Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You For or Against Immigration from Central America?
Yes. I'm for any form of immigration from Central America. 2 4.44%
No. I'm against all immigration from Central America. 15 33.33%
Yes, I'm for immigration if its legal. 25 55.56%
I don't care about immigration at all. 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:27 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,587,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Well, you're wrong. Nativism = Patriotism. And, there's nothing wrong with wanting our country to be what WE want it to be - WE choose. Just like every other country in the world chooses. Somehow, America is supposed to change for everyone else, and take in anyone who doesn't even WANT to be an American!

Just remember that WE fight the wars, and WE pay the taxes. We can choose what kind of society we want, just like any other country in the world, and believe me, THEY do it, and so can we.
Makes sense to ME..but I think 'the opposition' would tell you, "It doesn't matter what the REST of the world does....WE should be BETTER than that"...which, of course, is just ANOTHER form of bigotry...it says that the "rest of the world" can't help being 'nativist'..because they're "primitive". But WE should be "better" than that..(presumably because we're more 'enlightened' than 'they' are..).
Sounds pretty 'racist' to me.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 01:31 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,601,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Makes sense to ME..but I think 'the opposition' would tell you, "It doesn't matter what the REST of the world does....WE should be BETTER than that"...which, of course, is just ANOTHER form of bigotry...it says that the "rest of the world" can't help being 'nativist'..because they're "primitive". But WE should be "better" than that..(presumably because we're more 'enlightened' than 'they' are..).
Sounds pretty 'racist' to me.....

Nah, not racist, just highly manipulative...

Old 03-12-2008, 04:37 PM

24 posts, read 58,372 times
Thanx, Mac,for clearing up the issue of ,"who should give back what country to whoever used to live there!"This is stupidity,& in my previous posts are cases of proof.

To "Guy" ,whats so manipulative about patriatism?The Japs are so patriotic,they state that eventhough they are loosing countless thousands ,in population every year,they do not want immigration because they're proud of their country & want to keep a homogeneous society intact [moderator cut: racist comments] .Now thats as close to racism as you can get,but the UN or no one tells them so.In Mexico,do they want Central or South American emigres,hell no!

Why is it that the Eupropean caucasian dominated countries cannot refuse immigrants ,because of the fear that they'll be labeled "racsist" ,but all other non-caucasian countries can,with the guise that they want to keep their people homogeneous?I think the ones who are claiming racism ,are more racist then the ones who are blammed!

But quite frankly this thread is about should we allow more people in this crowded ,bursting at the seams with people nation.If you have half a brain you'll agree ,of course not.Gas is so high,in part, because there are prob. 300 mil legal residents,& prob. upwards of 20mil illegals,thus more demand prices go up,comprende?.Good paying Jobs are scarce,factories have moved to Mexico,China,the Pac rim,etc.,resources are inflating in price,& as the "Texan" said urban sprall is getting rediculous.Water is in dwindling supply in a lot of areas,we can go on & on.There is a direct correlation between masses of people living in poverty & overpopulation.Do we want to be another India or China?With our current rate of adding 1.25 million legal & 1 million illegal immigrants yearly ,we are well on our way of becoming like those countries.Now truthfully ,DO YOU WANT TO BECOME ANOTHER INDIA OR CHINA?

Last edited by madicarus2000; 03-17-2008 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: racist comments

Old 03-12-2008, 06:02 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,143,911 times
I hear a lot of British people are getting frustrated by the large influx of legal immigrants they are getting from other countries. They say the immigrants are "depreciating" their standard of living.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,223,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
I hear a lot of British people are getting frustrated by the large influx of legal immigrants they are getting from other countries. They say the immigrants are "depreciating" their standard of living.
Along with the French and even the Spanish.

First World cultures dealing with Third World immigrants (both legal and illegal)------and, the former are annoyed at best.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Along with the French and even the Spanish.

First World cultures dealing with Third World immigrants (both legal and illegal)------and, the former are annoyed at best.
The U.S went through something like that as well when the first round of European immigrants came through Ellis Island. They turned parts of New York into dumps.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
The U.S went through something like that as well when the first round of European immigrants came through Ellis Island. They turned parts of New York into dumps.
Correct: and the difference is that the vast majority of said immigrants came here legally------unlike today.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Correct: and the difference is that the vast majority of said immigrants came here legally------unlike today.
Correct. However, I'm talking about immigration in general. Look at L.A for example. Some parts are very upscale, some parts are dumps.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Correct. However, I'm talking about immigration in general. Look at L.A for example. Some parts are very upscale, some parts are dumps.
The differences are stark in LA; I lived in SoCal for almost 10 years.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:42 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,468,364 times
Quote:
Does this have something to do with the some of the eastern block countries joining the EU? I've heard there are some negative sentiments about Polish people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration