesnt mean that we are dumb, second class or unworthy. I cant stand a classroom enviroment. I learn by doing...

Old 12-06-2007, 03:24 PM

185 posts, read 355,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilden Educated View Post
I'm more than happy to answer your question. The jobs that american's don't want to do are busboy, housekeeper, nannies, san joaquin valley produce pickers nad landscapers to mention a few. Working in the hotel industry I see daily how many jobs are available but not filled because americans including myself are too lazy and too picky about how much money and how little we want to do in relationship to what we earn. And yet immigrants come to this country and will pick produce in the san joaquin valley farms in the scorching sun for $7.50 and hour or clean a room in 20 minutes for $7.50 without a mistake. I can go on but I think you get the point, try cleaning a room without an error and I'll call you a smart american but I've never seen anyone except an immigrant clean a room spotless. On top of the hard labor these immigrant women and men go home with physical pains and yet return on time the following day. These are the jobs americans do not want and the jobs I have seen with my own eyes go unfilled. I have interviewed over 250 men and women americans for housekeeping jobs and the first question is can I earn $15.00 an hour rather than get past the interview process. We americans are choosy in our financial endeavors and would rather collect welfare than earn a living like most immigrants who live in fear and in pain.
Do you mean clean like this? We must have a little higher standards.

MyFox Birmingham | I-Team: Dirty Hotel Secrets (http://www.myfoxal.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=2700B8319532AF99604DC7DAAE6CEEAB ?contentId=4838888&version=6&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1 - broken link)

Old 12-06-2007, 04:15 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,963,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Really? Construction used to be a good living. I made a fair living doing drywall. That is until the illegals showed up. Willing to work for half.....
Their quality was lacking. I used glue and screws to fasten the sheet rock to the studs. They just used nails. I stood behind my work.. They couldnt be found when it came time for repairs. I had to pay 14% Social security, have contractors insurance, pay workmans comp on my helpers. Them none of the above.
Pro not all people are suited for college. That doesnt mean that we are dumb, second class or unworthy. I cant stand a classroom enviroment. I learn by doing...
So now your saying Illegals make crappy houses? Ask NewToCa about that. Ever heard the principles of supply and demand? Right now, anyone can get a degree. As people have said, the dumbing down of classes has really help that. But it doesn't really help all that much if you don't learn the material.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,337,965 times
Quote:
So now your saying Illegals make crappy houses? Ask NewToCa about that. Ever heard the principles of supply and demand? Right now, anyone can get a degree. As people have said, the dumbing down of classes has really help that. But it doesn't really help all that much if you don't learn the material.
Not everyone WANTs a degree -

FACT: There are no jobs in the United States that Legal Residents and/or citizens will not fill. NONE

Old 12-06-2007, 04:33 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,963,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Not everyone WANTs a degree -
Who wouldn't want to make more money? Unless your Bill Gates of course who admitted he didn't like being the richest man in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration