Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:15 PM

542 posts, read 692,811 times

Advertisements

Texas Valedictorian, Scholarship Recipient Under Fire for Tweeting She's Undocumented.

Quote:
A young valedictorian from Texas has stirred controversy after she tweeted that she will be attending the University of Texas-Austin with a full scholarship and that she is undocumented.
Even if she's protected under DACA, this is a pretty bold thing to do. I'm not entirely sure how she thought that was something to brag about. I'm sure there are tons of people living legally here who didn't get scholarships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 09:45 PM

6,233 posts, read 3,616,598 times
Well, Rick Perry defended in-state tuition for illegals because to deny them would be punishing the children for the actions of their parents. Now look what we've got...people bragging about their illegality. Why wouldn't they? The highest office in the land has rolled out the red carpet for them, while their party's presumptive nominee is promising the same.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:01 AM

24,021 posts, read 15,120,909 times
It is any wonder the kid can be brazen about her status?

When John Cornyn was AG, sworn in by Gov GW Bush, he also said illegals could use Matricular Consular cards for ID for opening bank accounts, for buying houses, cars, etc.

IIRC, his immigration reform proposal included forgiveness for illegals working in Texas and their employers.

Guess he changed his mind.

Nobody in Texas will rescind that kid's scholarship.

Texas Republican lawmakers have long talked out of both sides of their mouths.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:28 AM

73 posts, read 72,016 times
I found these comments on SA local news web site. Where is America the Great ?!

i commend her academic achievements, she's obviously worked hard for them! However, someone with her intelligence level and status as a role model should think about what they say before hand. For one, you came to America for a reason (or her parents did) and stayed here receiving a quality education so it appears. Why act as if you're rubbing salt in a wound by announcing you're undocumented? And why be pasting the Mexican flag all over when they're not the ones that helped you get where you are now? Instead, show support for the country that you CHOOSE to live in and who has given you such opportunities...all of which MANY of the natural born citizens or legal immigrants do not get a chance to experience

This is Double Standard and appalling I'm a legal immigrant here with a valid Green Card. Applied to ITSA they wouldn't accept me saying I needed to prove that I have lived here legally. I had to submit tax documents that I have paid taxes in the US, have a valid TX driver license and provide an original US immigration document showing that my wife sponsored me into the US. I was told I could not be accepted into UTSA unless I proved that I have lived here in Texas legally. So how is it that this illegal goes to school and UTSA for free ? This is discrimination against legal immigrants. I was even paying US taxes before living in the US and before becoming a legal permanent resident. WOW this is America ? Illegal immigrants are encouraged and praised in the US. We should open to borders to the rest of the world, so they too can come here illegally and get free education. This is very sad, no wonder America is going bankrupt

Old 06-09-2016, 11:06 AM

24,438 posts, read 23,103,140 times
People do stupid things, even arrogant self obsessed brats who just graduated at the top of their class. Her scholarship should be revoked, IMO. Let her go to school but then pay off the debt that legal citizens would have to pay.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:59 AM

589 posts, read 300,611 times
Just despicable....how on earth can this "Illegal Alien", not "Undocumented Immigrant" even attend public school here, let alone, just be here without any repercussion. She admits she's here ILLEGALLY.

It's not just these Illegal Aliens to blame but the administration that is allowing and assisting this to happen. We need to have Gov Abbott remove all sanctuary cities immediately. In addition, not only does he need to have her scholarship rescinded, she needs to be deported ASAP.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:27 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,869,580 times
Teenagers are generally ignorant, and do incredibly stupid things on social media. That's a fairly well-documented fact over the last 20 years. She would have probably done herself a favor by not broadcasting the fact that she is an illegal alien.

What I find laughable is that this illegal alien was the valedictorian with a 4.5 GPA. My daughter had a 5.18 GPA in high school, and was 44th in her class. The valedictorian graduated with a 5.4 GPA.

Unfortunately, both sides are to blame for the illegal alien problem. Remember, Resident Obama actually had not one but TWO illegal aliens in his family living here, on the taxpayer dole. That's honestly the most pathetic part about his "legacy" that he is always seemed obsessed over.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:35 PM

17,461 posts, read 14,691,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post

What I find laughable is that this illegal alien was the valedictorian with a 4.5 GPA. My daughter had a 5.18 GPA in high school, and was 44th in her class. The valedictorian graduated with a 5.4 GPA.
I don't agree with illegal immigrants receiving American benefits of ANY kind, but you're comparing apples to oranges here.

Some schools base their GPAs off of a 4.0 scale, some 5.0, some 6.0. You can't compare your daughters GPA and ranking to the one in this article.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:40 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,869,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I don't agree with illegal immigrants receiving American benefits of ANY kind, but you're comparing apples to oranges here.

Some schools base their GPAs off of a 4.0 scale, some 5.0, some 6.0. You can't compare your daughters GPA and ranking to the one in this article.
NO school bases their GPA off of a 4.0 scale, and haven't since I was in high school nearly 30 years ago. That changed with the introduction of Advanced Placement (AP) classes, as well as Honors classes.

AP and Honors classes carry more weight, which is why the illegal alien's GPA was higher than a 4.0. A 4.0 scale did exist when my father was in high school, but that was in the 1950s.

In 2016, when you see a valedictorian with a mid-4's GPA, you can rest assured that the high school is not a highly-ranked school.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:45 PM

17,461 posts, read 14,691,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
NO school bases their GPA off of a 4.0 scale, and haven't since I was in high school nearly 30 years ago. That changed with the introduction of Advanced Placement (AP) classes, as well as Honors classes.

AP and Honors classes carry more weight, which is why the illegal alien's GPA was higher than a 4.0. A 4.0 scale did exist when my father was in high school, but that was in the 1950s.

In 2016, when you see a valedictorian with a mid-4's GPA, you can rest assured that the high school is not a highly-ranked school.

Please stop with the sweeping generalizations - you can't compare GPAs without knowing the exact particulars of each school's system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration