Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 AM

451 posts, read 311,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And you open borders types are really just about ultra cheap labor -- because with the chaos in Mexico, you really can't claim the big exodus out is benefitting Mexico and there's no reason to say all the cheap labor is really benefitting the USA.

The only ones who benefit are the elitists who believe they must have the cheapest servants possible and the corporations wanting desperate labor that will work for dirt pay and doesn't expect health insurance or other benefits.
Olecapt is right, there is a common ideal between us, which is dealing
with illegals, we need to do it in a way that won't hurt our economy more than it is. The all-out, no frills, red-neck approach may be too risky.
One mistake made by the lay-man is to accuse the "elitists", or "big corporations" of benefiting from cheap labor, guess what my friends; those
elitists and big corp. are us, millions of simple stockholder that make up the bulk of the ownership in those corporations, is there any mistery as to why
the federal gov. is not more aggressive with the undocumented?
the ownership of these corporations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,597,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Olecapt is right, there is a common ideal between us, which is dealing
with illegals, we need to do it in a way that won't hurt our economy more than it is. The all-out, no frills, red-neck approach may be too risky.
One mistake made by the lay-man is to accuse the "elitists", or "big corporations" of benefiting from cheap labor, guess what my friends; those
elitists and big corp. are us, millions of simple stockholder that make up the bulk of the ownership in those corporations
, is there any mistery as to why
the federal gov. is not more aggressive with the undocumented?
the ownership of these corporations
I call BS on this. If you look at the ownership of these corporations, the great majority of stock is held by institutional investors, NOT simple share-holders. In other words, OTHER corporations. It's all so intertwined I'm almost certain that if you dig deeply enough you'll find that businesses own about 90% of EVERYTHING.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 AM

18,486 posts, read 15,293,542 times
Look, for me this is completely a financial issue. I own stocks too, but the devaluation of the dollar has to stop. Sure, if we raise interest rates there will be inflation. Sure, if we get rid of illegal immigrants there will be inflation. This will all contribute to a recession, but a recession that we MUST get through in order to move forward. We can't continue to devalue the dollar the way we are doing now, or we will end up in a recession from which there is no recovery. The fed keeps lowering interest rates which leads to bubbles. The tech bubble, the housing bubble, etc. Then they have to bring on recessions to correct them and the only tool they have in their bag is print more money and lower interest rates again...leading to another bubble. We look the other way, while countless illegal aliens come here to keep wages low so that corporations can keep paying low wages, further preventing the inflation that is inevitable in a growing economy, further lowering the value of the dollar.

Meanwhile we have hidden inflation because international commodities are costing us more. The weak dollar makes oil more costly for us, which leads to rising prices in just about every market in the US. We cant just keep falling behind the rest of the world. Before you know it gold will be 2k per ounce and gas will be 5 dollars per gallon. Anyone who put their money in gold or Swiss Francs or just about ANY foreign currency is laughing all the way to the bank. Meanwhile, the middle class is being snuffed out and we are looking more and more like a third world country. The illegal aliens are merely a piece of this puzzle, but a piece that can be easily fixed. I mean, am I the only one that sees the declining quality of life in America?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:43 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Look, for me this is completely a financial issue. I own stocks too, but the devaluation of the dollar has to stop. Sure, if we raise interest rates there will be inflation. Sure, if we get rid of illegal immigrants there will be inflation. This will all contribute to a recession, but a recession that we MUST get through in order to move forward. We can't continue to devalue the dollar the way we are doing now, or we will end up in a recession from which there is no recovery. The fed keeps lowering interest rates which leads to bubbles. The tech bubble, the housing bubble, etc. Then they have to bring on recessions to correct them and the only tool they have in their bag is print more money and lower interest rates again...leading to another bubble. We look the other way, while countless illegal aliens come here to keep wages low so that corporations can keep paying low wages, further preventing the inflation that is inevitable in a growing economy, further lowering the value of the dollar.

Meanwhile we have hidden inflation because international commodities are costing us more. The weak dollar makes oil more costly for us, which leads to rising prices in just about every market in the US. We cant just keep falling behind the rest of the world. Before you know it gold will be 2k per ounce and gas will be 5 dollars per gallon. Anyone who put their money in gold or Swiss Francs or just about ANY foreign currency is laughing all the way to the bank. Meanwhile, the middle class is being snuffed out and we are looking more and more like a third world country. The illegal aliens are merely a piece of this puzzle, but a piece that can be easily fixed. I mean, am I the only one that sees the declining quality of life in America?
I may not agree with everything you stated; but, suffice to say, much of what was said hits too close to home for me for comfort.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I may not agree with everything you stated; but, suffice to say, much of what was said hits too close to home for me for comfort.
Those are mostly Ron Paul's words, not mine. I just happen to agree with it. But more people should be uncomfortable. Maybe we will finally DO something about it.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,719 times
Am I the only one who thinks that millions and millions of illegal immigrants who live here, send most of their money BACK HOME to Mexico, and will never achieve home ownership in this country might be a contributing factor to any kind of downturn in the housing market and other economic problems. I have been in construction for 15 years and work hard and earn an honest wage. I could lose my job tomorrow and not to somebody who is willing to work for 8 dollars an hour, but by someone who is willing to hire cheaper labor and bid lower than we can go, unless we want offer paycuts to everbody. How about paying people what they are worth and charging more for the product-whether it is a house, orange juice or a pallet-wouldnt that stimulate the economy? Illegals do not do jobs that I will not do, they work cheaper than I can possibly afford to. If picking oranges paid $30000 a year you would have millions of middle class AMERICANS lining up to pick oranges, and if orange juice cost twice as much we would still buy it.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:43 PM

162 posts, read 326,488 times
Illegal immigration is like a bear, but this one awakes only around elections time, then will be sleeping another 4 years.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
Illegal immigration is like a bear, but this one awakes only around elections time, then will be sleeping another 4 years.
Thats funny, because it seems to me like the 3 major candidates are doing everything they can to pretend it's not a problem.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:55 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,300,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Thats funny, because it seems to me like the 3 major candidates are doing everything they can to pretend it's not a problem.
There are a number of Congressional Representative trying to force a vote on a number of immigration related bills in the Congress - and these are people on both sides of the aisle

And actually, I hear the candidates (POTUS) bringing up illegal immigration quite often -

Old 03-11-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There are a number of Congressional Representative trying to force a vote on a number of immigration related bills in the Congress - and these are people on both sides of the aisle

And actually, I hear the candidates (POTUS) bringing up illegal immigration quite often -
Really? I only remember hearing it in the debates, when the questions were "forced" on the candidates by the commentators. Even then, the answers were evasive. I'd be interested to know when a candidate has brought the issue up ON THEIR OWN, in his/her stump speeches. Granted, I couldn't possibly watch every stump speech, but illegal immigration has been absent from every one I have seen. At least with the three remaining candidates. If you can point me in the right direction, I could pull up the speech on youtube. I would love to watch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration