Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,898,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
then I guess you never heard of the mexican illegal who sold her baby to buy car!
Many of them give birth here just for what they expect to get out of their babies. Many of them aren't here to work hard and support their kids themselves, they have them to get the food stamps and other handouts.

That's why when there are any deportations, we get the sorrowful stories of children being left behind in this country by parents who no longer have any use for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 09:56 AM

635 posts, read 1,750,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
If I've learned something from George Lopez its that Mexicans don't go to the hospital for two reasons. One, they will find something wrong with them. Two, they'll get charged.
Great joke!!!! ONE UP REPUTATION!!!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:06 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,237,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Great joke!!!! ONE UP REPUTATION!!!
Unfortunately; I doubt that PL was joking

Old 01-26-2008, 12:42 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,966,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I believe all of George Lopez' comedy is based on truth. Why? Because I have done almost everything he's said and have witnessed a lot of Mexican behavior throughout my life. I have uncles who don't go to the hospital simply because they are too "Macho" to go. I had an uncle who died on an airplane of cancer because he refused to go to the doctor. His comedy is a way to laugh at ourselves at the serious and the stupid things we do.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:49 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,237,130 times
Quote:
I believe all of George Lopez' comedy is based on truth. Why? Because I have done almost everything he's said and have witnessed a lot of Mexican behavior throughout my life. I have uncles who don't go to the hospital simply because they are too "Macho" to go. I had an uncle who died on an airplane of cancer because he refused to go to the doctor. His comedy is a way to laugh at ourselves at the serious and the stupid things we do.
That I believe line for line.

Trust me: it is not just a 'Mexican' thing to poke at one's own cultural foibles either

The famous 'Borscht' Jewish humor to a gentile sounds downright anti Semitic------think Borat. What finally blew the 'anti Semitism' in Borat was that the lead charactor was speaking in Hebrew.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Certainly no one who has seen a hospital emergency room in the USA lately would believe what George Lopez said was true. It's become simply incredible how willing people from Mexico are about getting medical care here.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:46 PM

11,887 posts, read 37,011,265 times
Quote:
Off topic, but Lopez is one of the funniest comedians out there.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Off topic, but Lopez is one of the funniest comedians out there.
I think what actually makes Lopez funny -- and others like him funny is that their humor actually crosses cultural lines. What might be funny about that joke is that all of us can relate to not wanting to go to a doctor because of those two reasons -- if not our ownselves then someone we know well.

Humor that is really cultural isn't funny to those outside the culture.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:01 PM

Still off topic -- a guy from China explained that to me. He said he knew Johnny Carson was supposed to be funny -- but even though he himself had a good sense of humor, he could never "get" the jokes.

He explained that it was because the humor was American culture -- for example when Carson imitated a British accent -- that would be funny to Americans but not necessarily to other people because they don't have the same cultural attitude that Americans have. He pointed out that so much of humor on shows like that depend on having the cultural background to understand the humor. Only some comedians can transcend culture and be funny to many.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:13 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,966,867 times
Even more off-topic-- I find it that comedians with a multi-cultural background have more to give than just regular comedians you see on comedy central. Those comedians just talk about random every day life stuff. Don't get me wrong, some are hilarious but what gets me is the background that these multi-cultural comedians give and their reflections about them growing up in America. We have to laugh at ourselves some time or another, I think its really healthy. It helps us to develop a sense of where we come from and helps us discover who we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration