Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:37 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,209,236 times

Advertisements

Californians, with the recent education budget cuts (announcement) by Governor S., has the predominant political mood towards immigration changed at all? I'm reading that class sizes will be increased drastically, extra-curriculars will be cut, etc. I'm assuming that the state budget is at it's breaking point due to having to support a very big illegal population (from all countries). Is California looking to adopt restrictive measures towards the hiring of illegal immigrants much the same way as AZ has? Just wondering what the political mood/social mood is towards immigration policies towards schools, employment, etc. in light of the budget announcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 05:40 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,137,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Californians, with the recent education budget cuts (announcement) by Governor S., has the predominant political mood towards immigration changed at all? I'm reading that class sizes will be increased drastically, extra-curriculars will be cut, etc. I'm assuming that the state budget is at it's breaking point due to having to support a very big illegal population (from all countries). Is California looking to adopt restrictive measures towards the hiring of illegal immigrants much the same way as AZ has? Just wondering what the political mood/social mood is towards immigration policies towards schools, employment, etc. in light of the budget announcement.
I fail to see the correlation between cuts in school funds and immigration.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:46 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,341,285 times
well lots of the funds are used to put anchor babies through school, but the illegals do not pay into the school system.

So it is a loss.

In order to keep the many schools afloat they will have to take somethings away from each and every school.

Or what they could do is just shut down some of the schools altogether, and keep the others running like always with everything.

Citizens do not use up taxes because they pay into it, and take what they put into. Illegal immigrants do not pay taxes, but are just using them up.

In other words, citizens are not a drain on society, but illegal immigrants are a drain. A very unnecessary drain, if I may add.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:48 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,072,384 times
The mood is blase. Most Californians are educated enough to recognize that the economic downturn, high energy prices, and housing bubble deflation are responsible for budget cuts--and not the cheap labor of illegal immigrants.

The expectation is that low-income-earners, like illegal immigrants, will be most hurt by the economic downturn, but there is nothing California can do about it--(EDIT) like forcing employers to pay living wages and report/file/deduct income taxes on their labor (EDIT ENDS)--until the federal government stops sitting on it's hands and comes up with a reasonable and managable way for illegal immigrants to become documented laborers.

I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but that's the truth about the attitude of the majority of the population here. Those few sheltered wackos who think that illegal immigrants are some sort of sub-human species have mostly already left for Arizona or some other backwards state.

Last edited by sponger42; 03-13-2008 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 03-13-2008, 05:51 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,137,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
well lots of the funds are used to put anchor babies through school, but the illegals do not pay into the school system.

So it is a loss.

In order to keep the many schools afloat they will have to take somethings away from each and every school.

Or what they could do is just shut down some of the schools altogether, and keep the others running like always with everything.

Citizens do not use up taxes because they pay into it, and take what they put into. Illegal immigrants do not pay taxes, but are just using them up.

In other words, citizens are not a drain on society, but illegal immigrants are a drain. A very unnecessary drain, if I may add.
Very logical post but for the most part wrong. Gray Davis, our last Governor, drove the state of California $4 Billion dollars in debt. These budget cuts are to help pay for what this man did to California. This $4 Billion accounts to all the Social Services that were set up by Gray Davis to help out the low-income families, the blind, and other disabled peoples.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
The mood is blase. Most Californians are educated enough to recognize that the economic downturn, high energy prices, and housing bubble deflation are responsible for budget cuts--and not the cheap labor of illegal immigrants.

The expectation is that low-income-earners, like illegal immigrants, will be most hurt by the economic downturn, but there is nothing California can do about it--(EDIT) like forcing employers to pay living wages and report/file/deduct income taxes on their labor (EDIT ENDS)--until the federal government stops sitting on it's hands and comes up with a reasonable and managable way for illegal immigrants to become documented laborers.

I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but that's the truth about the attitude of the majority of the population here. Those few sheltered wackos who think that illegal immigrants are some sort of sub-human species have mostly already left for Arizona or some other backwards state.
For the record: us 'backwards' Arizonans; unlike 'trend setting' California stepped up to the plate and enacted laws to punish the illegal immigrants and their enablers.

Funny: I used to think that Calif was a cutting edge state, as of late, I am really starting to wonder.

As for the Federal government; at the moment they are a lost cause.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:06 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,095,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post

It sounds like California is working towards a goal that will benefit all involved.
I wish I could say that was happening in Arizona, but please do not send anymore that think illegals are sub-human, we have too many of those already. How was the state of California able to work together without all the negativity towards illegals, I say BRAVO to all of you!!
Sassy

Old 03-14-2008, 08:31 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,596,415 times
California is NOW in an $18 BILLION hole, so my opinion of those who are leaving the state is that they are among the SMARTEST. Send ALL the 'whackos' here, we need at least ONE western state with a majority of common sense residents...

Old 03-14-2008, 09:02 AM

635 posts, read 1,747,887 times
Without illegal immigrants, this state would fall apart economically. Oklahoma is learning the painful lesson of losing low end labor, and Arizona has been hit hard.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,596,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Without illegal immigrants, this state would fall apart economically. Oklahoma is learning the painful lesson of losing low end labor, and Arizona has been hit hard.
That is an ABSURD statement. There is NO shortage of labor here in Arizona, and what few jobs are being advertized are offering higher wages.

Losing illegal immigrants is a winning formula for legal workers AND taxpayers, there are a few thousand LESS ESOL students in the state ALREADY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration