Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 07:40 PM

601 posts, read 595,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What advantages are there for this country to allow this nonsense to continue?
For politicians, not seeming like a racist a**hole or conversely, seeming compassionate and worldly. Getting to tout "diversity" which is just code for crappy and run down in many locales. For citizens and business owners....cost. Cheap labor, Cheap services. There is hardly an area of this country that is not inhabited by recent immigrants, both legal and illegal.

I'm watching very closely to see what happens with this Texas judge. Surely millions of border hoppers have gone through Texas at this point, after 40+ years of unfettered illegal immigration. And doesn't Texas offer in-state tuition to its universities to illegal immigrants? Rick Perry has ardently defended this.

Rick Perry: Those Against In-State Tuition for Illegal Aliens Don't 'Have A Heart' | CNS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 08:43 PM

63,415 posts, read 29,437,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Because at this point it would require a constitutional amendment, of which there is a 0% chance.
No, it wouldn't. There is nothing in the Constitution that's states that children of illegal aliens get birthright citizenship. The 14 Amendment was clear that they don't. All it would take is for the Supreme Court to re-visit the intentions of the writers of it and they could re-interpret it the way it was meant to be.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:31 PM

22,571 posts, read 12,137,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The President is right and this will be won in the courts. Conservatives can obstruct, but they can't win, as their free fall continues. Texas judge soiled himself and stinks with this ruling.

Thanks too to the idiot judge for delivering to the Dems, the 2016 votes of immigrants and Latinos with his ridiculous partisan ruling.
We all know that you idolize Obama

So, it's okay when your idol obstructs and bypasses congress?

I say bravo for the judge!

Old 02-18-2015, 09:52 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,025,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Because it would require a CHANGE IN THE U.S. CONSTITUTION. Do you have ANY idea how hard that is to accomplish - especially on such a controversial issue? You'd need to get passage by 2/3rds of BOTH the House AND Senate THEN approval by the legislatures of 3/4's of the STATES (that's 38 of them). There is NO WAY IN HELL Blue states would go along with removing birthright citizenship. There is ZERO CHANCE OF THAT HAPPENING.

Ken
What the people on here refuse to accept, their complaints are going to go the way of the wind. They can complain all they want, but nothing is going to get changed. You can't amend the 14th Amendment, it'll NEVER get enough states to vote for it for one, and the Republicans don't even have a 2/3 majority in the Senate. It'll get blocked there as well. Wishing for one of the circuit courts to "revisit the 14th Amendment" is also wishful thinking. If it were that easy, it would have been tried back in the 80s .

The only real solution would be to do what Spain has, EVERY citizen has a photo ID with their Social Security number printed on it and you can't make large purchases without that ID and logged with the government. Of course that was proposed, but shot down by the right-wing for being too much like 1984 or the Left Behind movies.

No practical, real solutions. Just idealism that won't make it to reality.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:27 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,867,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, of course he disagrees, he's an outlaw president, with no regard for the law or the Constitution.

Judge Andrew Napolitano said he expects the 5th circuit will uphold the ruling. That will mean Obama's amnesty is dead. I think this is a good thing, because it means Congress does not have to waste time fighting that battle.
I sure hope so. I am so sick and tired of illegal aliens getting rewarded when there are hundreds of thousands of Americans- if not millions- still struggling economically.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:37 AM

20,523 posts, read 15,960,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The President is right and this will be won in the courts. Conservatives can obstruct, but they can't win, as their free fall continues. Texas judge soiled himself and stinks with this ruling.

Thanks too to the idiot judge for delivering to the Dems, the 2016 votes of immigrants and Latinos with his ridiculous partisan ruling.
Free fall? 1 side lost their butts last November and it wasn't the conservatives.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:39 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,231,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
especially since his wife is Mexican!
Much as I dislike her husband, Columba Bush is a class act and likes to keep a low profile. I can't imagine how she must feel knowing she is about to be examined under the international microscope. Years ago she was hounded in Florida for bringing in some purchases she made while abroad and neglecting to pay sufficient duty. It was a disgusting display of the baying hounds of the media. Compare that to the former first lady of Virginia who is about to be sentenced for corruption.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:40 AM

63,415 posts, read 29,437,443 times
Votes of immigrants? Immigrants can't vote. Why would not enforcing our immigration laws deliver votes to the Dems from Latinos? I know I won't get an answer on that one though.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:30 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,410,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Votes of immigrants? Immigrants can't vote. Why would not enforcing our immigration laws deliver votes to the Dems from Latinos? I know I won't get an answer on that one though.
Even AMERICAN Hispanics tend to favor opening the doors for more Hispanics to enter America. Those who favor clamping down on immigration (either legal or illegal) just don't get the Hispanic vote.
It's not that complicated.

Ken

Old 02-19-2015, 07:44 AM

601 posts, read 595,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Even AMERICAN Hispanics tend to favor opening the doors for more Hispanics to enter America. Those who favor clamping down on immigration (either legal or illegal) just don't get the Hispanic vote.
It's not that complicated.

Ken
Yup. This. Hispanics are already the biggest "minority" group.

The US population will potentially increase to 438 million by 2050. Too bad I probably won't be dead by then. My town will be as packed as Mumbai in short order.

U.S. Population Projections: 2005-2050 | Pew Research Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration