Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 10:07 AM

42,823 posts, read 26,542,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Start enforcing EVerify...punish the businesses that hire them with huge fines and jail time. cut off all food stamps and housing vouchers. Enforce the limit on the number of people that can reside in a residence. No free tuition....the little things.
There have been laws on the books that criminalize hiring undocumented people for decades, they have never been enforced. Illegals don't get housing vouchers or food stamps. And most apartment managers do restrict the number of people who can reside in an apartment.

Why hate on the people who came here for jobs when many of them are recruited in their home country by labor brokers representing companies like Con Agra, Tyson, Armor, Cargill? ? What if wages in the US were 75 cents an hour but Canada offered 10 times that much, do you really believe that US Citizens wouldn't illegally cross that border to support their families. Whether we are talking about Mexicans or US Citizens, no one is going to sit down on the sidewalk with their family and wait to die because they can't support their family- they will do what they need to do. But big business and it's clever lobbyists have done a fine job in turning people whose crime is trying to support themselves and their families into the enemy , very f'in clever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 12:30 PM

26,177 posts, read 22,356,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There have been laws on the books that criminalize hiring undocumented people for decades, they have never been enforced. Illegals don't get housing vouchers or food stamps. And most apartment managers do restrict the number of people who can reside in an apartment.

Why hate on the people who came here for jobs when many of them are recruited in their home country by labor brokers representing companies like Con Agra, Tyson, Armor, Cargill? ? What if wages in the US were 75 cents an hour but Canada offered 10 times that much, do you really believe that US Citizens wouldn't illegally cross that border to support their families. Whether we are talking about Mexicans or US Citizens, no one is going to sit down on the sidewalk with their family and wait to die because they can't support their family- they will do what they need to do. But big business and it's clever lobbyists have done a fine job in turning people whose crime is trying to support themselves and their families into the enemy , very f'in clever.
You don't get around the net much do you?

Kansas hotel owner sent to prison for hiring undocumented immigrant workers | Fox News Latino

Obama holds record for cracking down on employers who hire undocumented workers, says Wasserman Schultz | PolitiFact Florida

Immigration Raids at Smithfield: How an ICE Enforcement Action Boosted Union Organizing and the Employment of American Workers | Center for Immigration Studies

I could on.

On Section 8 housing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0fJUassI_Y and their anchor babies get them in public housing: Facebook post claims nearly 60 percent of public housing residents are illegal immigrants | PolitiFact

And, "hate on people" really doesn't make sense, not in wording or action. They came here breaking the immigration laws of the US and stepping in front of others waiting and doing things the legal way. And, no, US citizens that are law abiding wouldn't be passing in Canada and Canada wouldn't have their head up their butt when it came to showing those law breakers the door. $5,000 Fine for Crossing American/Canadian Border Illegally. Why Not Same for American/Mexican Border? | The Last Resistance and Citizenship Pathways and Border Protection: Canada | Law Library of Congress

So, the problem I see here is that you just don't have a clue about illegal immigration so it is easy for you to make the statements you are making since you are ignorant of the situation that illegal immigration is.

Illegals be gone!

Before I made random statements, I would "google". Actually, that is what I do.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You don't get around the net much do you? I could on. And, "hate on people" really doesn't make sense, not in wording or action. They came here breaking the immigration laws of the US and stepping in front of others waiting and doing things the legal way. So, the problem I see here is that you just don't have a clue about illegal immigration so it is easy for you to make the statements you are making since you are ignorant of the situation that illegal immigration is. Illegals be gone! Before I made random statements, I would "google". Actually, that is what I do.
Wow, you found three links that supposedly support your contention that employers are prosecuted for hiring illegal workers- THREE. Unauthorized immigrants made up 5.1% of the nation’s labor force in 2012, numbering 8.1 million who were working or looking for work, they pay approximately 13 billion in Social Security each year That represents a lot more employers than the tiny number who are ever prosecuted Here are some real numbers about how many employers of those 8.1 million people are actually prosecuted:

Regarding your amazing revelation about Illegal immigrants getting subsidized housing, your source indicates that they can only get housing if a member of their household is a citizen, so once again- I was correct.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:53 PM

63,430 posts, read 29,448,736 times
First off they aren't "undocumented people". They are illegal alien lawbreakers. What an assumption that the majority of Americans would break another country's immigration laws for any reason. Second, by doing so an illegal alien harms the citizens of said country in so many ways whom are also trying to feed their families. They have taken a job from an American. I guess that doesn't matter? Why have kids you cannot afford to feed on your own anyway?

So I guess according to the pro-illegals if someone tempts you to break the law and you do it, that's ok and you're not guilty of anything? Really? Both the employers and their illegal workforce are equally guilty. There is no hatred involved in this issue. It is about breaking our laws by both the employers and their illegal workforce and the negative impact it has on our own citizens. Just working here illegally isn't the only crime they commit. They are either doing so by using a fake or stolen ID (felonies) or being paid cash and evading taxes (also a felony). Many of them commit even more serious crimes. We have enough of our own home grown criminals to deal with. We shouldn't have to deal with the crimes of foreign invaders also. Also, they cost us billions of tax dollars and they send billions out of our country to their homelands every year.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
First off they aren't "undocumented people". They are illegal alien lawbreakers. What an assumption that the majority of Americans would break another country's immigration laws for any reason. Second, by doing so an illegal alien harms the citizens of said country in so many ways whom are also trying to feed their families. They have taken a job from an American. I guess that doesn't matter? Why have kids you cannot afford to feed on your own anyway? So I guess according to the pro-illegals if someone tempts you to break the law and you do it, that's ok and you're not guilty of anything? Really? Both the employers and their illegal workforce are equally guilty. There is no hatred involved in this issue. It is about breaking our laws by both the employers and their illegal workforce and the negative impact it has on our own citizens. Just working here illegally isn't the only crime they commit. They are either doing so by using a fake or stolen ID (felonies) or being paid cash and evading taxes (also a felony). Many of them commit even more serious crimes. We have enough of our own home grown criminals to deal with. We shouldn't have to deal with the crimes of foreign invaders also. Also, they cost us billions of tax dollars and they send billions out of our country to their homelands every year.
If that was directed at me - it makes absolutely no sense and has nothing to do with my post which was a response to a poster who claimed that the Government proactively prosecutes employers. Maybe you should read those last few posts again, or at least let us know who/what your post is directed at.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:46 PM

26,177 posts, read 22,356,222 times
Quote:
If that was directed at me - it makes absolutely no sense and has nothing to do with my post which was a response to a poster who claimed that the Government proactively prosecutes employers. Maybe you should read those last few posts again, or at least let us know who/what your post is directed at.
No, you said that illegals were not in Section 8 housing and they are. We plan to drop kick both the illegals and their anchors back across the southern border.

You have provided nothing other than opinions based on what appears to be an ignorance related to the issues with illegal aliens, those that entered the country without authorization.

Don't miss the party and a chance at the pinata in your local illegal neighborhood, the going away party.

I can't wait until we go full speed ahead with enforcement because I have calls to make! Yes!

I suggest you learn how to effectively use "google" since I limit my reading to post meant to inform and "ignore" the rest at some point.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:28 PM

63,430 posts, read 29,448,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
No, you said that illegals were not in Section 8 housing and they are. We plan to drop kick both the illegals and their anchors back across the southern border.

You have provided nothing other than opinions based on what appears to be an ignorance related to the issues with illegal aliens, those that entered the country without authorization.

Don't miss the party and a chance at the pinata in your local illegal neighborhood, the going away party.

I can't wait until we go full speed ahead with enforcement because I have calls to make! Yes!

I suggest you learn how to effectively use "google" since I limit my reading to post meant to inform and "ignore" the rest at some point.

Maybe she/he needs to re-read what they posted about in it's entirety which is what I responded to. I have such people on ignore but sometimes I read their remarks from replies to them by others. They didn't just deny that illegals are getting Section 8 housing, etc. They completely defended their presence in our country.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:22 PM

16,234 posts, read 5,917,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
You fail to recognize that I don't care or agree with the Conservative view. "Send a very direct message"??

We promote ourselves as the "land of opportunity", so I don't blame people from other countries who want to come here and try to make a better life for themselves and their kids. People do desperate things when their kids are in desperate need of the basics, and it's natural for the parents to want a better life for them, even if it means breaking the current law to do so. The law needs to be changed to facilitate their passage and acceptance into this society. Inclusion, is what I prefer. Our society needs to take care of those less fortunate and those groups who have been historically discriminated against. We need to help the poor come out of poverty, not condemn them because they're poor. We need to help those who want to come to this country and become fine citizens to do that, not condemn them for their temporary "illegal" status.

Bigoted Republicans and Conservatives are obsessed with keeping immigrants at bay, denying them the opportunity to seek a better life in this so-called "land of opportunity". Here at home, this same repulsive segment created Slavery, supported Jim Crow, and continue to discriminate along racial lines as a matter of course. This again, is a denial of equal opportunity in the "land of opportunity".

Illegals are fine. It's CONSERVATIVES we don't need.
I checked. I can't find it written anywhere in our constitution that says that we owe immigrants a better life. I doesn't mention welcoming illegals either. Most conservatives have no issue with legal immigrants. You know, the kind that respected our laws enough to enter the right way. The kind that don't abuse our generosity by violating the terms of their VISA's.
We need to help our own poor come out of poverty, in fact we owe it to our own citizens to see to their needs first. Our society owes nothing to illegals.
Denying entry to any illegal that can't meet our standards is not racist, bigoted or xenophobic. Every nation on the planet is entitled to set their own standard. I fully support a nation's right to determine the minimum standard that suits their individual needs.
I applaud your sense of compassion, but what about compassion for your fellow Americans who have been displaced by illegals?

Old 12-09-2015, 06:33 PM

22,576 posts, read 12,141,572 times
Quote:
No, actually they don't hurt the economy. The money they pay in SS tax goes towards keeping the fund solvent because they will never collect benefits. They commit fewer crimes than other demographic groups. My problem with undocumented workers is that there has been collateral damage; because they work for less, wages for all workers has been impacted and I think their presence has caused, at least to some extent, the loss of labor unions in the building trades.

But it's not a problem that will be easily solved. In 2011 Republicans offered a bill that would require e-verify and believe it or not, Republicans led by Dan Lungren (R) killed the bill. Thanks to the campaign contributions from Agra, Meat and Produce industries, Restaurants etc. to Politicians in BOTH parties there will never be a sensible solution to this. And if Trump were to get elected, unless he goes Mussolini on us and decides he can pass law by fiat he can't deport anyone and congress will not let him do it..trust and believe the cash cow of illegal labor is not something that our industries will let go of it without a big ugly bloody fight
Wrong! Illegals certainly do hurt the economy. They've displaced unskilled Americans in the work force. A good portion of the money they earn gets sent out of the country. Not all of them put money into SS. Many work under the table. Have you ever thought of the victims? You know, the people who have discovered that they fell prey to ID theft or someone was using their SSN without using their name with it. Illegals are a huge burden on our hospitals. Their offspring put a large strain on our schools. And, yes, there are far too many sleazy employers who prefer to hire cheap, exploitable, illegal labor---and they need to be punished for doing so.

I don't care how much crime illegals commit. (And they do commit a lot of it) Any crime committed by an illegal is a crime that wouldn't have been committed if the illegal wasn't here in the first place. Period.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:29 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,380,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
But..but....who would do all those jobs Americans won't do???
Oh c'mon. When jobs need doing, they will get done.

"Won't do" is a euphemism for "never given a shot when they apply". Believe me, I've gone to alot of interviews, and walked away with the impression that even though I was cool with entry level work, they saw immigrants as a source of cheap labor. I got fed up when a job turned me down, and two weeks later hired immigrants at dirt prices. Or they want people who jump when they call instead of giving workers schedules they choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration