Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:30 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times

Advertisements

Immigration undoubtedly has many benefits to all wealthy nations. The Economist this week presents a very strong argument in favour of keeping the gates open in Europe and the US.

History has shown that immigration encourages prosperity. Tens of millions of Europeans who made it to the New World in the 19th and 20th centuries improved their lot, just as the near 40m foreign-born are doing in America today. Many migrants return home with new skills, savings, technology and bright ideas. Remittances to poor countries in 2006 were worth at least $260 billion—more, in many countries, than aid and foreign investment combined. Letting in migrants does vastly more good for the world's poor than stuffing any number of notes into Oxfam tins.

Americans object to the presence of around 12m illegal migrant workers in a country with high rates of legal migration. But given the American economy's reliance on them, it is not just futile but also foolish to build taller fences to keep them out. Better for Congress to resume its efforts to bring such workers out of the shadows, by opening more routes for legal, perhaps temporary, migration, and an amnesty for long-standing, law-abiding workers already in the country. Politicians in rich countries should also be honest about, and quicker to raise spending to deal with, the strains that immigrants place on public services.

Full article Global migration | Keep the borders open | Economist.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 08:37 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Immigration undoubtedly has many benefits to all wealthy nations.
No, the borders should not be "open" - at the very least, there are strong National Security issues that need to be dealt with.

However, LEGAL immigration is welcomed. Let those that want to come to this nation do so - legally

OBTW - you hear about the guy from, I believe Egypt, who recently came here (to the US) - he killed his two daughters the other day - didn't like the way they dressed. I think it is called a "honor" killing - something like that.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:41 AM

436 posts, read 810,525 times
Absolutely not to open borders. This Country's legislators have already proven their utmost stupidity when, after 9/11, they did not clamp tight on the borders

Keeping "open borders" only increases the threat to this nation.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:44 AM

751 posts, read 1,179,461 times
I have a background in Economics. Actually, I enjoy reading the Economist, the Wall Street Journal as well as other financial publications. I have read many articles about the actual economical impact of immigration (legal and illegal) including the impact of immigration(legal and illegal) on the GDP per head and indeed, it is an issue that is majorly overblown. Even the most conservative estimates point to the fact that even if there was a short-run net negative fiscal impact because of illegal immigration, it would be about 0.09% of U.S. GDP in that year. Geez, I feel so threatened

Old 01-06-2008, 08:44 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,953 times
It is not just about Economics it is also about what kind of Society we would like to live in.

What would the United States be like with totally open borders - which by the way the Economist, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the neocons, George Bush and pals, the liberal multiculti crowd, Ben Wattenberg and others support - ?

The number of immigrants would probably go from about 2 million (legal and illegal now) to 4 or even 6 million a year. There would be a deluge.

By 2060 the population of the US would be as much as 800 million.

What kind of place would the US be like then. You think traffic is bad now - what do you think it would be like with a billion cars on the road?

There would be no way to asssimilate all those people.

We would become a balkanized mess of humanity.

It would be the end of the United States.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I have a background in Economics. Actually, I enjoy reading the Economist, the Wall Street Journal as well as other financial publications. I have read many articles about the actual economical impact of immigration (legal and illegal) including the impact of immigration(legal and illegal) on the GDP per head and indeed, it is an issue that is majorly overblown. Even the most conservative estimates point to the fact that even if there was a short-run net negative fiscal impact because of illegal immigration, it would be about 0.09% of U.S. GDP in that year. Geez, I feel so threatened
Gee - you must not be a taxpayer then -

I guess the additional 5 billion dollar burden on California taxpayers is no big deal to you.

I guess the additional 1+ Billion dollar burden on Arizona taxpayers is no big deal to you

Get real! You have no clue - NONE about the real world - and, it is very obvious -

Old 01-06-2008, 08:49 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
History has shown that immigration encourages prosperity. Tens of millions of Europeans who made it to the New World in the 19th and 20th centuries improved their lot, just as the near 40m foreign-born are doing in America today. Many migrants return home with new skills, savings, technology and bright ideas. Remittances to poor countries in 2006 were worth at least $260 billion—more, in many countries, than aid and foreign investment combined. Letting in migrants does vastly more good for the world's poor than stuffing any number of notes into Oxfam tins.
We’ve given them the skills, now it’s time for them to go home and use them in their country.

With all the middle easterners that have invaded your country, maybe you should concentrate on your countries problems instead of meddling in ours.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:50 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,882,428 times
This isnt history this is now. When the American people trusted corporate America to lead us into the World market it had to come with some consessions. While there isnt much we can do now about NAFTA, CAFTA and all the crappy trade deals we have with other countries we can enforce the laws that keep them from flooding our markets with cheap labor. And I dont just mean agriculture, H1Bs, construction the trades many blue and white collar jobs that Americans depend on to raise families are being done by slaves and driving down wages.

Its all over, theres nothing left for labor to give, we fight back now

the pendulum swings

Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Sure, open borders "benefit" a nation if your only qualification for "benefit" to a nation is an increasing GDP, or rising profits for corporations.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:01 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
It is not just about Economics it is also about what kind of Society we would like to live in.

What would the United States be like with totally open borders - which by the way the Economist, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the neocons, George Bush and pals, the liberal multiculti crowd, Ben Wattenberg and others support - ?

The number of immigrants would probably go from about 2 million (legal and illegal now) to 4 or even 6 million a year. There would be a deluge.

By 2060 the population of the US would be as much as 800 million.

What kind of place would the US be like then. You think traffic is bad now - what do you think it would be like with a billion cars on the road?

There would be no way to asssimilate all those people.

We would become a balkanized mess of humanity.

It would be the end of the United States.

None of this EVER enters serious debate about illegal immigration.

Opposition is ALWAYS "racism."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration