Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:27 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

An illegal border crosser whom officials credit with saving the life of a 9-year-old boy he encountered in the desert on Thanksgiving night has been given a chance — albeit with long odds — to obtain a green card.

Rep. Rául Grijalva, D-Ariz., submitted a private bill Thursday asking Congress to approve a green card for Manuel Jesus Córdova Soberanes, 26, of Magdalena de Kino, Sonora. If approved, it would make Córdova eligible to become a legal permanent resident, and that could eventually lead to citizenship.

Entrant who aided boy gets Grijalva's help | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/border/215359 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 08:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
I will admit despite my strong anti illegal immigrant beliefs; Cordova, if anybody, would qualify for a green card-------he chose to help an injured kid vs. continuing to sneak into the USA. That says something about the man's character IMHO.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:16 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
It's like illegally carrying a weapon and shooting somebody attempting to rape a woman.

Should an illegal act be pardoned in the face of a good and noble deed? I think so.

Quote:
The bill would specifically exclude Córdova's parents and siblings from becoming eligible for green cards if he is granted a green card.
If that were my son, I would do anything to help this man - including sponsor him if necessary.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:09 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
If that were my son, I'd sponsor the guy, definitely. I would be lavishing him with thanks and anything else I could do to help him.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:07 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
This must put me out in LEFT FIELD as I say NO WAY!

A good deed by an CRIMINAL does not change the status of that CRIMINAL. If Raul Grijalva (a Pro-Illegal Democrat) sees the need to aid and/or support Manuel Cordova . . . help him in Mexico financially or aid him in the process to enter this country legally.

Sorry if I sound uncaring but, NO BACK DOOR REWARDS should be considered or granted.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH!

Old 12-09-2007, 10:09 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,479,552 times
IMO, this is how amnesty should be granted- on an individual case basis. This man clearly did the right thing, even though he had to have known that by staying and helping the boy he was giving up any chance he had of successfully sneaking into the US. He stayed with the boy and comforted him, he built a fire for warmth during a cold night, he gave the boy food and gave him his sweater. He should be given a green card.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:26 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
This must put me out in LEFT FIELD as I say NO WAY!

A good deed by an CRIMINAL does not change the status of that CRIMINAL. If Raul Grijalva (a Pro-Illegal Democrat) sees the need to aid and/or support Manuel Cordova . . . help him in Mexico financially or aid him in the process to enter this country legally.

Sorry if I sound uncaring but, NO BACK DOOR REWARDS should be considered or granted.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH!
Trust me; normally we are on the same page line for line......

Just in Cordova's case; he is probably that one illegal out of 50 who I would try to help.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:54 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
I think he should receive a cash reward from private groups who want to thank him for his good deed. He should then take the money back to Mexico, and live well on it.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:08 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
An illegal border crosser whom officials credit with saving the life of a 9-year-old boy he encountered in the desert on Thanksgiving night has been given a chance — albeit with long odds — to obtain a green card.

Rep. Rául Grijalva, D-Ariz., submitted a private bill Thursday asking Congress to approve a green card for Manuel Jesus Córdova Soberanes, 26, of Magdalena de Kino, Sonora. If approved, it would make Córdova eligible to become a legal permanent resident, and that could eventually lead to citizenship.

Entrant who aided boy gets Grijalva's help | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/border/215359 - broken link)
I'd like to think I live in a society with enough decency to make an occasional humanitarian exception to the "norm". As I said, tongue-in-cheek in an earlier post, I'd have no exception at all to a law which stipulated "EVERY illegal alien, if he saves the life of an American child, gets INSTANT citizenship". Believe me, that would have very little effect on the problem of illegals--(unless some of us are afraid ALL the ilegals would be running around just TRYING to do good deeds "on purpose")

For crying out loud. LET THE MAN IN !!! Throw in a new pair of shoes, too !!

Old 12-09-2007, 11:17 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,499 times
The guy did save the boy's life, so I'd say reward him by not throwing him in prison for violating the border. But certainly don't give him a green card. He's already proven he can't be trusted to obey American laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration