Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 06:43 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'm not condoning what they've done, I think that sucks as well.
Since you DON'T condone what they've done, and you think it "sucks", you should also understand that there is going to be SOME general resentment among the local US population....Not "hate", for the most part, not "treatment worse than that of cattle"...but certainly impatience, frustration, and growing resentment.

Look, this isn't a "new" problem..this has been out of hand for two decades or so. We've had SEVERAL amnesties...and these served mostly not to "satisfy" the beneficiaries, but to produce demands for MORE amnesties. People are growing tired of the endless excuses, and they're getting 'grumpy'..and this SURPRISES you? Honestly?

People don't like to feel their voices aren't heard. They get real annoyed, whether it's homeless people camping on their lawn, neighbors parking in their driveway, or ungrateful illegals entering their country, telling the citizens "we're here to stay, and there's nothing you can do about it".

I don't know where you got your idea of human nature, but THAT scenario is a TEXTBOOK example of a recipe for anger and resentment. And you find this "odd"? You don't "get" this? Seems pretty plain to me. I move onto your property and refuse to leave, and you're gonna dislike me. Makes sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 06:49 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,575,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Since you DON'T condone what they've done, and you think it "sucks", you should also understand that there is going to be SOME general resentment among the local US population....Not "hate", for the most part, not "treatment worse than that of cattle"...but certainly impatience, frustration, and growing resentment.

Look, this isn't a "new" problem..this has been out of hand for two decades or so. We've had SEVERAL amnesties...and these served mostly not to "satisfy" the beneficiaries, but to produce demands for MORE amnesties. People are growing tired of the endless excuses, and they're getting 'grumpy'..and this SURPRISES you? Honestly?

People don't like to feel their voices aren't heard. They get real annoyed, whether it's homeless people camping on their lawn, neighbors parking in their driveway, or ungrateful illegals entering their country, telling the citizens "we're here to stay, and there's nothing you can do about it".

I don't know where you got your idea of human nature, but THAT scenario is a TEXTBOOK example of a recipe for anger and resentment. And you find this "odd"? You don't "get" this? Seems pretty plain to me. I move onto your property and refuse to leave, and you're gonna dislike me. Makes sense to me.
Well like I mentioned before, you have your opinion & I have mine. I don't think either of them will be changed.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:05 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Logic, like the mind, is a terrible thing to waste. Thanks for trying.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:11 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,416,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Oh back off!

I'm so freakin' sick and tired of your condescending attitude toward me and anybody else who doesn't happen to be Mexican, or some other variety of Hispanic (Filipinos not withstanding), I could barf.

You have no idea of what my life has been like, no idea of where I come from, or what I've done or or what I've been through and I certainly have no desire to spread it all over a public forum. But suffice it to say that I have not lived a life of leisure. My siblings and I spent many years of our young lives wondering where our next meal was coming from. My parents were extremely hard working people--caring people who took in each and every stray kid that came along. You have no clue as to the number of people of every shape and color that I still call my sisters or my brothers today. We had love, but we never had money.

Hispanics are not the only people who have ever had it rough and it's about g*ddamn time you climbed down off of your high horse and realized it. Hispanics were not the only people struggling for civil rights in the 1960's although I realize that it behooves you to overlook the immense struggle that African Americans went through in this country just to be recognized as human beings.

My brother-in-law's parents (Japanese Americans) were rounded up and interred for the duration of World War II. My former neighbor in California is a 90 year old survivor of Dachau. I have cousins still living on the Kiowa-Apache reservation in Oklahoma. The last five years of my life is the first time in my life since I left my husband that I have not had to work 18 hours a day or more on my feet just to keep a roof over my children's heads. Have you ever had to live in a homeless shelter, stuffing what money you had in your underwear at night because people would try to roll you while you slept? I have, but I pulled myself out of that hell hole. It's about time that you grew up and realized that it's freakin' tough all over.

I didn't work in the fields for a bloody lark. I worked in the fields because I had to, back breaking work for 12 hours a day and there were quite a few hardworking Hispanic people working right beside me. There were also quite a few hard working Black people as well as hard working White people. It's about damn time you realized that Hispanics are not the only hard working people in this country. There are millions of folks of every race, creed, and color in this country who well know the value of a hard day's work.

You can desist with the thinly veiled patronizing posts disguised in quasi-educational tones. I'm sure I know just as much, if not more than you do about the history of this country. American history is my minor, so you can spare me your oh-so edifying lectures.
Thank you for that powerful testimony. You are an amazing woman. Sorry I can't rep you.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Thank you for that powerful testimony. You are an amazing woman. Sorry I can't rep you.
I'll double ditto that!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,235,629 times
As we have seen in Kele's post. Not all americans are fat and lazy spoiled and afraid of work.
Kele I had no Idea!!! I bow to you. I have no words to express how your post has moved me.
Wish I had read it sooner....

Old 09-25-2008, 09:38 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,095,002 times
Quote:
You have your opinion, I have mine. I think it's disgusting that people can justify someone else being killed or beaten or harassed, etc. simply because they either perceive that person is here illegally or even if that person is here illegally. Many of these people are not intruding on your life or the lives of the people who look down on them or hurt them, yet they've been treated worse than cattle. Sad state of affairs to treat others that way. What's that saying? Oh yes, "do unto others.."
It is amazing isn't it? They don't even see them as human, and I don't think that they think anymore for a legal.
They would like a war with Mexico. It was like when I went to my first and last bull fight, I was rooting for the bull.
I think most of this group that cannot find anything even simple concern for the Illegals, maybe this group should be on the front lines.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:51 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,153,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
It is amazing isn't it? They don't even see them as human, and I don't think that they think anymore for a legal.
They would like a war with Mexico. It was like when I went to my first and last bull fight, I was rooting for the bull.
I think most of this group that cannot find anything even simple concern for the Illegals, maybe this group should be on the front lines.
I have concern for the illegals: it is better for them to be home vs. endangering themselves (and their kids) here in the USA by their presence.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
You're comparing America to the middle east? Interesting. Yeah, sorry but there is a difference, a huge difference. If you don't see that, then I guess what you're saying is that people here share the type of hostility & actions that people in the middle east do. People come here for a better life, they don't come here to get killed. America is not a country that people should be afraid of coming to, but according to you, they should be afraid. According to you, it's their own fault that horrible things happen to them. Interesting how you make no mention of the people who carry out those crimes.
Kafar,
There was a time when America was different. If you read some of the other sub forums you would get different feeling than on here.
It is not all Americans that you see on this forum and we don't all agree. We can understand what they are going through.
The biggest difference is the ones that care about another human being (no matter where they come from) and those that have zero tolerance. They will tell you that it is the ILLEGAL which is basically the hispanics and anyone that defends them.
I think they enjoy tackling someone that cannot protect themselves.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_builder View Post
I hope you have some proof and examples to prove a ridiculous statement like that. I've yet to meet anyone go "half-cocked" and harm any immigrant, legal or illegal so it's hard for me to believe "so many" are doing this.
So if you do not see something with your own eyes, you don't believe it happens? You can believe what you want, a lot of people would rather not know what goes on and maybe covered up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration