Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 02:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Been there done that; I've sponsored someone for a green card. It's an arduous process.

That being said, I don't believe it should be made easier...but discussing amnesty for illegals is a slap in the face to those who've done it legally.
"Amnesty" is a slap in the face to all those who have struggled to follow the Red Tape and Bureaucracy to gain Citizenship - All that said (and no, I don't support "Amnesty") .......

Don't we have Amnesty now? There is no Immigration Control and Sanctuary Cities and the Leftists are making sure that we can't even lock up the Illegal Alien Criminals ..... much less send them back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 05:12 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
"Amnesty" is a slap in the face to all those who have struggled to follow the Red Tape and Bureaucracy to gain Citizenship - All that said (and no, I don't support "Amnesty") .......

Don't we have Amnesty now? There is no Immigration Control and Sanctuary Cities and the Leftists are making sure that we can't even lock up the Illegal Alien Criminals ..... much less send them back.
Technically, it isn't amnesty. It is stupidity at this point and pandering for votes by the Democratic Party.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:50 PM

62,947 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

It certainly is a de facto amnesty with these stays of deportation for millions of illegal aliens.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:03 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Agreed. In Costa Rica a person pays $400.00 application fee waits about 2 months and the goes to the appointment andwalks up to the window and the clerk says denied. No reason and no recourse and the $400.00 isgone.

Don't get married overseas. get a marriage VISA.
That sounds like an application process for a tourist VISA. A gringo boyfriend showing up at that interview or a gringo husband being there is pretty much a guaranteed denial. If a boyfriend, it will be assumed that she will go to the states and get married there. If a gringo husband shows up they will assume that the couple is trying to take an easy path to the US without going through the complete immigration process in which background checks, proof of relationship and financials are gone over! Either way, they see it as the girl looking for a way to gain access to the US and not come back. Tourist visas have strict guidlines on needing ties to ones country, such as job, house, bank account with money in it, etc. etc. without any of that there will be no tourist visa!

I married my Colombian wife in Costa Rica and did everything through the US embassy in Costa Rica. The petition to USCIS was around 700? In it I had to have all sorts of proof that we were legit, which wasn't hard as we'ed been together for 5 years and she had several trips to the US (tourist VISA) before and we lived together. I sent in plenty of pictures of us together in assorted different locations as well as copies of previous travel itinerary's which had us together with tickets bought on the same card. I also needed my work history and financial records to prove she would not be a "public charge". Marriage certificate copies notorized, birth certificates notorized, a copy of EVERY page of my passport,etc..spelling checked, I's dotted. T's crossed. It was a process but not impossible. I did not use a lawer as they can only help with forms. They don't actually help with the approval. If your good with filling out forms and following instructions exactly, you don't need a lawyer. If you suck at forms and can't follow instructions, use a lawyer!

She had to have a "police release" (showing she is free and clear from any issues and has a clean record) from every place she had lived previousely, which in her case would have been from Coasta rica and Medellin, Colombia. She also needed blood work and a few other things done and then got her interview scheduled after a 6 month wait. I went with her to the interview, not at the window together, but to make my presence known. Then I was interviewed since I was there and they asked me similar questions. kind of a cross check to see if the answers were the same. They approved her but she went into an extra "administrative processing" which took another 2 month's before getting her passport back with her new residence visa.

The whole process was a bit of a pain but really not that bad. It can be done and they do put the pending immigrant through the wringer on background checks etc. I'm all for that. The whole process took us about 9 month's from me sending in a petition to USCIS to her getting off the plane in Miami!

So, basically, it pisses me off as well seeing these thieves come here illegally and stealing our benefits and jobs while undercutting us and working for cheap. They bring property values down and crime goes up wherever they invade. I've made it clear here plenty of times my stance on illegals and it really pisses me off how the media has now completely blended the "illegals" into the legal immigrants makeing people belive that being against illegal alians and amnesty is against immigration. How can I be against LEGAL immigration when my wife is from Colombia and my mom came here from Norway about 60 years ago. I'm against illegals - 1000%.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:00 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
It makes me very angry to see our political leaders in the US doing nothing about illegal immigrants who are breaking American laws to enter the US. Meanwhile, people like my wife and our family jump through hoop after bureaucratic hoop waiting to do things the right way.

Unbelievable.
The laws don't get changed because it's a hot topic for the conservatives in the country. Were you a Republican right now, would you rather scream about needing immigration refrom and watch the donations flood in or fix the legal immigration system and see nothing come in. It's easier and move profitable to do nothing.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:16 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,500 times
yeah too bad its easier for some.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
The laws don't get changed because it's a hot topic for the conservatives in the country. Were you a Republican right now, would you rather scream about needing immigration refrom and watch the donations flood in or fix the legal immigration system and see nothing come in. It's easier and move profitable to do nothing.
It is and should be a hot topic for every American because it impacts every American. No reform is needed. Enforce the laws on the books. What is being proposed is simply amnesty and it's just plain wrong.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:23 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
do you not think the immigration process is full of bureaucracy? IF they simplified the process, more would come legally- you are lucky it took few month or couple of years-- for many it is a 10 year wait-- 10-- that's a lifetime.
I knew one mom, she cleaned our office, was a nat. citizen, and she died of cancer while waiting for her son to get his papers. Her son finally came to get her ashes, they would not even allow a VISA for him to visit her before she died. All her efforts-- and money zip -- he never got anything.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
do you not think the immigration process is full of bureaucracy? IF they simplified the process, more would come legally- you are lucky it took few month or couple of years-- for many it is a 10 year wait-- 10-- that's a lifetime.
I knew one mom, she cleaned our office, was a nat. citizen, and she died of cancer while waiting for her son to get his papers. Her son finally came to get her ashes, they would not even allow a VISA for him to visit her before she died. All her efforts-- and money zip -- he never got anything.
We don't need more to come legally. We have annual quotas in place for good reasons. Now I don't oppose streamlining the process for those who already fall within those quotas but we certainly don't need to increase our quotas at this time just so fewer will come illegally.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:10 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
The immigration system should be challenging. It should be used to filter out anyone who can't meet a minimum standard. That standard should be proof that the applicant won't become a burden upon our nation. We create enough of our own poor, our own poorly educated citizens. If the applicant can't afford the application fees then they obviously can't afford to immigrate to this country. Sponsors need to be held accountable. If the person they sponsor ends up on welfare or disability the sponsor should have to shoulder that burden not the state.
If you sponsor someone and they come here and have a baby the sponsor should have to foot that bill. In short sponsors need to be able to afford the responsibility of being a sponsor. That includes providing proof of health insurance for the applicant before the applicant can enter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration