Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:08 AM

110 posts, read 175,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If you are referring to most Americans no we are not lazy and complacent.

We have already caught businesses that hired illegals and they have been fined severely. The problem is that it is hard to prove that they "knowingly" hired them because these illegals use some very authentic looking documents when applying for a job. It is the personnel dept. that hires them and sometimes they know they are hiring an illegal alien. E-verify would take care of that. We don't need to hunt them down.

I'm not pessimistic like you. I believe this madness will end at some point.
Oh no? Seems to me like Americans are totally fine having these folks wash their cars, pick their crops, and mow their lawns. I sure don't know anybody born here that wants to spend their time picking blueberries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 03:25 PM

22,515 posts, read 12,065,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell03 View Post
Oh no? Seems to me like Americans are totally fine having these folks wash their cars, pick their crops, and mow their lawns. I sure don't know anybody born here that wants to spend their time picking blueberries.
Well...gee...think about it for a while.

How is an unemployed person who lives in an urban area going to get to the farms? Many don't own a car or the one they have is unreliable. And what about the cost of maintaining and fueling said car? Will they make enough money so that it won't be eaten up by the costs of commuting?

Back when I was in HS, I heard that farmers were looking for people to work the fields. I would have gladly done that work but our family owned just one car which my father needed to get to work. The fields were a good 2 hours---or more--- away.

If you're willing to volunteer your time and drive people to the fields, go right ahead. I'm sure that there is some charity/organization that will gladly take you up on that offer.

I'm not happy about illegals doing any kind of work. We mow our own lawn, clean our own house and raised our own child. If we were to look for someone to mow the lawn, I would gladly pay more for a company that hires American citizens and legal immigrants. In fact, when we need to hire people to do work, we ask them about their workers.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:13 PM

157 posts, read 137,472 times
From what I understand, only a small percentage of illegals are picking crops anyhow. Most of them are doing jobs americans did before they inundated the country. Plus, there are unlimited visas for AG work.

Last edited by majesticat; 11-24-2014 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: Auto correct

Old 11-24-2014, 04:16 PM

22,515 posts, read 12,065,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
From what I understand, only a small percent rage of illegals are picking crops anyhow. Most of them are doing jobs americans did before they inundated the country. Plus, there are unlimited visas for AG work.
^This is all very true!

Old 11-24-2014, 04:26 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,935,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Well...gee...think about it for a while.

How is an unemployed person who lives in an urban area going to get to the farms? Many don't own a car or the one they have is unreliable. And what about the cost of maintaining and fueling said car? Will they make enough money so that it won't be eaten up by the costs of commuting?

Back when I was in HS, I heard that farmers were looking for people to work the fields. I would have gladly done that work but our family owned just one car which my father needed to get to work. The fields were a good 2 hours---or more--- away.

If you're willing to volunteer your time and drive people to the fields, go right ahead. I'm sure that there is some charity/organization that will gladly take you up on that offer.

I'm not happy about illegals doing any kind of work. We mow our own lawn, clean our own house and raised our own child. If we were to look for someone to mow the lawn, I would gladly pay more for a company that hires American citizens and legal immigrants. In fact, when we need to hire people to do work, we ask them about their workers.
Hell; if I was offered 20 an hour to work the fields; my lily white ass would be out there, even if it was 120 degrees out. Tho my being a US citizen; a dirty employer would have to treat me legally or I'd turn him in to the labor board.

Some people say how a head of lettuce would be 10 dollars each with NO illegal alien workers, I don't think so because if my info's right; the illegal farm workers probably make 5 to 8 dollars each an hour now. Too; not all of the cost of our head of lettuce is paid to the farms, the middleman needs his cut to deliver it to the consumer.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:13 PM

63,089 posts, read 29,276,624 times
Quote:
"Some" Americans not the majority. Please don't lump all Americans in with the greedy, law breaking ones that do hire illegal aliens. There is no need for Americans to pick blueberries or any other crops. It's not a career job anyway. There are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign crop pickers but the greedy growers can make more profit off of hiring illegal labor instead and they are breaking the law by doing so. Only 3% of illegal aliens are picking crops and the rest are doing jobs that Americans use to do for a fair wage.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:38 PM

26,033 posts, read 22,225,100 times
Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble but it is the Democrats that are fighting against e-verify.
I tried to get an answer as to why KS doesn't require e-verify for all employers in KS and none answered. Republicans.

Quote:
You'd have to sanction entire states at this point.

There is no way around it: our country is dependent on these guys. We're in too deep.
We are not dependent at all. Most are not involved in farm work anymore and we have plenty of people ready to work.

Quote:
If you are referring to most Americans no we are not lazy and complacent.

We have already caught businesses that hired illegals and they have been fined severely. The problem is that it is hard to prove that they "knowingly" hired them because these illegals use some very authentic looking documents when applying for a job. It is the personnel dept. that hires them and sometimes they know they are hiring an illegal alien. E-verify would take care of that. We don't need to hunt them down.

I'm not pessimistic like you. I believe this madness will end at some point.
The minute e-verify is required of ALL employers, the madness starts to end.

Quote:
Seriously, they are working beside and supervising our US citizens and not pickling blueberries. They were picking blueberries seasonally in MI when I was kid more than 50 years ago. They are now taking jobs away from tradespeople, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
From what I understand, only a small percentage of illegals are picking crops anyhow. Most of them are doing jobs americans did before they inundated the country. Plus, there are unlimited visas for AG work.
Thank you, an updated version of what they are doing in this century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Hell; if I was offered 20 an hour to work the fields; my lily white ass would be out there, even if it was 120 degrees out. Tho my being a US citizen; a dirty employer would have to treat me legally or I'd turn him in to the labor board.

Some people say how a head of lettuce would be 10 dollars each with NO illegal alien workers, I don't think so because if my info's right; the illegal farm workers probably make 5 to 8 dollars each an hour now. Too; not all of the cost of our head of lettuce is paid to the farms, the middleman needs his cut to deliver it to the consumer.
In reality, you are already paying $10 for a head of lettuce if you consider the public assistance, education, etc. that the anchor babies are getting from the presence of their illegal parents at the time of their birth. Also, hospitals have to provide care for the people showing up and on down the line, we all pay for that also not to mention the increase in vehicle insurance if you have them in your area as someone has mentioned they don't have insurance, driver's license, etc. and then the crime, the theft and cost of prosecution for the crimes they permit...................... You can't afford the lettuce picked by illegals either.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:17 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,879,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No one has attempted to enforce the most important part of the illegal alien laws on the books.

Employer sanctions.

Seizure of all business and personal assets, of the owners and CEO's employing the tourists, would send a shockwave.
What business owner would risk everything? Name one!

No tax dollars spent deporting anyone. The Massive self deportation would take care of it all on it's own.
No splitting up families and getting tossed across the border, with just the shirt on your back.

Those that think WE THE PEOPLE are bluffing and do risk it, would be providing revenue to the PEOPLE, for being traitors to the health of this nation.

On a side note. If you are not an American Citizen, you cannot own and run a business on US soil( a way around employer sanctions)

Without employer sanctions that have teeth, WE THE PEOPLE are just feeding the beast.

If it weren't for the fact that both parties are infested with corruption regarding illegals, your idea would work.

For every corrupt idiot we have in the government (Obama, for example), there is a doppelgänger on the other side of the isle.

Perhaps we should focus on POLITICIAN sanctions, instead!

Old 11-26-2014, 08:48 PM

6,268 posts, read 5,085,704 times
Quote:
I have been listening with interest to the conversation re: illegals over the past month especially, and I find it intellectually fascinating that no-one seems to have a problem with deliberately creating and nuturing an entire underclass population in this country. These illegals pick our crops, do our landscaping. Obama in his speech on his EO specifically said "these are the people who work our farms and made our beds". I've heard endless immigrant advocacy reps saying "they are your maids and housekeepers, your gardeners..........

And they ARE. They do all our distasteful jobs. The jobs that we don't want to do. The ones we're too lazy to do. And NOBODY seems to have a problem with the fact that we are relegating and pigeon-holing these people into doing all of the low paying, menial and mundane jobs that Americans will not do.

There's an ethical issue right in the middle of this mess that I have not seen anyone address anywhere.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:44 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,470,548 times
There was a large plant nursery here that was raided by ICE just a few years ago. They found that the majority of the employees were illegals and all were deported.

The liberals were screaming about how dare the government destroy the families and how innocent the poor workers were and how they were doing jobs that "nobody wanted".

Meanwhile, hundreds of local U.S. citizens lined up to get the jobs.

The company decided to bring in a new wave of illegals to fill the jobs instead. I refused to shop there anymore and not too long after that they went out of business (I don't know exactly why).

So why would a company refuse to hire citizens--and why do the liberals so badly want to protect the illegals even when their relatives and neighbors are struggling to find jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration