Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 02:22 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,127,767 times

Advertisements

I worked in an office that was an Employee Benefit Office for a Union. My boss hired a girl from the Ukraine, who was here on a work Visa. He hired her as a favor to a business associate.

She lied on her resume regarding her so called skills. She supposedly had a college degree at 19, yet she didn't know how to count change currency and said she had been in the US since age 13.

She was very arrogant to the seven of us office workers. She was down right rude to the Union workers and their spouses when they would call or come into the office. We had union members that refused to deal with her. Everyone complained about her and nothing was ever done. She treated many Americans like they were garbage beneath her feet.

It came time for her work Visa to expire and become a US citizen. My boss paid Union attorneys to consult on this matter. She got to stay in the US because my boss lied and said she was doing a job that an American couldn't do, which was total BS.

I loved the job, but it was a toxic environment for most of us because of her and the head of the Union's daughter that made going to work feel like going to grade school.

I quit 2 years ago and I did call immigration and make a complaint about it. The guys/women who work for that labor union would FREAK if they knew their union dues helped pay to keep that witch here. Government papers were fudged to keep her here. I wonder what the numbers are for situations like this.

My brother has a PHD and he said what happened at my workplace also happens within our government and large corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 06:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,208,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Ummmm...What? It's clear that you did not click on the link in the first post which references a CIS study. If that study is not good enough for you, feel free to email CIS and ask them about their methodology.

Now, I'm done with you.
Your link doesn't support that there is a link between legal immigration and job shortages. Neither does the study. Perhaps you should actually read them.

It's easy to be done with someone rather than provide evidence of your assertions. I see you took the easy way out. It would have been more useful to the discussion is you supported your unfounded statements.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:21 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,607,875 times
It doesn't take a genius to figure out there is an impact. According to the adminstration, we added roughly 2.5 million jobs in 2014. If you take out the jobs that would have been higher skilled (not typically the ones illegal immigrants fill) then you get a much smaller number. If you increase the pool of people competing for those jobs, and willing to work for less, by hundreds of thousands, then it's going to have an impact on the number of American citizens unemployed and keep wages down. The only way it wouldn't would be if these hundreds of thousands weren't really coming over seeking work, which would be worse.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:32 AM

63,123 posts, read 29,304,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It doesn't take a genius to figure out there is an impact. According to the adminstration, we added roughly 2.5 million jobs in 2014. If you take out the jobs that would have been higher skilled (not typically the ones illegal immigrants fill) then you get a much smaller number. If you increase the pool of people competing for those jobs, and willing to work for less, by hundreds of thousands, then it's going to have an impact on the number of American citizens unemployed and keep wages down. The only way it wouldn't would be if these hundreds of thousands weren't really coming over seeking work, which would be worse.
No truer words were spoken. It will go right over the heads of liberal bleeding hearts and ethnocentrics though because their agenda trumps the needs of the American worker.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:41 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,607,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No truer words were spoken. It will go right over the heads of liberal bleeding hearts and ethnocentrics though because their agenda trumps the needs of the American worker.
Indeed. An understanding of how things work will be ignored because I didn't include a link.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:05 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,361,132 times
Quote:
Quote:
Indeed. An understanding of how things work will be ignored because I didn't include a link.
When you assess entity relationships, it's obvious that everything is linked. You can link daylight savings time to job shortages. You can link the increase in drilling to job shortages for Citizens. You can link Guns to job shortages for Americans. The question is whether there is a meaningful link. By meaningful, one typically means significant enough to have an impact that is measurable enough to influence other variables.

When the OP says something like "Job shortages linked to legal... immigrants"... yes, it probably is just like job shortages are linked to burning coal. The reality is when you discuss influence like this, you have to compare it to the influence of all variables involved. Otherwise, it's clear that you don't have even the most basic understanding of statistics and what it means to say there is a "link". The OP's statements are clearly baseless and unfounded.

Now with illegal immigrants, it's a different story. There is statistically significant evidence.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:01 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,664,350 times
Quote:
Two Immigrants For Every New Job Since 2000 | The Daily Caller

From the article:

The United States has accepted two new immigrants for each additional job created since 2000, according to federal data.

The data shows that 18 million legal and illegal immigrants settled in the United States from 2000 to 2015, while only 9.3 million additional jobs were created, according to the Center for Immigration Studies, which favors a reduced level of immigration.

----------------------------
And to add to this, we currently have 8 million no-match SSNs in the work force due in very large part to illegal immigration.
Illegal immigrants have long been needed in our capitalist society.

Illegal immigrants pick our fruits and vegetables (and without them our food prices would GREATLY rise.)
US Farmers Depend on Illegal Immigrants

And illegal immigrants do many other jobs Americans just won't do.

There is a (much) bigger problem in regards to American jobs. Our large corporations are moving high paying US jobs to Asia to get cheaper labor. And this is destroying our "job base."

Our children don't want to grow up to pick crops, wash dishes in failing restaurants, or spray dangerous pesticides (thats what illegal immigrants do.)

Our children want high paying jobs making computers, making cars, being engineers, fixing airplanes, ex.ex. and the high paying jobs our children desire are being moved to Asia. Illegal immigrants have been working in America for 100's of years and we did pretty well (but our best jobs being moved to Asia is something different.)

Old 03-21-2015, 12:11 AM

22,527 posts, read 12,078,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Illegal immigrants have long been needed in our capitalist society.

Illegal immigrants pick our fruits and vegetables (and without them our food prices would GREATLY rise.)

And illegal immigrants do many other jobs Americans just won't do.

There is a (much) bigger problem in regards to American jobs. Our large corporations are moving high paying US jobs to Asia to get cheaper labor. And this is destroying our "job base."

Our children don't want to grow up to pick crops, wash dishes in failing restaurants, or spray dangerous pesticides (thats what illegal immigrants do.)

Our children want high paying jobs making computers, making cars, being engineers, fixing airplanes, ex.ex. and the high paying jobs our children desire are being moved to Asia. Illegal immigrants have been working in America for 100's of years and we did pretty well (but our best jobs being moved to Asia is something different.)
Nope. We don't need illegals. Never did. Never will.

All those jobs you mention, Americans have done them in the past and still do them today. Illegals have depressed the wages and displaced unskilled Americans from many of those jobs.

As for picking crops, there is an agricultural visa available to farmers that has no caps on it. However, sleazy farmers refuse to use it and instead opt for cheap, exploitable, illegal labor.

As for better jobs---The H1-B visa program needs to abolished as it is riddled with fraud and corruption.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:36 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,664,350 times
Quote:
Nope. We don't need illegals. Never did. Never will.

All those jobs you mention, Americans have done them in the past and still do them today. Illegals have depressed the wages and displaced unskilled Americans from many of those jobs.

As for picking crops, there is an agricultural visa available to farmers that has no caps on it. However, sleazy farmers refuse to use it and instead opt for cheap, exploitable, illegal labor.

As for better jobs---The H1-B visa program needs to abolished as it is riddled with fraud and corruption.
"When the United Farm Workers union launched a campaign offering to connect unemployed people to farm jobs, only three people accepted -- out of thousands of inquiries."

I have an orange tree in my backyard. And after you pick oranges for 5 minutes you say "f. this s--t."

Old 03-21-2015, 01:42 AM

22,527 posts, read 12,078,234 times
Well...think about this --- farms are in rural areas. Many unemployed people live in urban and suburban areas. How is someone who is out of work and doesn't have reliable transportation going to get to the farms? Even if they did have reliable transportation, most of their salary would be eaten up by gas and maintenance of the car.

Back when I was in HS, local coffee bean growers needed people to pick the beans during the summer. I would have gladly done so but the farms were a good 2-3 hours away. Our family had one car for 5 people and there was no public transportation to the farms.

Also, most Americans aren't looking for seasonal jobs. They want to work year round. Are you willing to volunteer your car and your time transporting people to the farms?

As I pointed out, farmers have an agricultural visa that they can use which has no caps on it. There is no excuse what so ever for them to hire illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration