Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,368,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
COWARD? It's not an argument. It's a significant and poignant question that you're seemingly unwilling to answer.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 in parts, both policy and enforceable law, is intended to protect human beings from unequal treatment based on one's race, color, religion (creed), sex, or national origin. A concept that either predates your mindset or something that your emphatically choose to apply selectively...

Honestly, I haven't read enough of your BigD posts to determine whether my offer to provide you with an opportunity for some thorough, critical, self-examination is a completely futile effort on my part.

Guessing you might say 'well yeah, I see your point. That was a pretty stupid thing to say' or retort with another shameless deflection. Either response would be incredibly honest, so why not just answer the question so we might all be able to infer what the 'D' in BigD stands for...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's right, being a Mormon is a choice, just like being a bigot is a choice.

Regardless of that fact, to assume that all Mormons have exactly the same world view or even understand Mormon doctrine the same way is an inaccurate generalization. Wouldn't you wonder at how illogical it would be for someone to say, "I'd never consider voting for a Lutheran," or "No Methodist will ever get my vote"? I sure would. To say "I'd never vote for a Mormon," is, in fact, implying, "All Mormons are _____" (fill in the blank with the negative adjective of your choice). "All Mormons" are not alike, and to suggest that they are is wrong and it's stupid.
I don't care, at least I'm honest enough to say it. I think Mormonism is a weird cult and I won't vote for its members for public office because quite frankly, I have no respect for people who believe what they believe.

They have a right to their beliefs, but that doesn't require me to vote for them.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,852,356 times
We want more humane border crossings.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,818,376 times
Quote:
That's right, being a Mormon is a choice, just like being a bigot is a choice.

Regardless of that fact, to assume that all Mormons have exactly the same world view or even understand Mormon doctrine the same way is an inaccurate generalization. Wouldn't you wonder at how illogical it would be for someone to say, "I'd never consider voting for a Lutheran," or "No Methodist will ever get my vote"? I sure would. To say "I'd never vote for a Mormon," is, in fact, implying, "All Mormons are _____" (fill in the blank with the negative adjective of your choice). "All Mormons" are not alike, and to suggest that they are is wrong and it's stupid.
Well they must have enough in common to all believe in the same religion. At least practicing Mormons -- by definition they have a set of beliefs.

Do you say the same when it comes to Nazis? They share an ideology but are very likely different from one another in some other ways. Would you vote for a Nazi? Or would you hold their beliefs against them? (I'm not saying I wouldn't vote for a Mormon -- I might, just pointing out that ideology is not race)

Old 03-21-2014, 08:36 PM

28,139 posts, read 30,070,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well they must have enough in common to all believe in the same religion. At least practicing Mormons -- by definition they have a set of beliefs.

Do you say the same when it comes to Nazis? They share an ideology but are very likely different from one another in some other ways. Would you vote for a Nazi? Or would you hold their beliefs against them? (I'm not saying I wouldn't vote for a Mormon -- I might, just pointing out that ideology is not race)
No, I would not vote for a Nazi, and yes, I would hold a Nazi's beliefs againt him. Furthermore, I know that neither ideology nor religion is the same as race. But we're talking politics here. When I cast my vote for a candidate, it's his political ideology that matters to me, not where he goes to church. As a practicing Mormon myself, I wouldn't vote for a candidate just because he was a Mormon, either. (I didn't vote for Romney, for instance; I voted for Obama and would do so again.)

Old 03-21-2014, 08:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,818,376 times
Quote:
No, I would not vote for a Nazi, and yes, I would hold a Nazi's beliefs againt him. Furthermore, I know that neither ideology nor religion is the same as race. But we're talking politics here. When I cast my vote for a candidate, it's his political ideology that matters to me, not where he goes to church. As a practicing Mormon myself, I wouldn't vote for a candidate just because he was a Mormon, either. (I didn't vote for Romney, for instance; I voted for Obama and would do so again.)
Would you vote for someone practicing VooDoo? And back to that Nazi -- would you vote for him if he shared your political beliefs?

Sometimes it's very difficult to separate political beliefs from other ideology.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't care, at least I'm honest enough to say it. I think Mormonism is a weird cult and I won't vote for its members for public office because quite frankly, I have no respect for people who believe what they believe.
Well, I suppose I respect your honesty, but since we're being frank, I can just about guarantee that Mormons probably don't believe 90% of what you think they believe. If you believe they are a "weird cult," you obviously have some pretty strange misconceptions about their theology -- just likea lot of other people. I'll tell you this, though: you could attend a Mormon church every Sunday for a year and chances are very good that by the end of the year, while you wouldn't have come to accept their beliefs, your preconceived notions about them would have changed considerably -- unless you were simply too closed-minded to let that happen.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Well, I suppose I respect your honesty, but since we're being frank, I can just about guarantee that Mormons probably don't believe 90% of what you think they believe. If you believe they are a "weird cult," you obviously have some pretty strange misconceptions about their theology -- just likea lot of other people. I'll tell you this, though: you could attend a Mormon church every Sunday for a year and chances are very good that by the end of the year, while you wouldn't have come to accept their beliefs, your preconceived notions about them would have changed considerably -- unless you were simply too closed-minded to let that happen.
No. We had plenty of them knocking on our doors when I was growing up, and I've read up on their beliefs and practices. I have known and worked with Mormons before. I know they're "normal".

I also would never set foot inside a Mormon house of worship. Ever. That isn't me being narrow-minded; that is me being repelled by their religion.

Would I advocate discriminating against someone simply because they're Mormon? No, of course not. They're entitled to their beliefs and equal treatment under the law. 100%. However, that does not require me to vote for them.

I'm also not sorry that my views on this offend you. I'm not in control of what you find offensive. You are.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Would you vote for someone practicing VooDoo?
Good grief. What kind of a comparison is that?

Quote:
And back to that Nazi -- would you vote for him if he shared your political beliefs?
By very definition, Nazis don't share my political beliefs. Nazis believe in racial hierarchy and social Darwinism. They assert that the superiority of the Aryan race. That is what the Nazi party stands for. If I stood for those things, I'd proably vote for a Nazi, but since all of those things are diametrically opposed to what I believe -- politically -- I wouldn't vote for one. I wouldn't vote for a Communist or for a Tea Party Republican either, because politically, their beliefs are different than mine. I would vote for a moderate Catholic, a moderate Lutheran, a moderate Jew or a moderate Muslim, though.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm also not sorry that my views on this offend you. I'm not in control of what you find offensive. You are.
Of course you're not sorry. Your entire purpose in posting what you did was to offend. And yes, I am in control of what I find offensive. And I do find bigotry of any kind -- be it racial, sexual, religious, or cultural -- offensive. I judge people on an individual basis. That works pretty well for me. If it doesn't for you, okay.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I would vote for a moderate Catholic, a moderate Lutheran, a moderate Jew or a moderate Muslim, though.
As would I. Not a moderate Mormon, though.

I also would not vote for a Jehovah's Witness, a Seventh Day Adventist, a Scientologist, a Christian Scientist, a Moonie, a member of any variety of Indian guru-worshipping cults (you do see those here) or a Satanist. I put Mormons on the same shelf as adherents to those other religions.

FWIW, I also would not vote for an ultra ultra ultra Orthodox Jewish candidate. They're deeply nuts IMHO. Not that any of them would ever run; they're too busy studying Torah, making babies, and not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration