Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:32 AM

493 posts, read 638,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Hmm.. so your not against illegals coming from Vietnam or Canada? Illegal is illegal buddy. Illegal knows no race or color.
I'm against them all...Mexicans and those who come through Mexico are the most prevalent...honestly...you kinda bore me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,302,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
Let's be fair...the folks that flooded NYC in the 19th century and early 20th were poor, dirty, loud and gang members too. Look at gangs of New York. The same can be said that the majority of illegals are law abiding. But there are way too many that don't follow the rules. I have zero tolerance for crime, flith, noise pollution from people who aren't suppose to be here in the first place! Now you can't ask an American to leave either. Take it easy.

Hum....................just a point of clarification but how can one equate a Sillywood fictional movie, one that might have a partial glimmer of reality with actual immigration into New York during that time period?????
Most accounts I have read would seem to refute the Silly wood version.
That being said, did immigrants bring poverty and crime with them.....Of course but not to the level depicted.
Do the illegals bring crime and poverty with them from Old Mexico....again of course.....but I do reject the thesis that ALL are crime infested with the exception that all who are here illegally are criminals in that true and lawful sense.

Can any one refute that statement??????

I still want them out. I feel threatened and exposed. I am fearful of their claim to kick us whites out.(not really, wish they would try) My surname is English in composition. WHere will I go. How will I live in a country that my ancestors left over two hundred years ago. Why then should I go back if I was here so long.
Maybe they should go back.
Wait a minute......aren't the surnames of Ortiz, Rameriz, Rodergize, Rosario,
also European. Then those of Mexican descent are actually European so they should go back also.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,781,705 times
Quote:
Doesn't surprise me. What happened to New York when the fresh immigrants from Europe came to live there?
Conditions were brought down, people were living in crappy conditions, a lot of crime came about. In the late 1800's there were violent labor union strikes.

The previous waves of immigration ended when Americans would become alarmed by the conditions they saw being brought in. It seems there's a cycle -- first the greedy types decide they should have unlimited cheap labor, there should be no competition for employees. They find a country from which to import desperately poor and just keep bringing them in, but then the consequences of that have Americans demanding it be stopped.

Greedy employers are rarely inspired to stop the shipments of their cheap workers on their own. If one illegal gets too big for his britches and asks for a wage or a paid vacation day, he can easily be dumped and replaced with another.

Heck -- why stop with Mexicans who'll work for $3 an hour, why not import from even poorer countries and bring in workers who'll jump at $0.50 an hour?

Old 04-03-2008, 07:59 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Conditions were brought down, people were living in crappy conditions, a lot of crime came about. In the late 1800's there were violent labor union strikes.

The previous waves of immigration ended when Americans would become alarmed by the conditions they saw being brought in. It seems there's a cycle -- first the greedy types decide they should have unlimited cheap labor, there should be no competition for employees. They find a country from which to import desperately poor and just keep bringing them in, but then the consequences of that have Americans demanding it be stopped.

Greedy employers are rarely inspired to stop the shipments of their cheap workers on their own. If one illegal gets too big for his britches and asks for a wage or a paid vacation day, he can easily be dumped and replaced with another.

Heck -- why stop with Mexicans who'll work for $3 an hour, why not import from even poorer countries and bring in workers who'll jump at $0.50 an hour?
True enough.

We shut off most immigration from 1920-65.

Now; it is past time to reassess our present immigration policies.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:50 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,470,921 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter, the U.S's large New English cities weren't lovable sanctuaries. They were cesspools of crime and plain filth. (garbage wise). They used to toss their "excrements" out their window.
"Nary a pot to **** in, or a window to throw it out of." Ever wonder why that saying isn't often heard these days? Could it be that we have this crazy new invention called indoor plumbing? Welcome to the 21st century....

I pity those posters in this thread who obtain their history of US immigration from a Martin Scorsese flick. Pathetic.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:32 AM

493 posts, read 638,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
"Nary a pot to **** in, or a window to throw it out of." Ever wonder why that saying isn't often heard these days? Could it be that we have this crazy new invention called indoor plumbing? Welcome to the 21st century....

I pity those posters in this thread who obtain their history of US immigration from a Martin Scorsese flick. Pathetic.
LOL and Raging Bull is a more accurate portrayal of American History than Gangs of New York which was obviously pointing out the folly of the Nativists...much unlike those of us who descended from legally migrating Europeans who simply don't want these Mod Cut crooks in our country!

Last edited by madicarus2000; 04-03-2008 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: language

Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,519,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

There are many books over the years that use "Gangs of New York" in it, it is not just a movie.

To me it is a clear and concise way to convey a thought, you obviously got the point and now you are trying to demean the poster for using it.

Recommended reading list:
“The Gangs of New York: An Informal History of the Underworld,” by Herbert Asbury, Jorge Luis (Forward).
“Five Points: The Nineteenth Century New York City Neighborhood that Invented Tap Dance Stole Elections and Became the Worlds Most Notorious Slum,” by Tyler Anbinder.
“Empire City: New York Through the Centuries,” Kenneth T. Jackson and David S. Dunbar, editors.
“Gotham: A History of New York City to 1898,” by Edwin Borrows and Mike Wallace.
“New York by Gas-Light and Other Urban Sketches,” by George G. Foster, edited and with an introduction by Stuart M. Blumin. Originally published in 1850, new edition 1990.
“The New Metropolis: New York City, 1840 – 1857,” by Edward K. Spann
“Immigrant Life in New York City, 1825-1863,” by Robert Ernst (1949)

Old 04-03-2008, 10:50 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,346,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
I'm against them all...Mexicans and those who come through Mexico are the most prevalent...honestly...you kinda bore me...
I'm against them all, too, and these guys who keep talking about other illegal immigrants just won't ADMIT that most of them - MILLIONS - are from Mexico or other countries SOB, but mostly Mexico.

Get real. These illegals are our biggest problem, obviously. This is where we must spend our money, time and resources until we get this insane dismissal of our own laws under control on the SOUTHERN BORDER.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:56 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,470,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
There are many books over the years that use "Gangs of New York" in it, it is not just a movie.

To me it is a clear and concise way to convey a thought, you obviously got the point and now you are trying to demean the poster for using it.

Recommended reading list:
“The Gangs of New York: An Informal History of the Underworld,” by Herbert Asbury, Jorge Luis (Forward).
“Five Points: The Nineteenth Century New York City Neighborhood that Invented Tap Dance Stole Elections and Became the Worlds Most Notorious Slum,” by Tyler Anbinder.
“Empire City: New York Through the Centuries,” Kenneth T. Jackson and David S. Dunbar, editors.
“Gotham: A History of New York City to 1898,” by Edwin Borrows and Mike Wallace.
“New York by Gas-Light and Other Urban Sketches,” by George G. Foster, edited and with an introduction by Stuart M. Blumin. Originally published in 1850, new edition 1990.
“The New Metropolis: New York City, 1840 – 1857,” by Edward K. Spann
“Immigrant Life in New York City, 1825-1863,” by Robert Ernst (1949)
Please do not speak for my intentions, of which you know nothing. I have not delegated this authority to you or anyone else in this board.

I did not say that crap didn't happen 150 years ago, all I said was that I pity anyone who gets their history lesson from a movie.

By the way, my emphasis is on the 150 years ago part - would you not say that we as humans throughout most of the world have not changed for the better as far as throwing brown stuff out the window? Making comparisons to things that happened in the US 150 years ago is a weak excuse for present-day ignorance of human waste-borne illnesses and general trashiness.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:02 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,023,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
Do you see these people getting educated? Do you see them improving...they breed like rabbits and the taxpayer picks up the tab...they blare stupid music with equipment they bought because they got their groceries with food stamps...I don't want them here...they are ILLEGAL!!!! I do not want their cultural values!!!!!!!! Got It?!

and you want to move to mexifornia? i'd really think about that if i were you. you've seen nothing about illegals until you have lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration