Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times

Advertisements

Its annoying dealing with illegals whenever I go to any fast food place or the gas station. Yesterday I was at an Exxon here in Maryland and I was explaining to the guy why that window scrubbing thing leaves my car windows even more blurred and greasy than before. He was some foreigner from an African country with a weird accent. I even brought the scrubber into the mart and pointed to my car and he still didn't understand my English.

The only English he apparently knew was "manager" and "come tomorrow". People at McDonalds and Popeyes have been unable to answer very simple questions about specials, sales, coupons, etc. Last night I was very p___ off. The illegal should be thankful the scrubber worked right this afternoon because if I had gone to see the manager I would have complained and suggested the guy be fired. What p___ me off more than having to go back for the scrubbing (after all its probably some other guy who didn't clean the solution right not this guy's fault) but the fact that he is standing there, being rude to me because he can't understand me, when I'm speaking my own language in my own friggin country. The other customers were also sympathetic to me. These kinds are things are even worse than calling the Indian call centers regarding credit card info. At Popeyes I was asking, very slowly and clearly about coupons and how much it would cost me to buy the individual items in a combo without the drink so I could compare prices. The cashier from some Central American country or Mexico just stood there like an idiot and talked a lot of gibberish until their manager, whose English was passable though not quite up to speed, helped me out.

My parents are LEGAL immigrants from Taiwan. They learned to speak English and unlike many illegals from all over the world (including too many from China and other Asian countries) know to respect this country, to learn English, and to adapt to America instead of expect America to adapt to us.

I'm usually a very laid-back guy. People are human, they make mistakes, I know that. I won't tip a waitress less because she messes up my order or forgets my refills and if the kid at Best Buy rings me up wrong I'm cool with that as long as its corrected. I'm not that kind of demanding customer. But when service is hindered because someone cannot even speak English in the US, and ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRY the last time I checked I will get upset and show it.

If companies want to hire illegals, that's the CIS and the police's job to stop it, but at least they shouldn't be putting illegals in customer service positions. I don't care if the person flipping burgers or sweeping the floor doesn't speak English, but if someone lacks the language skills for the basic communication needed to perform his/her job, then they are not qualified for that position.

Oh yeah and those illegals should know that when I ask for a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich (they will not know what a BLT is), that means I want bacon, lettuce, and tomato in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times
After reading the first sentence I came up with a question: How do you know these guys were illegals? They could of been immigrants with Visas going to school or on a guest worker program? I'm tired of people assuming anyone who doesn't speak good English is illegal.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:38 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
All of the international students at my University spoke better English than these guys. Yes, some of my TAs,especially in chemistry classes and physics, had very heavy accents but it was at leaest possible to communicate.

Also my dad took the citizenship test, I know how much English you need to know to pass it.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
After reading the first sentence I came up with a question: How do you know these guys were illegals? They could of been immigrants with Visas going to school or on a guest worker program? I'm tired of people assuming anyone who doesn't speak good English is illegal.
Ok, ProLogic . . . why are you so quick to assume they are LEGALS?

See, it works both ways!
! ! ! !

Old 01-28-2008, 11:20 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Ok, ProLogic . . . why are you so quick to assume they are LEGALS?

See, it works both ways!
! ! ! !
I never said they were legal citizens, I wasn't saying anything. I was asking why he was so quick to judge.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Its annoying dealing with illegals whenever I go to any fast food place or the gas station. Yesterday I was at an Exxon here in Maryland and I was explaining to the guy why that window scrubbing thing leaves my car windows even more blurred and greasy than before. He was some foreigner from an African country with a weird accent. I even brought the scrubber into the mart and pointed to my car and he still didn't understand my English.

The only English he apparently knew was "manager" and "come tomorrow". People at McDonalds and Popeyes have been unable to answer very simple questions about specials, sales, coupons, etc. Last night I was very p___ off. The illegal should be thankful the scrubber worked right this afternoon because if I had gone to see the manager I would have complained and suggested the guy be fired. What p___ me off more than having to go back for the scrubbing (after all its probably some other guy who didn't clean the solution right not this guy's fault) but the fact that he is standing there, being rude to me because he can't understand me, when I'm speaking my own language in my own friggin country. The other customers were also sympathetic to me. These kinds are things are even worse than calling the Indian call centers regarding credit card info. At Popeyes I was asking, very slowly and clearly about coupons and how much it would cost me to buy the individual items in a combo without the drink so I could compare prices. The cashier from some Central American country or Mexico just stood there like an idiot and talked a lot of gibberish until their manager, whose English was passable though not quite up to speed, helped me out.

My parents are LEGAL immigrants from Taiwan. They learned to speak English and unlike many illegals from all over the world (including too many from China and other Asian countries) know to respect this country, to learn English, and to adapt to America instead of expect America to adapt to us.

I'm usually a very laid-back guy. People are human, they make mistakes, I know that. I won't tip a waitress less because she messes up my order or forgets my refills and if the kid at Best Buy rings me up wrong I'm cool with that as long as its corrected. I'm not that kind of demanding customer. But when service is hindered because someone cannot even speak English in the US, and ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRY the last time I checked I will get upset and show it.

If companies want to hire illegals, that's the CIS and the police's job to stop it, but at least they shouldn't be putting illegals in customer service positions. I don't care if the person flipping burgers or sweeping the floor doesn't speak English, but if someone lacks the language skills for the basic communication needed to perform his/her job, then they are not qualified for that position.

Oh yeah and those illegals should know that when I ask for a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich (they will not know what a BLT is), that means I want bacon, lettuce, and tomato in it.
First of all, I would like to thank you and your parents for loving this country and obtaining citizenship the legal way, it means a lot to us Americans frustrated with the illegal invasion. Anyone who respects this country and wants to be a part of it enough to go through the legal hurdles should be commended. If everyone did this then there would be no need for this forum. Second, I TOTALLY agree and understand your frustration of people in a customer service job not knowing English. You parents moved and learned the language, they did no expect everyone else to learn Taiwanese. I don't understand why Spanish speaking people think it's the job of Americans to learn Spanish to cater to them, we're no doing it for any other language. And whether the people at McD's, Burger King, Taco Bell or where ever are legal or not, if you're going to put someone in a customer service position in this country they should have the necessary English skills or they should not have that job, period.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:54 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212

Terrapin2212 we need more citizens like you to have their voices heard in the media. Thanks for being a voice of reason. I am also perplexed why anyone employed in customer service here in America would not be required to have a good command of the English languge. Too many immigrants do not want to follow the rules and assimilate like those before them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
First of all, I would like to thank you and your parents for loving this country and obtaining citizenship the legal way, it means a lot to us Americans frustrated with the illegal invasion. Anyone who respects this country and wants to be a part of it enough to go through the legal hurdles should be commended. If everyone did this then there would be no need for this forum. Second, I TOTALLY agree and understand your frustration of people in a customer service job not knowing English. You parents moved and learned the language, they did no expect everyone else to learn Taiwanese. I don't understand why Spanish speaking people think it's the job of Americans to learn Spanish to cater to them, we're no doing it for any other language. And whether the people at McD's, Burger King, Taco Bell or where ever are legal or not, if you're going to put someone in a customer service position in this country they should have the necessary English skills or they should not have that job, period.
Awesome post. Thanks

Old 01-29-2008, 03:33 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post

Trust me terrapin, it is just as bad sumtime worse in NoVA than MD. I work in the Alexandria Wachovias and i always dread having to work the branches on Rt. 1 and in the Arlandria section of Alexandria because half of my customers can't even understanding what i'm saying or they always wait for the teller who "speak a the spanish" clogging my line. I also used to work for Circuit City in the seven corners/baileys crossroads area. I had at least 5 customers every day ask "do someone speak a the spanish?" or once every two weeks it be "do someone speak arabic?" or when someone would do a credit card application i'd ask for the social security # and they didnt have one.

It is sad in a country my family has fought for in Iraq, Afghanistan, WWII, Vietnam, etc. it is getting to the point now that you cant even make a decent living in the service industry if you dont speak spanish or hindi or arabic or whatever.

THIS IS AMERICA, SPEAK ENGLISH OR GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:57 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,931 times
I was never aware the states of Virginia and Maryland were home to so many illegal aliens. What is drawing them to those states. Where I live in Florida, a non english speaking person would not cut it in customer service.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:24 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Side note here:

What is it about most 'Asians' who move here and their obvious capability (and desire) to learn/speak correct English?

A lady at the local Basha's (grocery store chain); who is age 40, came here from Cambodia @ age 10-12 and speaks proper English with almost a 'Southern' twang and a very slight Far East accent.

Yet; so many US born/raised Americans of recent Mexican heritage still sound like recently arrived foreigners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration