Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 04:50 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,609,858 times

Advertisements

A recent news report I heard recently for someone who had committed a mid-level kind of crime indicated that the suspect "was in the country illegally".

If we're just talking semantics, that seemed like a good description to use. It was accurate, it didn't sugarcoat the issue, but it didn't sensationalize the language either. People aren't "illegal" just for existing. However, what people do certainly can be, including being in a place that they have absolutely no legal right to be.

Just the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 05:46 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Yes I figured you would be using a different site most likely a Fox news site. Regardless that passage refers to the old immigration act of 1986. USCIS no longer uses the term "illegal alien." At that time [1986] the term "resident alien" was still in use. You will not find the term "illegal alien" used in any modern text of the USCIS. Although with Jeff Sessions in charge I wouldn't be surprised if it finds its way into the current text eventually.

Read the passage below

"Certain illegal aliens who were eligible to apply for temporary resident status under the legalization provision of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. To be eligible, aliens must have continuously resided in the United States in an unlawful status since January 1, 1982, not be excludable, and have entered the United States either 1) illegally before January 1, 1982, or 2) as temporary visitors before January 1, 1982, with their authorized stay expiring before that date or with the Government’s knowledge of their unlawful status before that date. Legalization consists of two stages--temporary and then permanent residency. In order to adjust to permanent status aliens must have had continuous residence in the United States, be admissible as an immigrant, and demonstrate at least a minimal understanding and knowledge of the English language and U.S. history and government."

Thank you for playing.

Playing what? What does Fox news have to do with anything I said. Your quote uses the term illegal aliens.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:57 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Yes I figured you would be using a different site most likely a Fox news site. Regardless that passage refers to the old immigration act of 1986. USCIS no longer uses the term "illegal alien." At that time [1986] the term "resident alien" was still in use. You will not find the term "illegal alien" used in any modern text of the USCIS. Although with Jeff Sessions in charge I wouldn't be surprised if it finds its way into the current text eventually.

Read the passage below

"Certain illegal aliens who were eligible to apply for temporary resident status under the legalization provision of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. To be eligible, aliens must have continuously resided in the United States in an unlawful status since January 1, 1982, not be excludable, and have entered the United States either 1) illegally before January 1, 1982, or 2) as temporary visitors before January 1, 1982, with their authorized stay expiring before that date or with the Government’s knowledge of their unlawful status before that date. Legalization consists of two stages--temporary and then permanent residency. In order to adjust to permanent status aliens must have had continuous residence in the United States, be admissible as an immigrant, and demonstrate at least a minimal understanding and knowledge of the English language and U.S. history and government."

Thank you for playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Playing what? What does Fox news have to do with anything I said. Your quote uses the term illegal aliens.

You didn't read anything I wrote and you have an issue with dates it seems. I told you where the term "illegal alien" came from and that USCIS no longer uses the term. The passage I quoted above which you seem to think is some sort of "I told you so" isn't that at all. The passage was written in 1986 and specially refers to "illegal aliens" since at the time non citizens were called "resident aliens". If you do a google search you can still find images of the "resident alien cards"

Additionally, Current day resident cards (aka green cards) do not contain the words alien or legal any where on their face.

Once again thank you for playing.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:26 PM

1,059 posts, read 831,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
500 kids were ripped from the arms of their parents, likely forever. Trump kidnapped those kids and deported the parents without their kids. There is no law that says the U.S. will kidnap the children of parents seeking asylum.

Call them anything you want.
Some are called "abandoned" because their loving mothers do not want them back. Still others have DNA that doesn't match their loving mothers. I am not including fathers because there are so few.

I highly doubt the US wants a bunch of foreign kids to care for when we have hundreds of thousands of our own who need help.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:46 PM

1,059 posts, read 831,002 times
Ahem, sorry, but "alien" is used by DHS and USCIS currently. Go check out their websites. The proper term is "illegal or undocumented alien" even though "undocumented" is used by MSM to lessen the stigma. An alien is described as "any person not a citizen or national of the United States." (See DHS Definition of Terms.). An immigrant is "an alien who has been granted the right by USCIS to reside permanently in the a United States and to work without restriction." There is another category called "nonimmigrants."

So... "immigration" has nothing to do with undocumented aliens.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:59 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
You didn't read anything I wrote and you have an issue with dates it seems. I told you where the term "illegal alien" came from and that USCIS no longer uses the term. The passage I quoted above which you seem to think is some sort of "I told you so" isn't that at all. The passage was written in 1986 and specially refers to "illegal aliens" since at the time non citizens were called "resident aliens". If you do a google search you can still find images of the "resident alien cards"

Additionally, Current day resident cards (aka green cards) do not contain the words alien or legal any where on their face.

Once again thank you for playing.

Again - playing what? Is this a game to you? It's not to me.

I read everything you wrote, which had little to do with what I said (Fox News? ). The term "illegal alien" is used on their site. That is all I said. I didn't say a word about green cards. I hear you about that term being from the past, and I will look into that claim when I have time.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:57 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
500 kids were ripped from the arms of their parents, likely forever. Trump kidnapped those kids and deported the parents without their kids. There is no law that says the U.S. will kidnap the children of parents seeking asylum.

Call them anything you want.
Those 500 kids couldn't be housed in detention centers with their adult companions, because those detention centers are only meant for adult occupants, not children. And even then the men are house separately from the women adults.

Well my preference would be to turn away the whole families entirely and not give them a hearing at all. But they have played liberals like you well. Pulling at your heart strings just because they brought their children along. Sorry, but just because they have kids, doesn't give them a free pass into the US.

And Canada wouldn't want them either. They have no skilled labour talents and no money. We don't need to be burdened with them. And especially since they don't speak English.

And I don't understand why these people don't at least try to learn English as soon as they think that they would like to move to the US. English is OUR language here. And if you don't speak English, then stay in Central America in one of the other countries there.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:13 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Those 500 kids couldn't be housed in detention centers with their adult companions, because those detention centers are only meant for adult occupants, not children. And even then the men are house separately from the women adults.

Well my preference would be to turn away the whole families entirely and not give them a hearing at all. But they have played liberals like you well. Pulling at your heart strings just because they brought their children along. Sorry, but just because they have kids, doesn't give them a free pass into the US.

And Canada wouldn't want them either. They have no skilled labour talents and no money. We don't need to be burdened with them. And especially since they don't speak English.

And I don't understand why these people don't at least try to learn English as soon as they think that they would like to move to the US. English is OUR language here. And if you don't speak English, then stay in Central America in one of the other countries there.
some of those kids aren't even theirs, they are using them, to get in....

also, they've played us all, b/c they can come over here, and I'm not just talking Mexican illegals, but all illegals, they get to come in, and we give them food stamps, money, all for free....and that was behind ObamaCare, not to help us, but to help anyone who comes into this country, on our pocket book....why? Because they need medical care and when it is needed they go to the hospitals and don't pay their bills and hospitals in proximity of where a lot of illegals live were having to shut down. No money.

Illegals are going to be our ruin, if this keeps up....look what's happening in California....?

Old 08-23-2018, 09:36 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
b/c in their mind, then they are not criminals.....
Exactly.
The Dems and their corrupt media wash the crime part off illegals. They want to sentimentalize these future democrat voters as hard working poor refugee victims doing the horrid type work Americans won’t do.
They do the same thing with Islamic terrorists by not allowing us to call them that.....

Democrats are undocumented traitors in my books.....

Old 08-23-2018, 10:27 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Exactly.
The Dems and their corrupt media wash the crime part off illegals. They want to sentimentalize these future democrat voters as hard working poor refugee victims doing the horrid type work Americans won’t do.
They do the same thing with Islamic terrorists by not allowing us to call them that.....

Democrats are undocumented traitors in my books.....
Well, the sad part is, politicians are using them....

Dems have always been known to want to label things, to make them seem less serious....and push their agendas....

What bothers me, is the fact that they can call Trump any name in the book, and yet, we, are unable to state truth, and say terrorists, or whatever....which is stating fact...but that's ok....talk about taking rights away.

They were carrying on so much so, about Trump having Kim Jong Un come to the White House, and yet, didn't have any concept of the fact that Obama hosted several Islamic terrorists leaders to the White House. The embarrassing part of all of this, is when I mentioned this, no one seemed to know about it, nor did they even realize, that is what leaders do, they sit down with one another and talk peace. Or try to? It is embarrassing, how asleep this nation has fallen. They honestly don't know any better, honest...My cousins are dems, and we discussed this, and they said, they are so embarrassed by their own party and how little they know....and how they call everyone racist, b/c they disagree with them.

This is how America is raising their kids, and it's very sad. They kick and scream when they don't get their way, and so do the parents. Call each other names....and put softer labels on criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration