Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 05:25 PM

24,598 posts, read 17,350,035 times

Advertisements

I was listening to the Howie Carr show this afternoon, the somewhat local to Mass. talk show, and he had the mayor of Lewiston Maine on and they were talking about illegal aliens. Howie asked why are there so many illegal aliens moving to Maine from warmer climates and the reason is the handouts. They are moving to Lewiston because Portland is over flowing. The thing that really got me going was the mayor said that 40% of the towns welfare program goes to illegal aliens!!! 40% that is crazy. When is this madness going to end?

It is illegal to be in this country without the proper papers so how do all these illegals get on the welfare ?

The mayor said that there are other people in power that feel we have a moral obligation to these illegal people. Madness I say.

What is going to happen when the free money provided by the tax payers runs out? How can this continue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 05:38 PM

26,033 posts, read 22,230,983 times
I hadn't heard of him before, I don't think. Some pretty interesting stuff on his website: The Howie Carr Show and I liked this article: https://howiecarrshow.com/pesky-fact...t-on-illegals/

Some get the welfare through their "anchors": Most Illegal Immigrant Families Collect Welfare - Judicial Watch

And, Welfare Use by Immigrant and Native Households | Center for Immigration Studies

And, of course, they steal identities of American citizens and you or I could be the next ones they do it to! Illegal, but Not Undocumented | Center for Immigration Studies

You have to keep in mind that that they break the law when they enter without authorization and to stay here, they have to keep breaking the laws and, from what I have encountered, they don't believe the laws apply to them although they do believe they should have full rights of the citizens.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:51 PM

22,515 posts, read 12,068,835 times
Even worse, they could be using a fake SSN and that fake SSN could belong to you. The law says it's okay to use another person's SSN as long as they don't use your name with it. Even worse, should it happen to you the SSA won't tell you. You only find out when the IRS comes after you for not filing a tax return on a job you never worked. About 10 years ago, a stay at home mom in CA discovered that 218 illegals were using her SSN. She only found out when the IRS told her she owed $1 million in taxes! It's despicable that no politicians on either side of the aisle have even attempted to close that loophole. Sadly, I don't think it will be closed until what happened to the woman in CA happens to a few politicians.

Being from MA, I do remember Howie Carr.

As for Lewiston, ME --- they also ended up with lots of Somali refugees. I once talked to a woman from Lewiston and she told me that the residents are not happy about being inundated with these refugees.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:26 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,495,294 times
Why am I not surprised

Old 09-29-2015, 05:06 AM

6,404 posts, read 6,303,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I was listening to the Howie Carr show this afternoon, the somewhat local to Mass. talk show, and he had the mayor of Lewiston Maine on and they were talking about illegal aliens. Howie asked why are there so many illegal aliens moving to Maine from warmer climates and the reason is the handouts. They are moving to Lewiston because Portland is over flowing. The thing that really got me going was the mayor said that 40% of the towns welfare program goes to illegal aliens!!! 40% that is crazy. When is this madness going to end?

It is illegal to be in this country without the proper papers so how do all these illegals get on the welfare ?

The mayor said that there are other people in power that feel we have a moral obligation to these illegal people. Madness I say.

What is going to happen when the free money provided by the tax payers runs out? How can this continue?
I would like to see some data on this. Without it, i can not believe this mayor's statistics.

Mass and RI have much better benefits in terms of health insurance and food stamps (which is all "welfare" amounts to since they are not eligible for SSI.)

I mean, if you are moving from "warmer climates" why skip over places like New Bedford and Fall River Mass (although i know the Brazillians have the monopoly there) or South Providence for MAINE??

The first few posts i read on his page made me think he has gone total RWNJ. At least this one brought me back to convince me of his semi-moderate stance. And the Market Basket Ads!

https://howiecarrshow.com/only-small...anned-in-mass/

Old 09-29-2015, 04:11 PM

6,245 posts, read 3,627,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I would like to see some data on this. Without it, i can not believe this mayor's statistics.

Mass and RI have much better benefits in terms of health insurance and food stamps (which is all "welfare" amounts to since they are not eligible for SSI.)

I mean, if you are moving from "warmer climates" why skip over places like New Bedford and Fall River Mass (although i know the Brazillians have the monopoly there) or South Providence for MAINE??

The first few posts i read on his page made me think he has gone total RWNJ. At least this one brought me back to convince me of his semi-moderate stance. And the Market Basket Ads!

https://howiecarrshow.com/only-small...anned-in-mass/
The people do not choose where to settle in the United States--our federal government places them in these areas. They have put the East African Somalis and Vietnamese/Laotian Hmong in frigid Minneapolis. They also send Hmong to small towns in Wisconsin and North Carolina.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:24 PM

26,033 posts, read 22,230,983 times
Maybe it has to do with "ease" of getting benefits. Some are "softer" than others. I have seen it.

And, they get more benefits than people think: The Term "Anchor Baby": An Explanation and Example - by Mariyam - Newsvine

An article specific to the area being discussed by OP: http://www.pressherald.com/2014/06/1...eates-turmoil/ and another: https://refugeeresettlementwatch.wor...ewiston-maine/ and http://toprightnews.com/maine-just-p...happened-next/ and http://www.sullivan-county.com/racism/maine_housing.htm And, I am sure happy that I don't live there!

Old 09-30-2015, 07:15 AM

24,598 posts, read 17,350,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Maybe it has to do with "ease" of getting benefits. Some are "softer" than others. I have seen it.

And, they get more benefits than people think: The Term "Anchor Baby": An Explanation and Example - by Mariyam - Newsvine

An article specific to the area being discussed by OP: Cutoff of Maine funds for 'illegals' creates turmoil - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram and another: https://refugeeresettlementwatch.wor...ewiston-maine/ and Maine Just Put Welfare Leeches In Their Place, Every American Needs To See What Happened Next | Top Right News and White Families Barred from Public Housing in Maine And, I am sure happy that I don't live there!

I think it has to do with all about the "ease" of getting benefits. The illegals may be poor but they are not stupid.

Streaming across our Southern border are people from Central and South America. Why don't hey stop in Mexico? because if they make it to the US they are on easy street.

How about the Syrian refugees? Why don't they stop in Greece? It is because Greece is in economic shambles so they press on to Germany which has lots of money, services and lingering guilt to help them and give them.

There will come a tipping point in this country and we are about there where the illegal welfare dependent people will receive more state and federal aide than a needy citizen gets. There will also come a time when the welfare trough runs empty then what happens?

Old 10-01-2015, 11:38 PM

1,059 posts, read 833,186 times
On the PBS website, there is an article about California's high rate of people on Medicaid (now called Medi-Cal), fully one-third of the state's population. According to the graph, 54% are Hispanics, 17% Caucasian, and the rest are varying ethnic backgrounds. In fairness, there is no distinction between legal and illegal. The article is entitled "Giving millions more access to care, Medicaid expansion strains California's health system." I cannot post the link from my iPad (it is on PBS.org). Very alarming figures, and as always, the comments are as good as the article.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:25 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,475,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
On the PBS website, there is an article about California's high rate of people on Medicaid (now called Medi-Cal), fully one-third of the state's population. According to the graph, 54% are Hispanics, 17% Caucasian, and the rest are varying ethnic backgrounds. In fairness, there is no distinction between legal and illegal. The article is entitled "Giving millions more access to care, Medicaid expansion strains California's health system." I cannot post the link from my iPad (it is on PBS.org). Very alarming figures, and as always, the comments are as good as the article.

And that is a damn freaken shame. I rather this go to our homeless which is plenty, our vets, and our mentally ill, who for the most part are not taken care of. People who break the law, should not be rewarded. What does this say for the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration