Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 12:08 PM

1,330 posts, read 703,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
think you should specify ""You can only get a US passport if you are a US citizen""

we should eliminate the mail in ballots..UNLESS you happen to be out of the country/across the county for work purposes (like the military)...... voting as a right, should come with some PRIDE to walk/run/crawl into a polling place to cast that vote
Sorry yeah. Assumed we were talking about US here. I'm not sure globally, but I'm like 95% sure that every other country operates the same way with only giving passports to full citizens.

As far as mail in ballots, I actually wish we would go 100% online or mail-in. First of all, not all voting centers are convenient and can be crowded. I remember waiting in line for like 45 minutes when I voted in 2012. Lines deter people and if it's not easy to do, people won't go. Also, life happens. Kids have soccer practice, work runs late, traffic jams etc make it harder to go in-person.

Secondly, mail-in ballots allow for people to actually research propositions and candidates. I remember looking over the 2016 election ballot that was mailed to me and was able to actually review each person and proposition and look at the positives and negatives of both. If I was in a voting booth, I wouldn't be able to do that and would either not vote for that section or go down party lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 01:41 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,995,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
think you should specify ""You can only get a US passport if you are a US citizen""

we should eliminate the mail in ballots..UNLESS you happen to be out of the country/across the county for work purposes (like the military)...... voting as a right, should come with some PRIDE to walk/run/crawl into a polling place to cast that vote
There are some places where counties might make the polling places in certain neighborhoods particularly difficult. There can be inadequate parking. There can be insufficient staff. I once waited four hours to vote. That can be impossible for people with children.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:03 AM

6,328 posts, read 3,474,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There are some places where counties might make the polling places in certain neighborhoods particularly difficult. There can be inadequate parking. There can be insufficient staff. I once waited four hours to vote. That can be impossible for people with children.
I live in a state where it is 100% mail in voting....I think that system can lead to a lot of illegal voting.
Aren't most voting stations in schools gyms? If not then maybe they should be.
If so I really don't see a parking problem.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I live in a state where it is 100% mail in voting....I think that system can lead to a lot of illegal voting.
Aren't most voting stations in schools gyms? If not then maybe they should be.
If so I really don't see a parking problem.
Where I live, most voting stations are in churches.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:09 AM

59,582 posts, read 27,706,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I could list many things that absolutely require an ID in order to to.
I can list many things the pro-illegal left demand ID's and strict government involvement as well.
I am amazed how the left cries foul at the idea of a national ID when it comes to illegals and voting. The left claims constitutional rhetoric and yet they ignore the constitution when it comes to our other freedoms.
I'm all for a national ID card. I already have one. It's my passport.
Isn't it a bit hypocritical to require a Photo ID to enter the Democrat National Convention but, NOT one to vote!

Old 03-19-2018, 11:12 AM

59,582 posts, read 27,706,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Actually, yes, a Passport is a national ID. You can only get a passport if you are a US citizen.

The answer I've always been given is poor people don't always have time to get a proper ID and still need to be able to vote. While I call BS on that (as there's no reason why an adult shouldn't have an ID as pretty much any job is going to require an ID of some sort for payroll reasons), that's what I've been told.

Personally, I think everyone should get a free ID and that it should be required to vote. That being said, with a lot of remote/mail in ballots, I'm not sure how you'd police that.
"The answer I've always been given is poor people don't always have time to get a proper ID"

On this site the claim has been made that BLACKS can't get Photo ID because (fill in the blank).

Old 03-19-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Where I live, most voting stations are in churches.
Right you are, but since Washington state has had mail-in voting for several years I forgot that part. But I think most churches have adequate parking as long as you vote and get out and don't stay and visit with friends.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Isn't it a bit hypocritical to require a Photo ID to enter the Democrat National Convention but, NOT one to vote!
The ACLU is one of the biggest opponents of national/voter ID but to enter their places of business you need an ID....strange but true.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The answer I've always been given is poor people don't always have time to get a proper ID"

On this site the claim has been made that BLACKS can't get Photo ID because (fill in the blank).
Because the ACLU/democrats don't want them to get an ID.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Right you are, but since Washington state has had mail-in voting for several years I forgot that part. But I think most churches have adequate parking as long as you vote and get out and don't stay and visit with friends.
4 hours waiting in line. Some of these churches have very limited parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration