Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:27 PM

751 posts, read 1,181,945 times

Advertisements

What I find really hypocritical about some of these unenlightened people obssessed with illegal immigration is the fact that many of them are "devout Christians". Regardless of the situation, the Bible clearly states that "all are equal in dignity before God". Also, from a Christian/religious perspective, the whole concept of a human being being "illegal" is absurd. I wonder if Jesus treated people differently based on their "immigration status". Anyways, it amazing how hypocritical and unenlightened some of these "devout Christians" can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 07:30 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,158,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
What I find really hypocritical about some of these unenlightened people obssessed with illegal immigration is the fact that many of them are "devout Christians". Regardless of the situation, the Bible clearly states that "all are equal in dignity before God". Also, from a Christian/religious perspective, the whole concept of a human being being "illegal" is absurd. I wonder if Jesus treated people differently based on their "immigration status". Anyways, it amazing how hypocritical and unenlightened some of these "devout Christians" can be.
I'm agnostic.

The Bible also said "judge not lest ye be judged."

Old 12-02-2007, 07:31 PM

902 posts, read 720,243 times
The Bible and Jesus also said to render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's and that means that one is supposed to follow man's laws and not break them willy nilly.

It is funny when people try to use religion for their excuse for breaking laws and trashing their country.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:05 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,404,797 times
excellant post Ozark-Baby

Old 12-02-2007, 08:15 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,573,417 times
Quote:
Jesus said a lot of things---and I consider myself a follower of His. But He never mentioned anything about drunk driving, airline hijacking, whether one should or should not use fossil fuels, or cyber-stalking. Nor did He specifically address illegal immigration.

He DID say something about committing adultery, coveting things, taking His father's name in vain, and was EXTREMELY SPECIFIC on his feelings about those who would "lead little children astray". Yet, strangely, our society scarcely mentions these things, except to guarantee our "freedom" to do them. Maybe before we get Jesus involved in the issue of illegal immigration, we'd better be sure we want to hear EVERYTHING He might say about it...just a suggestion.

I think He expects us to use our best judgement in these things. No, I don't think there are any "illegal humans"...but I DO think there are plenty of humans doing illegal acts....all the way from parking in the handicapped zone, to failing to leash your dog, up to rape and murder. Illegal immigration fits into this list somewhere...

Old 12-02-2007, 08:19 PM

751 posts, read 1,181,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Jesus said a lot of things---and I consider myself a follower of his. But he never mentioned anything about drunk driving, airline hijacking, whether one should or should not use fossil fuels, or cyber-stalking. Nor did he specifically address illegal immigration. I think he expects us to use our best judgement in these things.
What I am saying is, if some Jose Gonzales had a family of 5 and was in need of food, I would help him regardless of his "immigration status", I would help him as much as I would help any other human being. What I find ironic is that Oklahoma(yuck!), one of the most religious states(also one of the most ignorant) is the toughest state on illegal immigration. If an illegal came to one of these OK Baptist churches, what would they do? Kick him out? It just does not make any sense.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:26 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,484,809 times
Quote:
What I am saying is, if some Jose Gonzales had a family of 5 and was in need of food, I would help him regardless of his "immigration status", I would help him as much as I would help any other human being. What I find ironic is that Oklahoma(yuck!), one of the most religious states(also one of the most ignorant) is the toughest state on illegal immigration. If an illegal came to one of these OK Baptist churches, what would they do? Kick him out? It just does not make any sense.
I find your comments about Oklahoma offensive. I do not regard OK as an ignorant state, quite the contrary. If you are truly worried about illegal aliens being mistreated in OK, why not invite 7 or 8 of them to live with you up in MN? Look upon it as your Christian duty.

Last edited by andreabeth; 12-02-2007 at 08:39 PM..

Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,573,417 times
Quote:
Never set foot in Oklahoma, so I can only guess. It's true the place doesn't have a reputation for wide-open liberal acceptance. Merle Haggard, born here but of recent "Okie" parents, even sang about how they "Don't let our hair grow long and shaggy, like the hippies out in San Francisco do"....(at least they don't in Muskogee, according to Haggard).

Nevertheless, the state government has "made a stand" which is perfectly within their right to do. I am sure individual church members in Oklahoma will continue to care for people like they always have--but as a 'public entity', the state has elected to take a hard line ("hard" only in comparison with MOST states, which appear to take no line at all)...I wouldn't want to be caugt with a bag of "pot' there, and I wouldn't want to be an illegal there, either. But that's just my impression of the place..

By the way, I don't think there's a law anywhere that I've ever heard of, that forbids you from helping an illegal, and his family, as much as you want. By all means, continue to do so...at your own expense, or through your church. The government, though, may not always be responsible for giving out "goodies" to those not entitled to them. I don't get Military retirement benefits, because I didn't retire from the military. It's possible that someday, illegals will be less eligible for benefits they aren't entitled to, because they aren't citizens....

Old 12-02-2007, 08:45 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,803,546 times
Of course you are right...wasn't Jesus himself a "refugee"...had to sleep in the manger, no crib for a bed and all that...in fact ironically there is a growing trend in Mexico and Central America of rising Evangelicalism, so many of these immigrants are their own Christian brethren.

What you will find though is most people have handy dandy interpretations of the Bible to fit their own preconceived ideas, so they come out all lily white in their own minds. It is very convenient.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:50 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,957,755 times
With all due respect, coming from a confirmed Catholic myself, I say we leave the bible out of this immigration debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration