Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 03:00 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,876,297 times

Advertisements

I was not responding to any of your threads when I originally wrote round up as the procedure. Federal judge already ruled they cannot be denied the benefits as in education or welfare. Those here already have work.

So you have two obstacles- policing employers and overcoming a Federal Court decision.

Even Eisenhower's Wet Back operation was a roundup by flooding the region with Federal agents who aggressively confirmed legal status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 04:17 PM

63,299 posts, read 29,383,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I was not responding to any of your threads when I originally wrote round up as the procedure. Federal judge already ruled they cannot be denied the benefits as in education or welfare. Those here already have work.

So you have two obstacles- policing employers and overcoming a Federal Court decision.

Even Eisenhower's Wet Back operation was a roundup by flooding the region with Federal agents who aggressively confirmed legal status.
Actually, they aren't lawfully entitled to any welfare but of course we know there is some fraud involved. So no Federal judged ruled them eligible for it. They are as I said able to get welfare benefits thru their U.S. born kids however. Not all of them are working either. I don't see mandating e-verify as being an obstacle. It was already in the Senate bill but it wouldn't have gone into affect for 5 years (go figure) and it would not have required those already on a payroll to pass it (another go figure).

I think we all know about Eisenhower's "round up" but as I have stated for the third time that isn't what is being pushed by either party today. The pro-illegals constantly claim that is what we conservatives are pushing for and it's simply not true. Self-deportation makes a lot more sense.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:13 PM

http://www.ncsl.org/research/educati...-overview.aspx

Wishful thinking to believe they will leave on their own. They are here to wait for an adminstraton to make them legal ala Reagan.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Wishful thinking to believe they will leave on their own. They are here to wait for an adminstraton to make them legal ala Reagan.
If they have no means to support themselves are they willing to starve while waiting? They've been waiting for years now and all they've gotten is a temporary stay of deportation and I believe the Circuit Court will uphold the recent Texas ruling that will put a stop to that.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,951,799 times
Quote:

IMHO that ain't gonna happen; people are now too pissed of and aware of the illegal alien problem in 2015.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:00 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,046,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
IMHO that ain't gonna happen; people are now too pissed of and aware of the illegal alien problem in 2015.
Yep, we just had an acclaimed Mexican director mention it at the Academy Awards. Left wing media exaggerated it by saying that it was a "pro- comp immigration reform" speech.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:36 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,765,787 times
Quote:

I've known a few illegals. Most that I have spoken to about their life plans, talk about going back to their home country after they save enough money to open up a restaurant or another business. I was also in Mexico and talked to a friend of a friend about how he left Arizona due to the less friendly environment. Lots of these illegals aren't here because they have to be, but because they make more money here. I also talked to a cab driver in Mexico. He used to work in the US at KFC illegally, but went back to Mexico because he felt that there was too much drug use amongst kids in the US and didn't want his kids exposed to drugs. So based on real life first hand stories, yes, Illegals will go home if that's the best choice for them.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:57 AM

I have equally opposite stories. Because they are illegal and wish to remain and be legal no matter what their long term plans are.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:06 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,765,787 times
Quote:
I have equally opposite stories. Because they are illegal and wish to remain and be legal no matter what their long term plans are.
Of course more people would want to stay indefinitely if they could become legal residents. Rewarding illegal entry to the US with legal status is the ultimate magnet for illegal immigration. Likely some of the people who already plan on leaving someday, would change their minds if they were rewarded for staying by being given legal status.

A practical way to lower the number of illgal aliens is to remove incentives for breaking the law by making it more difficult to be employed. There isn't a perfect solution, where every illegal alien will leave on their own, but there are changes that could be made that would make the problem better.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Of course more people would want to stay indefinitely if they could become legal residents. Rewarding illegal entry to the US with legal status is the ultimate magnet for illegal immigration. Likely some of the people who already plan on leaving someday, would change their minds if they were rewarded for staying by being given legal status.

A practical way to lower the number of illgal aliens is to remove incentives for breaking the law by making it more difficult to be employed. There isn't a perfect solution, where every illegal alien will leave on their own, but there are changes that could be made that would make the problem better.
I agree. Go after the employers by mandating e-verify. If we include denying them any benefits and birthright citizenship it would a long ways in many of them leaving and fewer new illegal entries. Currently all there is encouragement by this administration by stays of deportation with work permits and promises of a permanent amnesty later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration