Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:53 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,912,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I guess if we are all issued national id's, it would follow that we would be required to carry them?

No, papers? Of to the gulag.

Don't hand them over fast enough to please some slack-jawed cop; 45 days in the cooler!

So much for the "land of the free OR the home of the brave."
I could list many things that absolutely require an ID in order to to.
I can list many things the pro-illegal left demand ID's and strict government involvement as well.
I am amazed how the left cries foul at the idea of a national ID when it comes to illegals and voting. The left claims constitutional rhetoric and yet they ignore the constitution when it comes to our other freedoms.
I'm all for a national ID card. I already have one. It's my passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 07:15 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,266,787 times
We do not need a federal id, what we need is to make it mandatory that everyone have a state id or drivers license and then merge all state licenses and id's into a national system, most are already in the facial recognition system.
Quote:
https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/15/1...oto-realid-dmv
Forty-three of the 50 states have used some form of that technology, with seven of those states adopting the system for driver's licenses in the last three years. (The holdouts are California, Missouri, Louisiana, Mississippi, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.)Aug 15, 2016
There is no excuse in today's world for a person to not have an id, for the poor they need to make them free but everyone should have one.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:34 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,779,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I thought the Real ID act that was making states toughen up their requirements to get a Drivers license is just short of an ID that could be a national ID. What do you think? If all the states have the same requirements, and if they're iinked by computer, then there is the National ID, no?
Real ID doesn't help given no ID is needed to register to vote or to vote. The current system purposely makes it easy for illegals to vote.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:49 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,146,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're required to have your driver's license on you when you drive, aren't you? You are required to have your DL or state ID to board a plain and open a bank account, aren't you? There are many other examples also so what's the difference?

The reason we have laws and require ID for many things is the reason that we are the "land of free and home of the brave". Without these things we wouldn't be free but open to chaos and fraud. Surely you know all of this.

This

Old 03-13-2018, 07:51 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,146,333 times
A passport is not a national id. Ilegals get licenses in like 12 states

Old 03-13-2018, 08:11 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,266,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Ilegals get licenses in like 12 states
Yes but with facial recognition and everyone required to have id or a license the govt could match id's and licenses with other records to find all the illegals.

add, a ss number is required to get a license or should be, no valid ss# would be a hint for the govt to find the illegals.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:03 PM

1,330 posts, read 702,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
A passport is not a national id. Ilegals get licenses in like 12 states
Actually, yes, a Passport is a national ID. You can only get a passport if you are a US citizen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Real ID doesn't help given no ID is needed to register to vote or to vote. The current system purposely makes it easy for illegals to vote.
The answer I've always been given is poor people don't always have time to get a proper ID and still need to be able to vote. While I call BS on that (as there's no reason why an adult shouldn't have an ID as pretty much any job is going to require an ID of some sort for payroll reasons), that's what I've been told.

Personally, I think everyone should get a free ID and that it should be required to vote. That being said, with a lot of remote/mail in ballots, I'm not sure how you'd police that.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:38 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,924,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
That depends on the state. Some states require ID, some don't.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:28 AM

6,316 posts, read 3,463,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
You can get a passport card which is only good for travel to Canada and Mexico (correct me if I'm wrong). So that could be a national identity card. No need to create yet another layer of bureaucracy.
A passport card would be a financial hardship due to cost.

A passport or passport Card cost between $65/$100 plus taxes and other fees and if you want to expedite the time line it cost a lot more. (see website below) Most county court house offer the passport service with an added fee attached. You can renew online but can't apply for a new passport/passport card online only in person with birth certificate in hand.

Quote:
The U.S. Department State just this year has created a card that can be used instead of your normal passport book for travel by sea or land. This convenient card does not replace your passport book but can be used as another form of identification and can be used for traveling to Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean and Mexico. Please note however that the passport card is not accepted for air travel.
US Passport Now proudly offers through its expedited service, to now include the Passport Card. You can simply add this optional convenient card during your check out process, on step 2. We encourage our customers that are expediting their passports to consider this add on, as it is cheaper to receive when submitting a passport application. For an additional $30 dollars you can receive this card in addition to your normal passport book.

Passport Card - Get Your Passport Card Online in 3 Easy Steps!

Old 03-14-2018, 11:33 AM

32,861 posts, read 19,566,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Actually, yes, a Passport is a national ID. You can only get a passport if you are a US citizen.

The answer I've always been given is poor people don't always have time to get a proper ID and still need to be able to vote. While I call BS on that (as there's no reason why an adult shouldn't have an ID as pretty much any job is going to require an ID of some sort for payroll reasons), that's what I've been told.

Personally, I think everyone should get a free ID and that it should be required to vote. That being said, with a lot of remote/mail in ballots, I'm not sure how you'd police that.
Quote:
You can only get a passport if you are a US citizen.
think you should specify ""You can only get a US passport if you are a US citizen""

Quote:
That being said, with a lot of remote/mail in ballots,
we should eliminate the mail in ballots..UNLESS you happen to be out of the country/across the county for work purposes (like the military)...... voting as a right, should come with some PRIDE to walk/run/crawl into a polling place to cast that vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration