Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,158,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
My friend Laura does not live with me. I would not knowingly harbor illegals. That would be stupid and I could be held liable.

If you think you can come to Chicago and just start rounding up illegals with your minutemen buddies you are sadly mistaken. Chicago PD and Mayor Daley will shut you down before you take one step. Many Chicago PD have family who are illegals. Do you really think they are going to let you come into our city and take their families away?
Did I say 'Minutemen'?

Please re-read my post: I stated 'ICE'---------besides; knowing the CPD (like any large organization), they will 'throw someone under the bus' from within their ranks to protect their own hides if ICE really started investigating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 03:55 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,876,944 times
Default Ice

I doubt ICE has the clout to take on Chicago. We take care of our own here (don't even think of bring up Rezko). Deportation only becomes an issue in a sanctuary city such as Chicago if you break the law.

Do you seriously think ICE is going to start rounding up illegals with jobs whose only crime is living in this country. I think not.

I live in Humboldt Park, where they harbored that lady in a church for over a year. She committed a felony working with forged papers at O'Hare Airport. That is serious stuff.

Some Mexican waiting on tables in a neighbor restaurant or framing a house is totally different. So long as the illegals work and don't commit felonies they will be left alone. You will not see massive deportation of the estimated 350,000 illegals living in Chicago.

Politically and logistically it is simply not possible. I hate to say it but in 2-3 years there will be like 20MM illegals and we will probably cave and give them some amnesty (we won't call it this of course) and maybe we charge them $5-10M a piece to be citizens. I would be only slighter better than last time in that we will get a fee.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:59 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,108,527 times
Humboldt1 I hope you lose your job to someone who is willing to do the same job for less. Dont think you are not replaceable. Even though I am against illegal immigration, illegal immigrants should get payed the same wages as a legal citizen. They should not be exploited. You dont have a problem with that so long as you save a dollar for a value meal.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:06 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,238,916 times
Quote:
My friend Laura does not live with me. I would not knowingly harbor illegals. That would be stupid and I could be held liable.

If you think you can come to Chicago and just start rounding up illegals with your minutemen buddies you are sadly mistaken. Chicago PD and Mayor Daley will shut you down before you take one step. Many Chicago PD have family who are illegals. Do you really think they are going to let you come into our city and take their families away?
Sigh Why do folks from chicago insist on portraying themselves like they are tougher than anyone else? Its like they have this Al Capone ideal to live up to.
Does Chicago rely on federal funding? Can all Chicago politicians and cops have the ability to stand up to an indepth irs audit? Didn't think so. These are just some of the many weapons the fed can bring to the game.
Deport all illegals and let them enter legally...

Old 04-02-2008, 04:12 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,095,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Humboldt1 I hope you lose your job to someone who is willing to do the same job for less. Dont think you are not replaceable. Even though I am against illegal immigration, illegal immigrants should get payed the same wages as a legal citizen. They should not be exploited. You dont have a problem with that so long as you save a dollar for a value meal.
That is a horrible thing to say to a member of this forum.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
That is a horrible thing to say to a member of this forum.
Too bad Miss Goody Two Shoes

Old 04-02-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I doubt ICE has the clout to take on Chicago. We take care of our own here (don't even think of bring up Rezko). Deportation only becomes an issue in a sanctuary city such as Chicago if you break the law.

Do you seriously think ICE is going to start rounding up illegals with jobs whose only crime is living in this country. I think not.

I live in Humboldt Park, where they harbored that lady in a church for over a year. She committed a felony working with forged papers at O'Hare Airport. That is serious stuff.

Some Mexican waiting on tables in a neighbor restaurant or framing a house is totally different. So long as the illegals work and don't commit felonies they will be left alone. You will not see massive deportation of the estimated 350,000 illegals living in Chicago.

Politically and logistically it is simply not possible. I hate to say it but in 2-3 years there will be like 20MM illegals and we will probably cave and give them some amnesty (we won't call it this of course) and maybe we charge them $5-10M a piece to be citizens. I would be only slighter better than last time in that we will get a fee.
Enjoy your friendship, if you are not harboring, you are not committing a crime. There are more that think like you do all the time.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:47 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,876,944 times
Sassy,

Not sure if more should think like me but thanks.

I used to support deportation until I got know these people.

Others,

Min wage is 7.50 in Illinois. I am advocating paying min wage. I just want to pay someone 10 an hour to flip burgers and make me pay extra for my value meal. I believe in paying min wage regardless of what it does to unemployment.

I am a commercial banker with a master's in econ so don't fear being outsourced. Most of the job cuts coming in banking will involve back office, retail and inv banking and CRE. I manage a portfolio with established relationships and call on long time prospects.

Even if the whole financial sector were to collapse I would have my real estate to fall back on but thanks for your concern.

Let me note that this whole post was written while driving thru pothole streets in Chicago.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Sassy,

Not sure if more should think like me but thanks.

I used to support deportation until I got know these people.

Others,

Min wage is 7.50 in Illinois. I am advocating paying min wage. I just want to pay someone 10 an hour to flip burgers and make me pay extra for my value meal. I believe in paying min wage regardless of what it does to unemployment.

I am a commercial banker with a master's in econ so don't fear being outsourced. Most of the job cuts coming in banking will involve back office, retail and inv banking and CRE. I manage a portfolio with established relationships and call on long time prospects.

Even if the whole financial sector were to collapse I would have my real estate to fall back on but thanks for your concern.

Let me note that this whole post was written while driving thru pothole streets in Chicago.
Sorry to you and Sassy for my childish comments. Peace

Old 04-02-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Sorry to you and Sassy for my childish comments. Peace
I much appreciate that, thank you. Peace Sassy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration