Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 09:37 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,140,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Ah - you might be surprised

And, there are certain professions where Latin, and French are needed
Which ones?? Spanish and English are the most spoken languages in this hemisphere. Not to mention in the U.S.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Which ones?? Spanish and English are the most spoken languages in this hemisphere. Not to mention in the U.S.
The legal profession is heavy in Latin and French terms - also mix in a little Greek

Old 04-14-2008, 09:41 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,598,851 times
F*ire tr*UCK Spanish!!! Why should any American be FORCED to learn a language not native to this country?? I don't want to learn ANY foreign language and there should be NO REASON for me to have to. You ethno-centric illegal lovers will be the death of me with your totally off-the-wall statements about this crap. Why don't you climb down off of your high horse long enough to realize that THIS NATION SPEAKS ENGLISH!!

If you want to speak Spanish on a daily basis, MOVE SOUTH!!! WAAAAAAAAY SOUTH!!!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Why should any American be FORCED to learn a language not native to this country?? I don't want to learn ANY foreign language and there should be NO REASON for me to have to.
I am not one to suggest that anyone be "forced" to learn another language. I would, and do, however encourage people to consider learning another language - albeit not necessarily Spanish. Many choose to French, German, Italian, Russian, Japanese and so on.

Many desire to learn another language to broaden their minds. To assist them if they plan to travel extensively. Or perhaps an employment opportunity.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
F*ire tr*UCK Spanish!!! Why should any American be FORCED to learn a language not native to this country?? I don't want to learn ANY foreign language and there should be NO REASON for me to have to. You ethno-centric illegal lovers will be the death of me with your totally off-the-wall statements about this crap. Why don't you climb down off of your high horse long enough to realize that THIS NATION SPEAKS ENGLISH!!

If you want to speak Spanish on a daily basis, MOVE SOUTH!!! WAAAAAAAAY SOUTH!!!!!

If you want to get down to a native language.. the languages of the indians were used. No one is forcing you to learn Spanish, work places always hire bi-lingual speakers no matter what language it is over people who only speak one language. What does Spanish have to do with illegal-loving? seriously, you've lost your point.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
If you want to get down to a native language.. the languages of the indians were used. No one is forcing you to learn Spanish, work places always hire bi-lingual speakers no matter what language it is over people who only speak one language. What does Spanish have to do with illegal-loving? seriously, you've lost your point.
For the last 200+ years this nation has done it's business IN ENGLISH. Now with all this 'diversity' crap Spanish is being promoted as 'THE' language to learn. I'm so fed up with the garbage that I REFUSE to speak it even though I'm rudimentarily able to.

This is the United States of AMERICA, SPEAK ENGLISH!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
For the last 200+ years this nation has done it's business IN ENGLISH. Now with all this 'diversity' crap Spanish is being promoted as 'THE' language to learn. I'm so fed up with the garbage that I REFUSE to speak it even though I'm rudimentarily able to.

Spanish has been spoken on this American soil for as long as English has. Since before California and all those other southern states became part of the U.S. Why the hell do you think all these Californian cities and towns have Spanish names?! San FRANCISCO? LOS ANGELES? SAN JOSE?????

Old 04-14-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:

The one problem I see with your argument, a valid one IMO, is that in todays world business is often done on an international basis. I can be on a web cam with a client, 9000 miles away, and basic courtesy is for me to be able to say certain words / phrases in my clients language.

Also, different english language countries have different meanings for the same works. It is good for me to know those differences.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:05 PM

I would of been much more glad if German was also instated as a de facto language. Then I would know THREE languages.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Spanish has been spoken on this American soil for as long as English has. Since before California and all those other southern states became part of the U.S. Why the hell do you think all these Californian cities and towns have Spanish names?! San FRANCISCO? LOS ANGELES? SAN JOSE?????
What's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration