Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 PM

65 posts, read 168,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I agree. And I personally know of several who are, indeed, very pissed and have no sympathy towards illegals at all.
So do I, and she gets very upset because she gets lumped in with the most visible and identifiable violators. Due to the fact she is Guatemalan and looks like the border crossers, people assume that she and her family are illegal, which couldn't be further from the truth. And while she is very proud of her culture and her heritage, she is just as proud to be an American, and her family became Americans the right way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,593,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
well dear, this country allows more LEGAL immigrants in here each year than THE REST OF THE WORLD COMBINED LETS IN !!!! so it can't be that tough to get in here. CRY ME A FRIGGIN RIVER!!!
Just call us "Kinder, Gentler Racists", I guess..... (sort of like "Benevolent, Big-Hearted Bigots)...

Old 03-26-2008, 09:58 PM

394 posts, read 1,009,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Just call us "Kinder, Gentler Racists", I guess..... (sort of like "Benevolent, Big-Hearted Bigots)...

Old 03-27-2008, 04:44 AM

18,523 posts, read 15,358,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I keep hearing that too. The solution, if this is really the case, would be obvious..let's TRIPLE the number of illegals, and we'll all be so rich NO ONE will have to work....we'll have more money than we know what to DO with....
Or inversely, lets get rid of them all just to punish ourselves for being such mean, horrible people. How dare us for wanting a sovereign nation of our own. How dare us for making laws and expecting them to be followed. We are so evil, we should get rid of all the illegals just to see all the turmoil it will cause us. If what you guys say is true, we will be losing tax revenue and paying more for goods. After all, we deserve it, so why fight us on it?

Old 03-27-2008, 03:19 PM

9,317 posts, read 18,795,949 times
Yes. I would gladly pay more for an Amercian worker picking fruit. I have a solution. Let the prisoners pick fruit and vegies.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:29 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,674,171 times
To OP's query: Yes, yes, yes and yes.

To the naive and uninformed poster who states illegals don't come in to the ER. What a joke! Spend a day in observation in any ER in this country. They are coming in droves daily to the already overburdened hospitals and clinics. They come in for a simple cold or for a rash, and drag all their dirty little "anchors" with them. Many wanting a refill on narcotics that some idiot in a clinic somewhere gave them for a stubbed toe, plus wanting all their other 10-12 Rx refilled (for which they did not keep their clinic appointment for). One little white pill brings good money on the streets after all.... They will come in to get cool from the hot summer heat or to get warmed from the winter blast outside, and to watch TV, and to socialize. I have seen it over and over. Would be quite funny as a sitcom (but too unPC to ever take off am sure). Get a clue.

Last edited by lilypad; 03-29-2008 at 09:39 AM..

Old 03-30-2008, 08:57 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,755,489 times
Name one thing that's cheaper due to illegal immigrants.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:03 AM

18,523 posts, read 15,358,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
On the surface, there are MANY things that are cheaper. How about apples, for example? BUT there are many hidden costs that outweigh the savings on labor. Health care costs. Education costs. General service and infrastructural use costs. The artificial deflation of American's wages. And how about the cost of our dignity. America should be proud to be a country without slave wages and working conditions. We cant really claim that under the current conditions.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:57 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,593,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
On the surface, there are MANY things that are cheaper. How about apples, for example? BUT there are many hidden costs that outweigh the savings on labor. Health care costs. Education costs. General service and infrastructural use costs. The artificial deflation of American's wages. And how about the cost of our dignity. America should be proud to be a country without slave wages and working conditions. We cant really claim that under the current conditions.
There's much truth in this, and I think back to the old "bracero" program that existed a few decades ago. If you TRULY can't 'get the crop picked' without bringing in outsiders, then FINE. Bring them in, pay them fairly for their work, and then send them home. No hard feelings, no false expectations. I never did get a really CLEAR reason why we can't do this any more.

Any "temp" job that paid a fair wage would have MANY 'takers' in MANY countries....this is obvious. But such an arrangement would NOT have the implication that the folks were under any sort of 'entitlement' to live here, as there is now. Such a false, unsubstantiated 'dream' can't HELP but cause resentment (as there is NOW).

If we were REALLY honest, and only wanted extra help to do jobs that couldn't be done with 'local help', it could easily be done by the above method. The fact that it is NOT, leads one to believe that there's more going on here than just 'filling jobs'...(for instance, maybe illegal immigration isn't being done only to benefit US, but to benefit OTHER nations....to whom illegal 'emigration' is a good way to keep THEIR economies---and their social systems... in 'order'. Fine for THEM, maybe...(one 'helluva social safety valve')...but definitely NOT so fine for US)....

I say, bring back the bracero program....monitor it fairly, make sure no one gets abused....and look at it as a 'business deal'. No false promises, no anger, no resentment....and, I suspect, plenty of 'takers'.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:41 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,494,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Street drugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration